Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on EP121 Touch screen problem

Beans

Re: Ubuntu on EP121 Touch screen problem

Quote Originally Posted by pirohmaniac View Post
    I hope KDE widgets respond to multitouch!

edit: No wait! What I REALLY hope is that Asus releases an update to allow more than two-#%#$$#-finger touch!
    So you haven't been able to get multitouch to work?
    There might be an update as Windows 8 comes out. Though, I wouldn't hold my breath.

This is a great device though. It's much more responsive than my TX2's ever were. Yes, I know, capacitive vs. resistive. But still, this feels like a more proper device where the TX2's multitouch was more of a cheap "proof of concept"-thing.

Beans

I finally got multitouch (and the buttons) to work on my ep121.
    I have precise (12.4) running. Wacom works out of the box of course. For the touch to work I did:
    i) install eGalax driver.
    It says Kernel 3.0.x but the 3.2 Kernel from ubuntu precise seems to be fine.
    It has all the modules the installation instruction asks for, so installation goes smoothly, but still no touch -yet. Problem is: the device is not recognized by the usb-hid driver. So:

ii) install hid-multitouch
    modprobe hid-multitouch
    (if it works for you put it in /etc/modules)

sudo su -
    cd /sys/module/hid_multitouch/drivers/hid: hid-multitouch
    echo "3 oeef aoo1 1" > new_id

(this actually comes from here:
    comments.gmane.org/gmane/linux.kernel.input/22516
    I have put it in /etc/rc.local before the starting of the eGTouchd
    )

This does the magic:
    Now touch should work but with inverted y.
    So edit /etc/eGTouchd.ini to have Direction set to 2 (i.e. invert y).
    this is single touch so far.
    iii) modify and install multitouch_drv for xorg
    Now to get multitouch to work I tried the X11 multitouch driver (put it in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/52-egalax-virtual.conf as the driver instead of evdev).
    This gave me some dual touch, but the driver is made for relative input only and ther seems no way to configure it diffrently. So in the end I had to modify the source and compile it myself to report absolute coordinatees and to make a single touch act as a click.
    But now I do have a working dual touch. One finger works as expected and with two I can scroll...

For the buttons you have to recompile the eeepc-wmi kernel driver as mentioned earlier.

Alltogether I am quite happy with the setup
    (and that in gimp I can now draw with the pen, erase with its back, and *smear* with the finger is priceless )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tannalv View Post
    So you haven't been able to get multitouch to work?
    There might be an update as Windows 8 comes out. Though, I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Two-finger multitouch does work in Windows 7 but I've been holding off on Linux until I felt comfortable I could use it without any issues. It's for remote access to our customers so it has to be ready now when I need it.

I think I might follow timhoffmans post there and see what happens. If I can get it so the screen lock rotates the screen instead I'll have everything I need.

As for my multitouch comment, I'm hoping Asus decided to be lazy and limit the capability of the firmware instead of build a full multitouch GUI for Windows.

Beans

So... There's a 3.3-rc2 out. I promised I would post, but there's a better way. Go to ubuntu's own site for experimental kernels:
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

There you'll find the latest 3.3-rc2 (with the Ubuntu patches, I'd suppose?).
    Also, there you have both i386 and x64 versions of them.

You need to start off with the linux-headers-<numbers>_all.deb. Then you can install the regular two packages for either i386 or x64.

Thanks for the reply, piro.

And thank you very much for your guide, timh.

Beans

I just tried the 3.3-rc3 on a fresh install. IT WORKS! There's a small issue with right-click but it's good enough. Goodbye Winblows you crappy piece of crapware. Hello awesomeness.
    Now my "Powered by Ubuntu" sticker actually means something. I just have to decide if I want Ubuntu... or Kubuntu...
    Last edited by pirohmaniac; February 13th, 2012 at 11:56 PM.

Beans

Wink Re: Ubuntu on EP121 Touch screen problem

Anyone is tracking down the gsensor driver ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pcit View Post
    Anyone is tracking down the gsensor driver ?
    I don't think anyone has even found it in Linux yet or if they have, they're not telling.

Beans

I did some digging and found this particular gsensor is called ATK0201 according to the windows driver. I checked the Linux driver, there is atk0100 which suppose to be hardware temp. Monitor service. I also heard there might be some gsensor related code for wetab/exopc we can use, but haven't spent extensive time yet.

I haven't found atk0201 native Linux driver either..

Beans

So, I played around with Android x86 on the device. It performs really nicely. Only thing is, bluetooth doesn't work on it. So I replace my wireless card with a new Intel 6230. And then bluetooth works! But wireless doesn't.

If you're eager to play around with Android, you can find it here:
    http://android-x86.googlecode.com/fi...sus_laptop.iso

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tannalv View Post
    So, I played around with Android x86 on the device. It performs really nicely. Only thing is, bluetooth doesn't work on it. So I replace my wireless card with a new Intel 6230. And then bluetooth works! But wireless doesn't.

If you're eager to play around with Android, you can find it here:
    http://android-x86.googlecode.com/fi...sus_laptop.iso
    I had a Tegra2 tablet for a little while. Took it back because I wanted my Asus instead. Can't use Blender on Android.
    Also http://www.blendernation.com/2012/03...s-and-android/

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast