Thread: Resume not working on HP Pavilion DV7-3160us

Beans

Resume not working on HP Pavilion DV7-3160us

On resume there is a black screen with no backlight and the laptop seems to completely freeze. After wifi turns back on and the drives initialize, everything stops and the fans on full speed. Pressing caps lock does nothing and neither does numpad. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Resume not working on HP Pavilion DV7-3160us

What version of Ubuntu? Have you installed the Additional Drivers (nvidia-current)? Are you resuming from Suspend or Hibernate?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    What version of Ubuntu? Have you installed the Additional Drivers (nvidia-current)? Are you resuming from Suspend or Hibernate?
    I've tried 10.10, 11.04, 11.10, and 12.04. Currently on 12.04. I've installed fglrx but I have tried both that and radeon drivers (with KMS off and vga=0 in kernel parameter line). I'm attempting a resume from suspend.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Just a thought - do you have swap space configured to be at least the size of your RAM?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cjhabs View Post
    Just a thought - do you have swap space configured to be at least the size of your RAM?
    Swap is currently 5.7GB. None being used though. This laptop has 4GB of physical memory.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

That is fine. swap is used to hold the memory contents during a suspend.
    I gave up on suspending - it never restored my laptop correctly - I'll try again when I update to 12.04 although boot is supposedly much faster under 12.04 so it is not such a big deal but it would be nice to come back to my previous state.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Actually, the swap is used during Hibernate, but not suspend. I've never had a problem with suspend and resume on my HP G62. Hibernate also works, but resuming from hibernate takes just as long as a cold boot.

Beans

Actually, the swap is used during Hibernate, but not suspend. I've never had a problem with suspend and resume on my HP G62. Hibernate also works, but resuming from hibernate takes just as long as a cold boot.
    Well I'm not sure hibernate works, probably does considering the computer turns off after writing everything to disk. But sleep works completely fine in windows 7 and 8 (go figure).

Beans

To give an update (and a bump), resuming from hibernate does not work. It'll go past GRUB but will stay stuck at the gray screen.