Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USB printers installation issue on Karmic

Beans

Re: USB printers installation issue on Karmic

Quote Originally Posted by atentik View Post
    What is going on with Karmic? Non comparable to Windows 7. Trouble free.
    Your joking, right?
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/17434..._problems.html -- how about THIS forum that currently has 5927 threads with Windows 7 related issues?

And this is after millions of dollars and years of development by both Microsoft and hardware vendors for what amounts to a service pack for Vista. It is hardly trouble free. We've got some serious Stockholm Syndrome going on with some people's perception of Microsoft products.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by HotShotDJ View Post
    Your joking, right?
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/17434..._problems.html -- how about THIS forum that currently has 5927 threads with Windows 7 related issues?

And this is after millions of dollars and years of development by both Microsoft and hardware vendors for what amounts to a service pack for Vista. It is hardly trouble free. We've got some serious Stockholm Syndrome going on with some people's perception of Microsoft products.
    Nope. I have had and used Windows 7 for 3 months plus without any problems. At least with Windows, you know you'd get help when you ask....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hey guys. Don't make this a windows is better than ubuntu thread it's very uninteresting.

Please help out with this strange bug. Well I found this. So it is or has been a known bug it seems.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ka...5?comments=all

Someone suggests that this would fix the problem
    Code:
    sudo aa-enforce cupsd
    It still doesn't let me see my printer via lsusb, but it does change things in dmesg |tail
    Code:
    [ 2850.049704] type=1505 audit(1257360769.685:22): operation="profile_replace" pid=6172 name=/usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf
    [ 2850.049942] type=1505 audit(1257360769.685:23): operation="profile_replace" pid=6172 name=/usr/sbin/cupsd
    [ 2869.722555] usb 2-3: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 3
    [ 2869.961662] usb 2-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    [ 2869.976057] usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 3 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04F9 pid 0x0033
    I posted earlier dmesg earlier in this thread for comparison. But the new thing is that now it actually starts to mention cups.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by zob View Post
    Hey guys. Don't make this a windows is better than ubuntu thread it's very uninteresting.

Please help out with this strange bug. Well I found this. So it is or has been a known bug it seems.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ka...5?comments=all

Someone suggests that this would fix the problem
    Code:
    sudo aa-enforce cupsd
    It still doesn't let me see my printer via lsusb, but it does change things in dmesg |tail
    Code:
    [ 2850.049704] type=1505 audit(1257360769.685:22): operation="profile_replace" pid=6172 name=/usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf
    [ 2850.049942] type=1505 audit(1257360769.685:23): operation="profile_replace" pid=6172 name=/usr/sbin/cupsd
    [ 2869.722555] usb 2-3: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 3
    [ 2869.961662] usb 2-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    [ 2869.976057] usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 3 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04F9 pid 0x0033
    I posted earlier dmesg earlier in this thread for comparison. But the new thing is that now it actually starts to mention cups.
    Thanks. I was able to run the command and be able to now see my printer by
    lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 006: ID 03f0:1d17 Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 1320
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 058f:9360 Alcor Micro Corp. 8-in-1 Media Card Reader
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    But when I go to System->Administration->Printing, I still get the same error message:
    CUPS server error
    There was an error during the CUPS operation: 'client-error-bad-request'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Sorry to say. I don't know where to go from here. Looks like a bug.
    Might have something to do with apparmor protecting CUPS, but damn it's difficult.

Beans

Oh, I agree with you... a Windows vs. Linux flame-fest is completely uninteresting. At the same time, the whole "Why can't Linux make bug free software like Microsoft does" canard needs to be challenged where ever it rears its ugly head.

But beyond that, I certainly think we should return to our regularly scheduled program already in progress. I wish I could help with the USB thing, but I cannot replicate it on my system. The auto-detection of both my USB printer and network printer worked as expected on my PanP5 with a fresh install of Karmic. But that information is not particularly helpful to those experiencing problems.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sorry to say. I don't know where to go from here. Looks like a bug.
    Might have something to do with apparmor protecting CUPS, but damn it's difficult.
    If it was me and I was unable to get the printer working with 9.10, yet it works great in 9.04. then thinking "printer server" is where I would go.

Then again, I am tripping over my extra computers in my home office. All you really need is something running 9.04 or earlier, then share the printer. But that is just me.

The beauty of a printer server is it removes the 9.10 USB problem pretty easily and as CUPS does have the driver for the printer, this might be the best solution available.
    Last edited by ctsdownloads; November 5th, 2009 at 01:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well I wish I had one ctsdownloads.
    For now I posted my version of the bug here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ka...5?comments=all, I hope anyone in the same situation will help solve this issue which looks strange to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Try going to Software Sources, clicking the Updates tab and selecting backports.

Then check for updates on your system and run them. Then reboot.

Did that help?

If not, try booting from a live CD and trying your printer from there (9.10, that is). If that works better, you might consider doing a clean install (particularly if you did an online upgrade to start with).
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well well. You're right thomasaaron. Running from the LiveCD I installed from actually makes it work instantly. My printer just shows up and is recognized as a HL-2140, which is correct. Now I guess that is kind of bad news, 'cause next is the fresh install.

For the moment I installed the proposed updates, I don't know about the backports. Not very stable are they?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast