Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sbackup not working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Sbackup not working

Hey all, I upgraded to 10.04. Was using deja dup, but found it would not back up anymore. I tried using sbackup and it seems to take all the configuration, but when I choose back up now, it shows the process ID but sits idle. The destination drive shows no new files.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Beans

Re: Sbackup not working

Same problem here on laptop and desktop; did not find yet a usefull alternative.

Apparently known bug:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index...60&atid=761640

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the information! Glad to see it's a bug and not me.. I guess it involves daja dup back up as well. I'll wait and see what they come up with as a fix.

Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

i had the same problem. Im willing to bet you can run it from terminal though and it'll work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Would you know the command for sbackup in terminal? I may try that.
    In the mean time,, I unloaded sbackup and installed NSsbackup from synaptic. It worked! Don't ask me how? The files are backed up as tar files. At least I can use it until a fix comes out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

sudo sbackupd

further commands and restore commands can be found here:
    http://www.linuxcertif.com/man/8/sbackupd/en/
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ba...pleBackupSuite
    Last edited by 98cwitr; May 12th, 2010 at 02:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks 98.. Appreciate the help!

Beans

Re: Sbackup not working - Solution inside!

I should start out by stating that I did not find this solution, but merely tried what somebody else suggested on SourceForge. So here we go:

There is a bug in a configuration file of Simple Backup Config, were a function call is missing a parameter, causing the process you start with the "Backup Now" Button to immediately go Zombie.

Here is the how to fix, step by step:

Code:
    sudo gedit /usr/share/sbackup/simple-backup-config.py
    Find the following function: def on_backupnow_clicked(self, *args):

Once you find it, edit the next line, which looks like this:

pid = os.spawnl( os.P_NOWAIT, self.conf.get("places", "prefix") + "/sbin/sbackupd" )

edit to look like the code box below:

Code:
     pid = os.spawnl( os.P_NOWAIT, self.conf.get("places", "prefix") + "/sbin/sbackupd", "/dev/null" )
    Don't forget to save..

You are now back in business, the "Backup Now" button will work again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

recluce: Thanks so much for posting this. Your fix worked like a charm. I don't know anything about that function, but I'm guessing from looking at the output of ps that that last argument tells it what to do with STDERR? In any case, you're a life saver.

It sounds like this problem has been present for a while. If the fix is so simple, I really don't understand why the package hasn't been updated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by unperson View Post
    recluce: Thanks so much for posting this. Your fix worked like a charm. I don't know anything about that function, but I'm guessing from looking at the output of ps that that last argument tells it what to do with STDERR? In any case, you're a life saver.

It sounds like this problem has been present for a while. If the fix is so simple, I really don't understand why the package hasn't been updated.
    Thanks...

I can read that function call a little bit, so I am guessing somewhat here. Seems to me that this simply defines the action to take when somebody clicks the button "Backup Now". It goes ahead ahead and spawns a process in the simple backup daemon. The daemon seems to expect an output device for error reports and such and assumes that a console is available. However, there is none and the process goes Zombie since there is no error handling for this situation. Adding the /dev/null parameter gives it a valid output device and it happily directs its text output to nirwana.

I also cannot understand why such a simple error doesn't get fixed posthaste.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast