View Poll Results: What do you do?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think "As long as they don't have a Linux port they don't exist for me" and close the page.

96 56.80%
  • I download the demo/trial/full Windows version and try to emulate it with Wine, hoping it will work.

42 24.85%
  • I will use my Windows/Mac system installed on another partition only for this program.

29 17.16%
  • I give up! I'll use Windows/Mac from now on: "Bye-bye Linux, see you when you grow up!"

2 1.18%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "You don't have a Linux port - you don't exist!"

Beans

Thumbs down "You don't have a Linux port - you don't exist!"

You browse the web for software you're interested in, you find one with delightful features, go to the "system requirements" page: surprise! There are 2 options: a Windows version and a Mac version. What do you do?

edit1: of course option 1 means using another (Linux) alternative, i could not write more characters on the line to explain that.
    edit2: this poll is open-source, feel free to duplicate and modify it to your favorite Linux forum .
    Last edited by ephemeros; November 26th, 2006 at 03:42 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: "You don't have a Linux port - you don't exist!"

Quote Originally Posted by ephemeros View Post
    You browse the web for software you're interested in, you find one with delightful features, go to the "system requirements" page: surprise! There are 2 options: a Windows version and a Mac version. What do you do?
    You can try and run the program with Wine or you can use vmware server to create a virtual windows environment to run all off your windows programs. Hope that will help.

Jereme

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I chose "I download the demo/trial/full Windows version and try to emulate it with Wine, hoping it will work."
    But ONLY if a Linux compatible alternative program isn't available.
    If the program is something I really don't care about, I'll just say "whatever" and don't use the program.
    If I really like the program, but it doesn't work in Wine, I'll boot to Windows to use it.
    <Vang> Hmm, he's suddenly awfully quiet.
    <Paul> its tough typing with 1 hand.
    <Paul> quote me on that and die, pigs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't have a windows partition anymore, and use VMware for visual basic (it's a school requirement).

Other than that, I don't like using windows, so if an application is not available on linux, then too bad.

- trib'

Beans

@mhancoc7: heh, ok, vmware means to have windows/mac installed (true, not necessary on another partition), so you may choose the 3rd option, IMO. never used that, anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

personally, this is why i stopped playing gunbound and shot-online. i admit i tried to run both under wine. and since i didnt succeed, i just stopped playing completely.

pity, if either made a linux client for their games, i'de play them like crazy.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ephemeros View Post
    @mhancoc7: heh, ok, vmware means to have windows/mac installed (true, not necessary on another partition), so you may choose the 3rd option, IMO. never used that, anyway.
    Yeah, I did not know which to pick. I don't really view my virtual windows as really being windows. I know that really doesn't make any sense. I really only use it for testing my websites in IE. I only use Wine when I absolutely have no other alternatives. The fact is that so far I always find a linux program that will do what I need.

Jereme

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Precisely why I'm stuck with dual-boot setups.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I dualboot to play Battle for Middle Earth.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

For me the only software i need and dual-boot is usually games, for the rest there are always great alternatives
    There is only one god, and Ubuntu is its prophet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast