Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Linux Based Computer - But Not Marketed as Such?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: New Linux Based Computer - But Not Marketed as Such?

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Limits View Post
    On their web site it says it's "virus resistant".
    As if that's a legitimate technical claim. Linux in and of itself is resistant because there's not as many Linux viruses out there as there are Mac and Windows viruses. So their claim isnt based on any actual technical details, just that there's not as many viruses actually out there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Time View Post
    As if that's a legitimate technical claim. Linux in and of itself is resistant because there's not as many Linux viruses out there as there are Mac and Windows viruses. So their claim isnt based on any actual technical details, just that there's not as many viruses actually out there.
    Not too many people care if it's a legitimate technical claim, as in it is invulnerable code. Almost are viruses, etc., target Windows. Linux machines are, in fact, resistant to anything that depends on Windows code being there. Ditto OS X.

Presumably, a major target for this machine consists of older people who have older Windows computers that are driving them crazy because of malware. (I know people in that category who just stopped using the PC.) They'd rather not bang their heads on the wall dealing with all that nonsense. The "virus resistant" thing will catch their attention.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Merged two similar threads.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A massive assumption that 'seniors' have a lesser ability to grasp new concepts here. I know of plenty of people who are considered seniors that have a similar level of knowledge to a lot of youthful 'techy' kids. You might as well have branded it 'fisher price' somehow.

I figure by the picture that it's just a slightly gaudier version of the chrome OS concept. Which I am sad to say I am yet to try.

I smell a whiff of patronizing the old though.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmag+c View Post
    A massive assumption that 'seniors' have a lesser ability to grasp new concepts here. I know of plenty of people who are considered seniors that have a similar level of knowledge to a lot of youthful 'techy' kids. You might as well have branded it 'fisher price' somehow.

I figure by the picture that it's just a slightly gaudier version of the chrome OS concept. Which I am sad to say I am yet to try.

I smell a whiff of patronizing the old though.
    Assuming lesser ability is just insulting. Patronizing might be too nice, exploiting is the point.

Yes, from their site:
    The "Seniors" market segment is huge, and will be growing.
    And they hope to get in on it. I really don't blame them for trying to corner the market, but they should be more subtle about who they're targeting---and not charge so much.

I tried chrome OS for a few days and it was perfect for doing the same things this one does. And it's free. Trouble is, too many people are not aware of the free ones or think they're too hard to run.

Did I read somewhere that Firefox was building their own OS or was it just a 'they should'? Many people do only need a good browser OS to get on the web. But for $600 dollars? Not likely.
    Last edited by critin; October 8th, 2012 at 01:36 AM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Minimal install, add Xfce4, Thunderbird, Firefox, a word processor and a couple of other things and what's the diff? I have a computer I couldn't give away running that, forget the six hundred clams ...

And yes, the whole thing stinks of 'ageism'. Wouldn't go near it myself ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: New Linux Based Computer - But Not Marketed as Such?

Quote Originally Posted by critin View Post
    Did I read somewhere that Firefox was building their own OS or was it just a 'they should'?
    Just cause you are old, does not mean you are not computer savvy.

Yeah, the FF OS is for real.

Firefox OS (project name: Boot to Gecko also known as B2G)[2] is an open source operating system for smartphones and tablet computers
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox_OS
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I wouldn't be surprised if this type of "all-in-one" simplified system has a base audience of 200k to 2,000k in the next 5 years, just in the US, Canada, UK & AusNZ markets.

Here why it's possible:

- Competive price ($600-$1000) (for an all-in-one machine with touch screen and keyboard, built in wireless, camera, microphone, speakers, 500gb HD, CD/DVD, etc.)
    - Free Software (web and local machine apps, from custom repo),
    - Free Tech Support dial-in and chat for 1 year
    - Custom interface that's easier to use than Ipad, Win Legacy or 8, Buntu's et all, Android, WebOS, etc..
    - Channel partners in the target audience

There is no competing OS/Hardware combo that's as simple as this (in my view), plus, unlike tablet technology, you're getting a real system with HDD, Standard Ports, Print Support, "Complex-Mature Apps", and security that's on par with Linux/Unix systems. You can actually "create" on this system rather than just "consume" data. Yes, there is some creation also on Tablet/Smart phone systems, but it's actually quite paltry in comparison (online shopping, email replies, texting, etc.).

Anyway, the above are just some of my personal views and opinions, . . . and I'm in no way connected with this product or company (and don't plan to buy or become affiliated).

The video "born before 64" on their website is the most informative, and provides a decent idea of what the product can do for the right audience.

The business potential is real - - if Telikin doesn't mess it up.
    Last edited by GregA; October 8th, 2012 at 05:21 AM. Reason: beau coup typos

Beans

I wonder what happens if you press Ctrl+Alt+F1?

EDIT: Just noticed this https://www.telikin.com/img/prod_gal...kin18_back.jpg looks a lot like this http://msi.com/product/aio/Wind-Top-AE1920.html.
    Last edited by catlover2; October 8th, 2012 at 06:48 AM.
    AMD Athlon II x4 640 - ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 - 12GB RAM - XFX ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB w/21.5" Monitor - Assorted HDDs - Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120Gb SSD - [ArchLinux - Windows 7 - Mac OS X 10.6.8]
    If all else fails, read the instructions.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think you're right on - Telikin is obviously using MSI as hardware source. There's some variation in mobo & chipset specs, but MSI has a large array of HW, even getting into higher-end graphics gaming.

So, it seems the main contribution of Telikin is to customize Tiny Core Linux to support their Touch-Screen design. Actually, pretty smart. The venturists have pumped some capital into this. We'll see if marketing, strong user support, and WOM (word of mouth) will be enough to make it a commercial success story.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast