Thread: wireless on Toshiba laptop

Beans

wireless on Toshiba laptop

Hello

I have used ubuntu in the past but always had trouble with the wireless cards not working properly on laptops so I only used ubuntu and linux distros on desktops with wired internet connections.

I want to install ububtu (or a version of it -- which one?) on my girlfriend’s older Toshiba laptop (3-4 years old, has windows vista on it currently), she basically surfs the net, facebook, youtube, email, shopping. The laptop has a wireless card (no idea what model but I can find out).

Please advise whether the latest ubuntu has wireless capabilities. Would it be difficult to get her wireless card going and enable all web content on her browser? She is the total non-geek and only knows how to click things, so I want to set her up with a reliable system. And since I will be her tech support on this, I really don’t want to work overtime fixing her laptop

I know my way around computers, I have used linux before, still a beginner, and I would like a simple, straightforward way to make this work.

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: wireless on Toshiba laptop

I have found that Ubuntu just works on my Toshiba laptop, no tinkering whatsoever required.
    Had a bit of a problem installing both Linux Mint and Ubuntu 12.04 on a netbook but the advice on Broadcom wireless drivers to be found on this forum solved that problem painlessly.
    Try running a live CD and see if that works, if it does then an installed Ubuntu will too.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
    Toshiba Equuium 100A RR. Asus A54C Mint Nadia. Zoostorm desktop RR.
    Linux user # 456165. Ubuntu user # 19504.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by r2006 View Post
    Hello
    I want to install ububtu (or a version of it -- which one?) on my girlfriend’s older Toshiba laptop (3-4 years old, has windows vista on it currently), she basically surfs the net, facebook, youtube, email, shopping. The laptop has a wireless card (no idea what model but I can find out).
    Hi ,

I suggest Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (support until April 2017) , also includes a lighter desktop environment(Unity 2D) in case that Unity 3D not working well(heavy).

Quote Originally Posted by r2006 View Post
    Please advise whether the latest ubuntu has wireless capabilities. Would it be difficult to get her wireless card going and enable all web content on her browser? She is the total non-geek and only knows how to click things, so I want to set her up with a reliable system.
    Create a live-CD / or USB and boot from there. Click on "Try Ubuntu" and test it before install. See if wireless works , sound , camera ....etc and then proceed to installation.

If you have any problem you can always search (or post) in here and someone will help you to resolve it.
    Unresolvable problems are too few. (Especially with wireless).

Thanks , and have a good installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by NikTh View Post
    Create a live-CD / or USB and boot from there. Click on "Try Ubuntu" and test it before install. See if wireless works , sound , camera ....etc and then proceed to installation.

If you have any problem you can always search (or post) in here and someone will help you to resolve it.
    Unresolvable problems are too few.
    Agreed. I remember with my first few Ubuntu installs, (Intrepid, Jaunty...) getting wireless set up was a bit of a pain. These days, most cards "just work" with Ubuntu, and in most cases where they don't, the drivers aren't that difficult to install. For virtually all these cases, there are people on this forum who could walk you through a solution in their sleep, and they do a good job of making their rounds.

The wireless for my Satellite P755 "just worked", but of course, that's no guarantee that yours will.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi, welcome to the fora.

Please post a complete hardware description.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Thank you for your input. It turns out my girl refuses to learn anything new so she is going to stay with Vista. Oh well, I tried ....

Anyway, I tried Linux Mint live CD on my work laptop and I really like it. Everything (including wireless) worked right out of the box.

I am thinking to get a cheap laptop and play around with Linux Mint. I heard Lenovos have a good compatibility.

What do you guys think ?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.