Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I tried Debian Squeeze...

Beans

Re: So I tried Debian Squeeze...

Debian is not as good in some areas as ubuntu, its just how the kernel is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Friendly note: The multiquote button is your friend, as is the edit button.
    I don't get on the forums much.

When I chat with developers I mostly use a different website that has a completely different layout.

Beans

I'm currently distro jumping, and so far I am very happy with Netrunner, or maybe that's just because every other KDE distro out there has a billion unused applications and eye-candy hainging around every corner. I was wondering if anyone here has tried Crunchbang. I wanted to know if it was worth trying.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 20.04 Focal Fossa

I've been running Debian Stable for about 8 months now and yes, at first I had the network issue and the sound issue like you.

However after I solved those 2 issues I have never encountered any more problems.

Debians sound is Alsa by default- -
    Try this:
    Open the mixer and raise up the PCM and the Master
    You can also try running:
    Code:
    alsa+l init
    Add yourself to the audio group log out and log back in again.
    <adduser yourname audio>
    Open the terminal:
    Code:
    alsamixer
    You'll see a black/grey background with multiple columns. Raise all columns all the way up, mute and un-mute each column.
    Do a sound test which is file 'noise.wav'
    {oo} means un-muted and {mm} means muted- This worked for me-

Make sure you have the Linux Sound Architecture Driver

And the internet connection problem I had to edit my interfaces file.
    Check in on your interfaces file and see that the arguments are what you want. In my case, I had to comment out the 'Wired' arguments in order for my wireless to work.

Hope this helps
    -Check yourself before you wreck yourself-

Devuan, MX Linux, Debian 12 & Slackware 15

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by codingman View Post
    I was wondering if anyone here has tried Crunchbang. I wanted to know if it was worth trying.
    My dance teacher loved Crunchbang back when it was built from an Ubuntu base. When they switched to the Debian base it became about as troublesome on his laptop as Debian had been, with sound and network issues. If someone makes an "UbuBang" or a "CrunchBuntu" I would have to try it!

Beans

What exactly is your hardware and what doesn't work right? My experience has been the only issues i ever had with hardware is having to enable non-free and download my wireless driver over Ethernet.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Debian is not as good in some areas as ubuntu, its just how the kernel is.
    And Ubuntu is not as good in some areas as Debian. That's why I run both.

Quote Originally Posted by Peripheral Visionary View Post
    My dance teacher loved Crunchbang back when it was built from an Ubuntu base. When they switched to the Debian base it became about as troublesome on his laptop as Debian had been, with sound and network issues.
    It seems that you paid very close attention to your dance teacher's Linux experiences.

Beans

Debian's primary worth is its stability and this is why people love it for servers. Of course, that stability comes at a price. However, if you're willing to forego 100% stability Debian 7 testing aka Wheezy is as good in terms of hardware compatibility as Ubuntu in my experience.

Debian and Ubuntu complement each other but it would be a shame for Debian to simply become the Ubuntu that's not Ubuntu. Sometimes, it's forgotten that the Debian social contract also includes a commitment to quality. So the answer to when Debian 7 will be released is "when it's ready". That should be the only answer for Debian.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iamkuriouspurpleoranj View Post
    Debian's primary worth is its stability and this is why people love it for servers. Of course, that stability comes at a price. However, if you're willing to forego 100% stability Debian 7 testing aka Wheezy is as good in terms of hardware compatibility as Ubuntu in my experience.

Debian and Ubuntu complement each other but it would be a shame for Debian to simply become the Ubuntu that's not Ubuntu. Sometimes, it's forgotten that the Debian social contract also includes a commitment to quality. So the answer to when Debian 7 will be released is "when it's ready". That should be the only answer for Debian.
    Not really a big risk. Debian Wheezy should be released any time now. Debian releases new versions roughly every 2 years and it's been about that since the last one. It's been in freeze for awhile and it's in bug squashing mode right now. Like I said the only hardware compatibility problems I've had have been due to Debian's strict adherence to free software. So they don't include stuff like non free drivers by default. Adding the word non-free in sources.list and running sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nameofnonfreedriver fixes that easily enough. Is it kind of unconvenient to plug my laptop into the router to download my wifi driver? Sure it is but I only have to do it once and it takes 5 minutes longer than it would in Ubuntu. It's a lot less annoying though than fixing something in Ubuntu because it was shipped before it was ready though.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In my experience, you pay for stability with a lack of proper drivers. CentOS/RedHat are supported for a long time, but if the version is more than 2 years old (like Debian Squeeze is), the kernel supported usually does not have support for all of the latest whiz-bang hardware. Go with Wheezy for now if you have new hardware and you are more likely to have proper hardware support, although you may have to do some Internet searching to find the proper drivers. If you want support equivalent to RedHat/CentOS, you could also try one of the *BSDs, but be prepared for even worse hardware support than with Debian stable.

I have been running Ubuntu on and off since 7.10 Gutsy until the change was made to Unity (no proper support for my hardware). I still run Xubuntu or Lubuntu in VirtualBox, now with Raring (13.04) in testing. I run Debian as my stable backup system, usually on stable, although I usually switch over about the time of the feature freeze to check for incompatibilities, and have since Sarge (4.0) was stable and Lenny (5.0) was testing. I have been running LMDE as my trial and (mostly) working distro (again, usually with Xfce). My present third non-virtual distro of choice is Bodhi, which is based on Ubuntu LTS, so it is also only upgraded about once every 2 years.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast