Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Update claims no more space. Inode usage almost full. Manual clean up: missing dep's.

Beans

Re: Update claims no more space. Inode usage almost full. Manual clean up: missing de

Uname -r shows 3.2.0-57-generic.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Update claims no more space. Inode usage almost full. Manual clean up: missing de

Coder68; Morning !

-and- @ ian-weisser, so nice of you to pop in here, your sage advise and background info is informative and a comfort to accept.

OK, let's try this - bearing in mind it is difficult to work from screen shots. Trying to piece this together.
    Let's do:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -P linux-headers-3.2.0-{43,44,45,48,51,52,53,54,55}-generic
    sudo dpkg -P linux-image-3.2.0-{43,44,45,48,51,52,53,54,55}
    sudo dpkg -P linux-image-3.2.0-{43,44,45,48,51,52,53,54,55}-generic
    Which should give us some head room, take a breath and see where we are and what else now remains to be done .

Be a lot more consistent if we can work from exact copy and paste for command outputs .

small steps;
    we can do this
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Sorry for the delay yet again. Was out of office working on a project. I will do this on Monday and send back the results.

Thank you!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    Coder68; Morning !

-and- @ ian-weisser, so nice of you to pop in here, your sage advise and background info is informative and a comfort to accept.

OK, let's try this - bearing in mind it is difficult to work from screen shots. Trying to piece this together.
    Let's do:
    Code:
    1. sudo dpkg -P linux-headers-3.2.0-{43,44,45,48,51,52,53,54,55}-generic
    3. sudo dpkg -P linux-image-3.2.0-{43,44,45,48,51,52,53,54,55}
    2. sudo dpkg -P linux-image-3.2.0-{43,44,45,48,51,52,53,54,55}-generic
    Which should give us some head room, take a breath and see where we are and what else now remains to be done .

Be a lot more consistent if we can work from exact copy and paste for command outputs .
    small steps;
    we can do this
    OK. I did this, but I screwed up. I did them in the order you see above, 1,3,2.... (I arrowed up and forgot to remove the -generic). When I ran the one listed as 3, I get a warning that there is no package matching linux-image..... 43-55.

Is this an issue? I can have the sysadmin restore a copy.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Coder68 View Post
    Is this an issue? I can have the sysadmin restore a copy.
    No.

Uh ... why isn't the sysadmin handling this issue?

Beans
    Distro

Coder68; Hey !

see TheFu's last -- I too am wondering if this is a training exercise for your benefit.
    Does not matter as this forum also functions as a teaching medium. But am curious as the end is a production server, why the matter is not expedited ?
    OK, with the above done ( now real old info IRT the real production server), what is the status in this "test bed".
    show us the new condition:
    Code:
    df -h
    df -i
    dpkg -l | grep linux-
    and we see what remains to be done.

where there is a will there is a way

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

He don't know Linux.

I am the security admin and I do know Linux... but I am not a guru at it, but I am pretty good.

Beans

Beans
    Distro

Coder68; OK !

We are looking good, have operating head room now ! That production server should run.
    All that is left is to remove those old un-needed kernels.
    To preclude me making typos - so I can copy/paste let's do this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install pastebinit
    dpkg -l | grep linux- | pastebinit
    Passing that resulting URL back here to us, and I will craft up the command to remove them.

I make enough typos and am trying
    to make haste slowly

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

After a nightly reboot... it crashes. I am not sure if this is a VM issue, or a issue with the SAN in the old sandboxed environment. Recovery mode gives the same result. So do previous Linux kernels.

The 8th line says Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0)

Other VM's are running OK off the same LUN, so I am suspecting it is the VM. This is why we test in a sandbox first...

I can't get it restored today, the sysadmin is off. I do not dare touch "his" stuff.

crash.JPG
    Last edited by Coder68; August 15th, 2014 at 01:38 PM. Reason: add comment, fix spelling.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast