Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jumping cursor while typing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Jumping cursor while typing

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    ... Currently, the best solution I can provide is to turn the trackpad off (Fn+F1) while typing, then turn it back on when you're finished.
    How to do it on Starling? Fn+F1 puts it to sleep? what command can I use to put it in keyboard shortcuts?
    Many people would sooner die than think. In fact they do. - B. Russell

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Unhappy Re: Jumping cursor while typing

I have this same problem and these solutions are all pretty lame. I am now contorting my wrists to keep my hands away from the touchpad while typing, and the cursor still jumps around sometimes.

Why aren't there proper touchpad controls/drivers on these machines? (I'm on a brand new Starling.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rubyji View Post
    I have this same problem and these solutions are all pretty lame. I am now contorting my wrists to keep my hands away from the touchpad while typing, and the cursor still jumps around sometimes.

Why aren't there proper touchpad controls/drivers on these machines? (I'm on a brand new Starling.)
    Hopefully, this issue will be corrected in the next release of Ubuntu. That's what we have been promised.
    For now, you may consider using a Bluetooth mouse and to click on Fn-F1. Solves this problem quite nicely. No more worrying about the position of the wrists.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

[Duplicate, please ignore/delete]
    Last edited by rubyji; January 19th, 2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Duplicate

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

[Duplicate, please ignore/delete]
    Last edited by rubyji; January 19th, 2011 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Duplicate

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by volkerbradley View Post
    For now, you may consider using a Bluetooth mouse and to click on Fn-F1. Solves this problem quite nicely. No more worrying about the position of the wrists.
    Well unfortunately the Starling doesn't have Bluetooth as far as I can tell - this in spite of the fact that there is a BT icon on the keyboard (grumble).

Beans

In the days before I had Bluetooth, I preferred a small wireless USB antenna and a small mouse from Logitech. Example: http://www.techfresh.net/wp-content/...-v450-nano.jpg
    I suspect you have considered all of this. Don't mean to be bothersome.

Beans

In the days before I had Bluetooth, I preferred a small wireless USB antenna and a small mouse from Logitech. Example: http://www.techfresh.net/wp-content/...-v450-nano.jpg
    I suspect you have considered all of this. Don't mean to be bothersome.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    No, it doesn't. We're aware of this issue. It's complicated by the fact that this trackpad actually works in a way similar to a theramin than a Synaptics touchpad. Currently, the best solution I can provide is to turn the trackpad off (Fn+F1) while typing, then turn it back on when you're finished.
    I now have Natty installed. My touchpad is still nearly unusable because it is overly sensitive. Has this problem been resolved with some new drivers or a new program in Natty?

Beans

Ian from system76.com> wrote today:
    We do have a configuration utility available though. It's separate from the general Ubuntu Touchpad configuration, and the instructions for getting it set up are available on the Serval knowledge base article, here:

http://www.knowledge76.com/index.php/SerP6

I installed this application and it solved the jumping cursor for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast