Thread: spyware detection/removal

Beans

Question spyware detection/removal

I rent a room to a talented techie who I recently found out was being deceptive on several counts. I accidently left my laptop in the livingroom and today when I fetched it, it initially didn't recognize my password, did some funny stuff and then when I logged in as guest it said something about releasing spyware....(happened really fast so hard to remember all it said) before it flashed on the normal guest screen.

How can I check/scan for spyware and are there any settings I can set that will help me protect it in the future or notifiy me if something fishy has happened? Also, how can I reset my password for my initial user login? I bought my toughbook 2nd hand and don't really know how to get into the administrator settings to change my login password. I am also not a techie, but very supportive of opensource everything (I am a strong activist) and wouldn't leave ubuntu for the world!

I also want to know how to set up the best protection possible in regards to keeping my emails and what I search private and erased each time.

I suppose the spyware detection/removal is the first priority.

All help is much appreciated!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: spyware detection/removal

Moved to Security Discussions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by bohemian2 View Post
    I rent a room to a talented techie who I recently found out was being deceptive on several counts. I accidently left my laptop in the livingroom and today when I fetched it, it initially didn't recognize my password, did some funny stuff and then when I logged in as guest it said something about releasing spyware....(happened really fast so hard to remember all it said) before it flashed on the normal guest screen.

How can I check/scan for spyware and are there any settings I can set that will help me protect it in the future or notifiy me if something fishy has happened? Also, how can I reset my password for my initial user login? I bought my toughbook 2nd hand and don't really know how to get into the administrator settings to change my login password. I am also not a techie, but very supportive of opensource everything (I am a strong activist) and wouldn't leave ubuntu for the world!

I also want to know how to set up the best protection possible in regards to keeping my emails and what I search private and erased each time.

What version of ubuntu are you using?

2. I always use the log on with password option when I do a fresh install. Also, you can make another account (if you have to original password of your current account) grant admin privlidges and then go from there.

Beans

1) Assume that the machine has been compromised and reinstall the OS from scratch.

2) Use a BIOS password.

3) Find a new tenant.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The machine saying "Releasing spyware" on login is like a murderer wearing a shirt that says "I'm about to kill somebody". It's not going to happen, because that would just be plain dumb.

Frankly I can't say I believe this story, but if anybody suspects their computer has been messed with by somebody with malicious intent, they should reinstall the operating system.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!

I am also not a techie
    If that's the case then with all due respect could it be you just misread the signs? Could it be you fat fingered your password? Caps lock?

I suppose the spyware detection/removal is the first priority
    If you suspect your machine is compromised then you want to allay those fears by investigating the extent of the damage yourself (or have somebody knowledgeable investigate it for you), then restore the machine to working order and then strengthen its security posture. If you're not able to investigate things yourself then you at least could boot a (any) Live CD and write an image of the disk to a file on removable media like a SATA / USB or whatever else disk or stick as long as it has enough free disk space. I'll hold off replying to the rest of your questions for when you've indicated if you want to investigate this properly or not.

*Note that re-installing the OS from scratch without first saving evidence is the single, best way to aid an attacker because you'll be wiping evidence for him.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by unspawn View Post
    Note that re-installing the OS from scratch without first saving evidence is the single, best way to aid an attacker because you'll be wiping evidence for him.
    You say that like the OP is going to haul his tenant into court. Who is going to be analyzing this "evidence?" For what purpose? I suppose if they have a signed lease with a "bad behavior" clause to protect the OP there could be some kind of legal proceeding, but if this is a "tenant-at-will" arrangement, or one without a signed lease, attorneys and courts seem an unlikely future path.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As others have said, reinstalling is most likely your best bet (that's what I would do, without hesitation). If you want to be really really sure, nothing happened to your computer, you could nuke the hard drive prior to reinstallation...

http://www.dban.org/

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    You say that like the OP is going to haul his tenant into court.
    You're certainly free to interpret what I have said.

Who is going to be analyzing this "evidence?"
    I'd prefer the OP with help from this community.

For what purpose?
    Simply to be able to tell if something is amiss or not.
    I prefer to see people act based on [I]facts[I], not fiction.
    After all what's a problem if you can't or won't analyze it properly?