Thread: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video How-to

Quote Originally Posted by copyleft View Post
    GREAT GREAT GREAT work!

Thank you very much.

Just a note: on my system, new install of Hardy 64 bit, my "pluginreg.dat" file was not directly inside the "firefox" folder, but inside another folder named "xzd1ghs3.default"

Here's what my successful code looked like:
    Code:
    rm $HOME/.mozilla/firefox/xzd1ghs3.default/pluginreg.dat
    Being the near-noob that I am, it was probably something I did before...

Thanks for the heads-up, I've now added manual instructions.

Nathan

Beans
    Distro

Just wanted to thank you for the positive feedback and thank those who helped with the latest revision.

Nathan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by reassuringlyoffensive View Post
    In Ubuntu you mean? Use my instructions in Part 4 regarding VLC, but change it to "kaffeine.desktop" instead.

Nathan
    I did that, but it still comes up in totem. I'm trying to get kaffeine to open. Does this only work with VLC?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by geovino View Post
    I did that, but it still comes up in totem. I'm trying to get kaffeine to open. Does this only work with VLC?

Did you go to Places>Home>Edit>Preferences>Media and select Kaffiene? It should work with any of them. Just so you know, you can have both Totem Gstreamer and Totem Xine installed in Ubuntu Hardy, so you're better off using Totem Xine rather than Kaffiene.

Nathan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

there is an Open Folder option. How would I select kaffeine?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by geovino View Post
    there is an Open Folder option. How would I select kaffeine?

So there are still just the default options, such as Totem, Open Folder, Do Nothing? Could be due to the fact that Kaffiene is a KDE app. There is no option to launch by command string in Hardy just yet, so not much you can do for now. I guess if you're desperate, you could change the Totem launch command to Kaffiene's, using the VLC instructions as a guide, then select Totem in the DVD Video list.

Nathan
    Last edited by ubuntu-freak; April 26th, 2008 at 05:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by reassuringlyoffensive View Post
    So there are still just the default options, such as Totem, Open Folder, Do Nothing? Could be due to the fact that Kaffiene is a KDE app. There is no option to launch by command string in Hardy just yet, so not much you can do for now. I guess if you're desperate, you could change the Totem launch command to Kaffiene's, using the VLC instructions as a guide, then select Totem in the DVD Video list.

Nathan
    Wait.. wouldnt it show up under /usr/X11R6/bin/X11 ?
    awesome guide btw..

Beans

Thank you for this amazing guide....it has allowed me to switch back to Ubuntu from a clunky, ugly and unwieldy version of Freespire.

I can now play encrypted DVD's, as well as watch more than one YouTube video without Firefox crashing.

Initially, I did have problems with Flash. Every time I started a second consecutive YouTube video, Firefox would crash and close immediately. (The first video would play with no problems!) This was fixed by completely deleting Flash and the plugin file, as per your instructions, then installing the most recent Flash package downloaded directly from the Flash website.

Ubuntu's appeal over other Linux dists I've tried is the clean gnome desktop and the very high quality fonts and font rendering.

Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question Re: Comprehensive Multimedia & Video How-to

I was doing a clean install with Hardy Heron, stumbled upon with this marvelous how-to guide. But...

There is always a but...

When I have finished installing all the sound codecs and restarted (install one part - restart & test - install next part - restart & test), my sound card stopped working, it seems to be some issue related to PulseAudio/ALSA (concrete: alsa-utils), do you know if you need to install alsa software in order to make all the codecs work

Thanks in advance
    Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
    Ockham's Razor
    v4sw6+9BCSUhw4+6ln5/6pr6Fck45ma7u7+9Lw2DVWXm0l6+9DLUViOscitee8$t3b9ADM ORSTen7+9a28s8Mr2g0 hackerkey.com

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by qsr.nrwn View Post
    I was doing a clean install with Hardy Heron, stumbled upon with this marvelous how-to guide. But...

There is always a but...

When I have finished installing all the sound codecs and restarted (install one part - restart & test - install next part - restart & test), my sound card stopped working, it seems to be some issue related to PulseAudio/ALSA (concrete: alsa-utils), do you know if you need to install alsa software in order to make all the codecs work

Thanks in advance

PulseAudio supports Alsa, so not sure what's going on there. Have you tinkered with System>Preferences>Sound?

Nathan

Page 3 of 179 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast