Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Beans

Smile Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by glenn45 View Post
    Bobsong.
    What if I would like to add another repository that is not on the official list? Say I would like to add a repository where Beryl is available? Should I just modify my repository list? Anyway , Im going to test it tomorrow and see what what happens.
    Yo, glenn45. Excellent question. This question is answered in the FAQs.

I want to do some research in order to:
    • Add extra repositories like, say, the PLF files *Completed, added to main tutorial*
    • Use the current repositories downloaded to install new software (rather than downloading again) *Completed, added to main tutorial*
    • Figure out how to inform 'apt', 'synaptic' and 'aptitude' that the repositories are valid and can be trusted. *Completed, added to main tutorial*
    Last edited by BobSongs; February 4th, 2008 at 06:22 AM. Reason: corrected the answer to reflect the text that is now in the main tutorial.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Hey BobSongs! Are we the only two people (well maybe 3 ) interested on this how to? Not much traffic here, eh? Anyways, keep up the good work. I wasnt able to test last week my idea of adding new repositories, kinda busy lately.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thank you Bobsongs,
    Very beautifull HOWTO!!
    Clear, Concise and Complete.
    Thank you
    Regards,
    Abhi Kalyan
    http://www.kgsplus.com

Beans

Wink Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by Abhi Kalyan View Post
    Thank you Bobsongs,
    Very beautifull HOWTO!!
    Clear, Concise and Complete.
    Thank you
    You're very, very welcome. Your words are kind and appreciated.

Beans

Hey BobSongs! Are we the only two people (well maybe 3 ) interested on this how to? Not much traffic here, eh? Anyways, keep up the good work. I wasnt able to test last week my idea of adding new repositories, kinda busy lately.

I have a philosophy about HowTo's. 1) If they're done right and cover just about every angle the questions should be few; 2) It's got to be something I return to for it's practical value. With this one that's the case.

Yeah; it's a weird one. But I didn't like having to run around to various tutorials on the net to try to make sense of how this is done. If consolidated and local I figured those who roam these forums would appreciate it when the need arose. While I'm appreciative of the sources I often find that certain details are not clearly laid out. Sure: it gets figured out eventually, but usually with a loss of time.

If you can add anything at all to the tutorial I'd be much obliged. You'll be credited with the additional info.
    Last edited by BobSongs; March 24th, 2007 at 01:35 AM.

Beans

tyvm

i have to do a server install so this saves alot of time.

Beans

Wink Re: How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs

[Post removed. Text imported into the main tutorial.]
    Last edited by BobSongs; September 11th, 2007 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Text added to main tutorial.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chyper View Post
    tyvm

i have to do a server install so this saves alot of time.

If you'd like to add any info to my tutorial to help others accomplish the same thing (y'know: some extra tweaks and stuff) send me a painfully detailed listing of what you did and I'll add it to the main tutorial, crediting you.

What I mean by "painful" is: don't skip any steps. If you created a directory... note it. If you tweaked this file and edited that one: note it. Make it such that a total beginner could follow it.

Last edited by BobSongs; March 23rd, 2007 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Changed the font

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Great addition, Bobsongs!
    I'm going to try this. One question: i can run the commands in the directory where I downloaded the previous repositories without fear of breaking it right? Or should I run the command in a different directory?
    Cheers!
    Glenn

Beans

Great addition, Bobsongs!
    I'm going to try this. One question: i can run the commands in the directory where I downloaded the previous repositories without fear of breaking it right? Or should I run the command in a different directory?
    Cheers!
    Glenn
    I have two hard drives. The system disk is actually larger than my personal files disk that is mounted as /home.

To run this tutorial myself, I created a new folder from the very root: /UbuntuRepos. I set its permissions to be free for all (I have my doubts anyone will roam my hard drive, but that's another issue). Then I ran the download there because of all the extra hard drive space.

It was necessary to change path names in the tutorial. To make that easier for folks I'm tempted to color them differently but I haven't worked out a scheme yet. This requires more thought.

But your answer is: yes. You can run this application anywhere and your system will be safe. Just don't run this program in a folder that contains valuable date (see the FAQs for why).
    Last edited by BobSongs; February 4th, 2008 at 06:30 AM. Reason: new answer for the actual point of the question.

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast