Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

Beans

Re: Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A and UX32VD

hi,
    I have a UX31a with Ubuntu 12.04 installed. I've managed to get almost everything working but i'm having a few issues when connecting to an external screen using the HDMI port.
    Firstly, if i boot up with it connected then it will boot up using the external screen but the laptop screen is blank. Nothing i do can bring the laptop screen up. I've tried disconnecting the HDMI connector to see if it would switch back but nothing happens.

If i boot up not connected to the external screen and connect later everything is fine if the displays are mirrored. However, if i uncheck mirroring then after a minute the task bars disappear and the the computer goes into a semi freeze state. Things that are running continue but you cannot do anything else.

Any suggestions would be extremely welcome
    Cheers

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by astromatt View Post
    hi,
    I have a UX31a with Ubuntu 12.04 installed. I've managed to get almost everything working but i'm having a few issues when connecting to an external screen using the HDMI port.
    Firstly, if i boot up with it connected then it will boot up using the external screen but the laptop screen is blank. Nothing i do can bring the laptop screen up. I've tried disconnecting the HDMI connector to see if it would switch back but nothing happens.

If i boot up not connected to the external screen and connect later everything is fine if the displays are mirrored. However, if i uncheck mirroring then after a minute the task bars disappear and the the computer goes into a semi freeze state. Things that are running continue but you cannot do anything else.

Any suggestions would be extremely welcome
    Cheers
    I have a UX32VD running Linux Mint 13, and the first problem is the same for me, the second problem does not exist for me, at least not with mate (gnome2), cinnamon (gnome3) also has problems here.

Beans

The second problem does not exist for me. I'm using ubuntu 12.04 with kernel 3.4.4 and unity.

Beans

Hi,

I had a problem for the last couple of days. I was on ubuntu 12.10 with kernel 3.5-8 and suddenly one day (without performing system updates or tweaks) I wasn't being able to get to the login screen. The screen was off and the caps-lock led was blinking.
    I had to remove the asus_wmi_0.2 to get it working.
    Then I updated to Kernel 3.6-rc1 and everything seemed to be working ok yesterday, but today it didn't boot correctly again. I was only able to get to the login screen by going to recovery mode and then proceeding to normal boot.
    I thought it was a graphics problem since the Nvidia card is not being recognized so I did this:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/16944.../169743#169743

This fixed the issue for me, although I'm not sure exactly what happened. Could somebody give me some pointers on how to debug booting issues like this?

Also, does anybody got the Nvidia 620m working?

Thanks,

Update 1: it turns out that my issue wasn't fixed. Apparently something gets corrupted between boots and it gets fixed momentarily by updating the grub file. I don't know how to get the boot log for this issue but I was able to capture a 'screen-shot' of the kernel-panic. Any help would be very appreciated.

Last edited by ambidextrvs; August 18th, 2012 at 12:34 AM. Reason: update1

Beans

My computer hasn't shown the first problem (that of just showing a black screen). However, it has stopped loading on the Ubuntu splash screen (where the "loading" bar (I've got the Xubuntu splash) goes from left to right) several times. I think it's related to some kind of graphics issue, because after restarting in recovery mode, and doing a normal start, it boots up properly, but running not the right Ivy Bridge GPU driver, but some kind of general VESA-like driver. It hasn't got proper acceleration, and runs glxspheres at 20fps instead of 60fps. It also runs the Unity 2d environment. I have to reboot again to get it back to normal. I think I have the very latest Nvidia and mesa drivers, but that hasn't fixed the problem for me.

And no, the Nvidia card does not work when using Bumblebee ("optirun firefox", for example). It complains of not being able to load a driver for the card.

Quote Originally Posted by ambidextrvs View Post
    Hi,

I had a problem for the last couple of days. I was on ubuntu 12.10 with kernel 3.5-8 and suddenly one day (without performing system updates or tweaks) I wasn't being able to get to the login screen. The screen was off and the caps-lock led was blinking.
    I had to remove the asus_wmi_0.2 to get it working.
    Then I updated to Kernel 3.6-rc1 and everything seemed to be working ok yesterday, but today it didn't boot correctly again. I was only able to get to the login screen by going to recovery mode and then proceeding to normal boot.
    I thought it was a graphics problem since the Nvidia card is not being recognized so I did this:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/16944.../169743#169743

This fixed the issue for me, although I'm not sure exactly what happened. Could somebody give me some pointers on how to debug booting issues like this?

Also, does anybody got the Nvidia 620m working?

Thanks,

Update 1: it turns out that my issue wasn't fixed. Apparently something gets corrupted between boots and it gets fixed momentarily by updating the grub file. I don't know how to get the boot log for this issue but I was able to capture a 'screen-shot' of the kernel-panic. Any help would be very appreciated.

Beans

Hi, I've been trying to fix my issues with no success. I re-installed my system using the following partitioning.
    Code:
    ssd:
      24GB / 
    hdd:
      496GB /home
        4GB swap
    I installed ubuntu 12.10 with kernel 3.5.0-6 then I updated to 3.5.0-10 and everything was working perfectly except for the fn-keys.

Today I updated to kernel 3.5.0-11 where the fn-keys are working but it started to fail when booting. I'm only able to get in if I go through recovery mode first or pressing 'e' in the grub menu, set the gfxmode to text and remove "quiet splash".
    This is the screen where I get stuck:

I'm guessing the fn-keys kernel module introduces some issue at booting time but I have no idea how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Beans

In the last days (I'm guessing because of updates) the USB-System of my UX32VD crashed quite often - meaning it did not respond to connecting of a new usb-device, which could only be fixed through rebooting.

I thought maybe the xorg-edgers ppa was at fault, and since I wasn't able to purge the ppa correctly, I reinstalled my linux mint 13 (based on ubuntu 12.04) - however, even a clean fresh install without the xorg-edgers ppa but with all other upgrades installed had the same problem, even worse, I started to get regular complete freezes, that leave the notebook completly unresponsive, both over network and also locally through mouse & keyboard. alt+print+r also doesn't release the keyboard to switch to a tty - completly frozen.
    Another problem of the reinstall, this dkms patch to make the (most) fn keys work as they should does only do as it should on every other boot. so around 50% of the time the fn-keys don't work for me now.

Does somebody have a ubuntu working better as that at the moment, and if so, how did you achieve that?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kaefert66014235 View Post
    In the last days (I'm guessing because of updates) the USB-System of my UX32VD crashed quite often - meaning it did not respond to connecting of a new usb-device, which could only be fixed through rebooting.

I thought maybe the xorg-edgers ppa was at fault, and since I wasn't able to purge the ppa correctly, I reinstalled my linux mint 13 (based on ubuntu 12.04) - however, even a clean fresh install without the xorg-edgers ppa but with all other upgrades installed had the same problem, even worse, I started to get regular complete freezes, that leave the notebook completly unresponsive, both over network and also locally through mouse & keyboard. alt+print+r also doesn't release the keyboard to switch to a tty - completly frozen.
    Another problem of the reinstall, this dkms patch to make the (most) fn keys work as they should does only do as it should on every other boot. so around 50% of the time the fn-keys don't work for me now.

Does somebody have a ubuntu working better as that at the moment, and if so, how did you achieve that?
    I run quantal on mine right now, and it works as it should. Also Fn-keys works (using the asus_wmi deb). Using 3g usb modems works fine also. Tried a few logitech mice aswell with no problems.

I dont have anything but standard quantal repo's and medibuntu enabled.

PS: suspend, wireless on/off and backlight works.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ambidextrvs View Post
    Hi, I've been trying to fix my issues with no success. I re-installed my system using the following partitioning.
    Code:
    ssd:
      24GB / 
    hdd:
      496GB /home
        4GB swap
    I installed ubuntu 12.10 with kernel 3.5.0-6 then I updated to 3.5.0-10 and everything was working perfectly except for the fn-keys.

Today I updated to kernel 3.5.0-11 where the fn-keys are working but it started to fail when booting. I'm only able to get in if I go through recovery mode first or pressing 'e' in the grub menu, set the gfxmode to text and remove "quiet splash".
    This is the screen where I get stuck:

I'm guessing the fn-keys kernel module introduces some issue at booting time but I have no idea how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Boot in recovery mode, and sudo dpkg -P asus-wmi-dkms. then reinstall the package.

Sometimes I find that dkms doesn't sync with the kernel updates.

btw. my kernel parameters are:

Code:
    linux   /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-11-generic root=UUID=ab91c99c-1fb6-4f11-a6e0-a0e425cf6114 ro   crashkernel=384M-2G:64M,2G-:128M quiet splash nmi_watchdog=0 apparmor=0 pcie_aspm=force drm.vblankoffdelay=1 i915.semaphores=1 $vt_handoff
    Last edited by screemo; August 22nd, 2012 at 11:06 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by screemo View Post
    I run quantal on mine right now, and it works as it should. Also Fn-keys works (using the asus_wmi deb). Using 3g usb modems works fine also. Tried a few logitech mice aswell with no problems.

I dont have anything but standard quantal repo's and medibuntu enabled.

PS: suspend, wireless on/off and backlight works.
    Okey, so I'm guessing you mean the 12.10 alpha3 from here:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QuantalQuetz...verview/Alpha3

by "backlight works", do you mean fn+F5 and fn+F6 works?!
    or do you mean by an applet or a manually set key combination that runs some script?
    suspend and wireless on/off work for me also with linux mint 13 ~ 12.04 with the kernel ultrablech 3.2.0-29-generic #46-Ubuntu

about the asus_wmi deb, do you use 0.2 or 999.01? the wiki says you should use 999.01 by default and 0.2 only when also using the xorg-edgers repo, but the 999.01 gave me some errors therefore I used the 0.2

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast