Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Funambol server on Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

Lightbulb HOWTO: Funambol server on Ubuntu

Hi all,

I wanted to synchronize address book and calendar data of Thunderbird/Lightning clients, possibly Outlook on Windows, Mac OSX ical, Nokia mobile phone address book/calendar etc.

After searching in vain for idiot-proof documentation for Funambol server on Ubuntu I've written my own, with thanks to marckaplan's guide and others (see references in document).
    I succeeded in setting up Funambol 6.5 community edition on Ubuntu 8.10 or thereabouts; I've finally switched to Funambol 8 on Ubuntu 9.10 and it still seems to work on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx/10.04. I've now moved to Funambol 9 on Debian 6, but the principles remain the same.

If this howto is up to scratch, I'd like to put it into the documentation wiki, but first I'm eagerly awaiting comments.
    I've pasted parts of the text below for reference/keyword hits on forum searches. Looks like it needs to be reformatted quite a bit; at least the OpenOffice document looks a bit better (see attachment below).
    Keywords: Funambol, Ubuntu, Server, SyncML, OMA, PostgreSQL, java, Tomcat

Reactions welcome.

regards,
    jb

Funambol on Ubuntu

This document described how I set up Funambol on Ubuntu server. Of course, there are more ways of doing this. I've tried to document the reasons why I've chosen this path.
    The Configuration and Funambol administration client sections are required for proper operation; at least some of the other staps can probably be omitted, but I haven't tested all possible configuration combinations.
    I've marked things that may need further improvement, but the text should be usable as-is.
    If you want to send me improvements to this text, please do so!
    hakkie42 at gmail free mail
    © 2010 jimbeam. Feel free to (re)use this text, but no warranties, express or implied, are given.

Configuration
    Below is a table where you can record your specific configuration information. The rest of the guide should explain the meaning of the terms or indicate where you can find more information.
    Item
    Suggested value/value
    Description
    Install location
    /opt/Funambol
    I suggest keeping the default value of /opt/Funambol. We assume you used this setting in the text below. Change to match your own setting if that differs.
    Host
    funambolserver
    Host name that will become part of the sync URL. If you don't have proper DNS set up, use the IP address of the server.
    Tomcat HTTP sync port
    <nothing, as we use the Apache web server reverse proxy>
    Port Funambol/Tomcat listens on for sync requests. Configured in /opt/Funambol/tools/tomcat/conf/server.xml
    Default 8080
    Tomcat HTTPS sync port
    <nothing, as we use the Apache web server reverse proxy>
    Port Funambol/Tomcat listens on for sync requests over SSL/TLS.
    Configured in /opt/Funambol/tools/tomcat/conf/server.xml
    Default 8443
    Tomcat AJP port
    Port Funambol/Tomcat listens on for AJP proxy requests. We use this for our Apache web server reverse proxy.
    Configured in /opt/Funambol/tools/tomcat/conf/server.xml
    Default 8009
    Funambol admin username
    admin
    Administrative user used by Funambol Administration tool to manage Funambol (users, devices etc)
    Funambol admin password
    sa
    Password for that user. Good idea to change this!
    Sync URL
    https://<serverip>:8080/funambol/ds
    or
    https://serverip/sync
    URL that you use on your client devices to synchronize. Consists of hostname Funambol/Tomcat listens on, Tomcat http sync port and /funambol/ds, unless you changed that in the config ;)
    You can use the shorter form if you use my Apache reverse proxy configuration.
    External sync URL
    https://<publicserverip>:34528/funambol/ds
    or
    https://<publicserverip>:34528/sync
    Same as Sync URL but for users outside your LAN. Giving a suggested value is impossible as it depends on your external ip address/name.
    You can also use the shorter form if you use my Apache reverse proxy configuration.
    JAVA_HOME
    /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/
    Environment variable/location of the Java JDK/JRE/whatever it's called this week.
    If you strip Java from the Funambol bundle (as I do), Funambol needs to point to the proper JAVA_HOME directory
    jdbc.classpath
    /usr/share/java/postgresql.jar
    Sync server Java database driver setting in /opt/Funambol/ds-server/install.properties
    It points to the jar file containing the PostgreSQL driver.
    jdbc.driver
    org.postgresql.Driver
    Sync server Java database driver setting in /opt/Funambol/ds-server/install.properties
    Java driver class. Modificaton should be unnecessary, unless you use a non-PostgreSQL database.
    jdbc.url
    jdbc:postgresql://localhost/funambol
    URL to the Postgresql server and database.
    jdbc.user, same as funambol user
    funambol
    User name for the funambol database on PostgreSQL
    jdbc.password
    4890hjEla#aas&d2sk2
    Password for the user connecting to the funambol database on PostgreSQL

Full HOWTO (OpenOffice and PDF):
    Funambol on Ubuntu 20110312.odt
    Funambol on Ubuntu 20110312.zip
    Last edited by hakkie42@gmail.com; March 12th, 2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Fixed errors: database config, AJP proxy connection, Apache section, PostgreSQL backup command

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Funambol server on Ubuntu

very nice, I was looking for similar document for Ubuntu, so glad you have done it and wish you could have done sooner.

Beans
    Hidden!

Glad you like it. Like you, I wish it had been done before

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

eeek!!! your post jussssssssst reminded me that I did sign up for funambol and 'promised' to test it on my BB8900 and SonyEricsson P1i but never got to it (sooo busy). THANK YOU for the doc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

you sir, are my personal hero for the next few months!

I'll be reading your tutorial troughly. Been messing with funambol as with as basic settings as possible and the damn server refuses to run after a while without any idea howto debug the problem...

thank you!

Groetjes,
    Ed
    No matter how great your product is, if you don't throw time and money against it it's a sh#tt# system. ubuntu <-> apple <-> microsoft

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi guys,

Thanks! If anything in the doc is incomplete, wrong or vague, let me know...

Ciao,
    me

Beans

this is a great document, thank you. Would you like to share it on Funambol Forge wiki, too? I think it would make life easier for many Funambol users out there.

Beans
    Hidden!

3L33T, any news on those clients? If you have any info, I'd be glad to update the doc!
    Last edited by hakkie42@gmail.com; June 13th, 2010 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Clarity

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by smaffulli View Post
    this is a great document, thank you. Would you like to share it on Funambol Forge wiki, too? I think it would make life easier for many Funambol users out there.
    I'd love to. I suppose a page in the CategoryServerUser called something like HOWTOFunambolPostgreSQLUbuntu would be appropriate?
    I'll try and upload it there. If you or anyone else would like to do it, please be my guest.

BTW, I've slightly updated the document, to fix some potential issues with PostgreSQL user names (only happens on non-default install of PostgreSQL on Ubuntu), and hopefully clarify the text in places.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by hakkie42@gmail.com View Post
    3L33T, any news on those clients? If you have any info, I'd be glad to update the doc!
    Well It does work on a Nokia E52 phone... No glitches... Just make sure that when erging email and phone contacts, all contacts have the name field filled.. or you'll hava a lot of nameless contacts on your phone.
    No matter how great your product is, if you don't throw time and money against it it's a sh#tt# system. ubuntu <-> apple <-> microsoft

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast