Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cant Burn Anything

Beans

Re: Cant Burn Anything

Mine came with A102 but i have read about others using A101 with same problem. I ended up getting this:
    http://www.eeshops.com/sony-nec-bdr-...00s-p-368.html
    Dell lists them in their Driver Firmware page for the XPS1645 so i know it will fit. I will report back in a couple of weeks (still has not arrived) if this drive works but i googled and found nobody with any issues.
    Dell Studio XPS 1645, Intel I7 720QM, 4GB DDR 3 1333, SONY NEC BC-5600S Blu-Ray / dvd drive, ATI 4670

Beans

The actual problem for me was device-manager-plasmoid 1.1.1, replacing it with device-notifier everything works again.
    Dell Studio XPS 1645, Intel I7 720QM, 4GB DDR 3 1333, SONY NEC BC-5600S Blu-Ray / dvd drive, ATI 4670

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

@surfed: could I ask you what packages contain "device-notifier"? Is it specific of a particular installation or is it also available for the standard & plain ubuntu (karmic)?

I have the same problem with a

vendor= hp
    Identification= DVDRAM GSA-U20N
    Revision= HC11
    Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pstickar View Post
    @surfed: could I ask you what packages contain "device-notifier"? Is it specific of a particular installation or is it also available for the standard & plain ubuntu (karmic)?

I have the same problem with a

vendor= hp
    Identification= DVDRAM GSA-U20N
    Revision= HC11
    Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW
    Its a 3rd party app i got from kdelook.org
    To find out if another program is causing issues, boot into single user mode and burn a disk from there. If it works you have another program causing issues by accessing the disk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

could you explain again in plain english?
    i've got to admit i'm quite new to linux, and have a similar problem wit my burner, it worked fine in windows, but in ubuntu i cant get it to copy anything yet... thanks!

forgot to mention (if it makes any difference) i now run 9.10...
    Last edited by pous; March 1st, 2010 at 06:55 AM.
    To fight and conquer in all your battles is not the pinnacle of excellence.
    Subjugating the enemy without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence.

-Sun Tzu, The Art of WAR

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pous View Post
    could you explain again in plain english?
    i've got to admit i'm quite new to linux, and have a similar problem wit my burner, it worked fine in windows, but in ubuntu i cant get it to copy anything yet... thanks!

forgot to mention (if it makes any difference) i now run 9.10...
    Post more details on your error / messages so we can pinpoint your particular issue. In my case it ended up being a compatibility issue with my drives firmware and Linux. An easy way to verify if thats an issue is to insert an blank cd and the in a terminal type dmesg. If you get sence errors than you might have this problem but more likely its just a setup problem.

Beans

I get those sense errors in dmesg when i insert a disc... I did actually get it to burn ONCE a while after I first got laptop.. I was in irc askin for help on it, and I went to the shell to run the same command Ive run a dozen times, to get the error message, and it burned...and hasnt burned since... weird.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by duffydack View Post
    I get those sense errors in dmesg when i insert a disc... I did actually get it to burn ONCE a while after I first got laptop.. I was in irc askin for help on it, and I went to the shell to run the same command Ive run a dozen times, to get the error message, and it burned...and hasnt burned since... weird.
    Same for me, its a drive issue, not much you can do except get a different drive. There is a long conversation by me with thomas from the devburn-devel mailing list on the issue and basically we gave up on getting this drive / firmware combo to work. One thing we did not try as i ended up getting another drive and selling this one is downgrading the firmware to A101.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by surfed View Post
    Same for me, its a drive issue, not much you can do except get a different drive. There is a long conversation by me with thomas from the devburn-devel mailing list on the issue and basically we gave up on getting this drive / firmware combo to work. One thing we did not try as i ended up getting another drive and selling this one is downgrading the firmware to A101.
    I dont use it that often so I`ll have to put up with booting windows to burn...bit of a bummer but if as you say its never going to get a fix, it`ll have to do..I`d like to kill windows partition altogether as well..

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by surfed View Post
    I was going to suggest trying to force the burn in TAO mode instead of SAO as it appears to be using. Did you try that?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast