Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Lightscribe Software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

HOWTO: Install Lightscribe Software

This is a basic howto for installing Lightscribe on Ubuntu.

Currently, I am using Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy, and I can get the application to work, however, it does not want to detect my DVD/Lightscribe burner.

Step 1: Download Files from Lacie.com
    First you will need to download the 2 necessary files from here.

Save these to your home folder, or where ever you would like.

Step 2: Convert .RPM to .DEB
    First step, if you don't have it installed already, you will need to install Alien to convert the .rpm files to .deb. Pull up your console and type the following:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install alien

After Alien is installed, you can covert your .rpm files. Make sure you are in the same location where you saved the .rpm files.

sudo alien -d <file-name>.rpm

*One of the files will give an error regarding scripts. I ignored this, which might be part of my problems, but it installed fine.

Step 3: Install the .DEB files.
    Now, the next to last step, we will install the .DEB files. From your console you will need to be in the same folder we have been working from.

sudo dkpg -i <file-name>.deb

Do this command for both files.

Step 4: Running the software.
    There are 2 forms of the software now installed, a gui version and a cli(command line) version. Pull up the run program window, Alt+F2, and type in 4L-gui to run the program.

From here, you can browse to find the picture you wish to use on your lightscribe cd/dvd. It seems to be a very basic program however, and you will have to do all image and text editing from a different program, i.e. Gimp, and then browse for the image and line it up in the 4L-gui program.

Please feel free to post comments and any problems so that the community can help out. I will continue to update this with feedback from you, and with my own findings.

Hope this helps at least somoeone out there.

[update]
    Just wanted to let everyone know that hasn't read any other threads on Lightscribe, the software is not currently working with version 6.10. Both Lightscribe and Lacie have stated they tested it on version 6.06 with no problems. They are looking into getting the software to work with 6.10. I will update this post when they have updated their software, or someone develops a work around in the meantime.
    [/update]

Andrew
    Last edited by StefAndrew; December 8th, 2006 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Add info regarding status of Lightscribe not working in Edgy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HOWTO: Install Lightscribe Software

Quick update. It still seems people are having trouble with Lightscribe and Edgy. If anyone can figure out a fix or if Lacie comes up with a new version, please let us know.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

A couple of corrections to help:
    1. It seems you missmatched "-r" instead of "-d".
    2. Regarding scripts, I used parameter "--scripts" to have them included.

I hope it helps.
    Salutacions / Atentamente / Kind Regards / Amicalement / Med vänliga hälsningar / Cumprimentos / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Carlos Blanquer-Bogacz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for pointing that out. About the --scripts, did it give you an error when you ran alien? I did this almost a month ago now, and I was sure when I used the --scripts parameter, it gave errors when converting to .deb.

Thanks again for the help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Hello, I installed Lacie Lightscribe for Linux but, I used Automatix to install it. It seems it works well but it won't recognize my Samsung Lightscribe drive. I'm currently using Ubuntu 6.10, I was wondering If anyone knows how to fix this problem. If anyone does could you please post it here? Thx!

Beans
    Hidden!

ECPCLINUX,

Currently, only Dapper (6.06) is supported.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes, poOf is correct. Lacie also knows that it is currently broken for 6.10. They are working on finding what is causing the problem and correcting. Lightscribe.com also has software for linux now, but they say specifically that it doesn't work with Debian based distros such as Ubuntu.

Hopefully soon they will have this fixed. I miss using my lightscribe drive, but not enough to go back to M$ just for that. I've been Windows free on my main PC for over 6 months now, and no looking back!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Cool Re: HOWTO: Install Lightscribe Software

I'm ready to set up lightscribe on Dapper, if I can figure out how to get the software downloaded. No matter what source I try, the software is, according to the screen, downloaded by MPlayer. Okay, maybe so, but where does it go? I didn't know MPlayer was a download manager for .rpm, and I wonder if anyone who has already downloaded this software could give me any suggestions. (I have Nero Linux-trial version loaded, but no lightscribe)
    Last edited by mervg; December 12th, 2006 at 04:09 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Nice How-to

This thread has been added to the UDSF wiki.

Lightscribe
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Quote Originally Posted by mervg View Post
    I'm ready to set up lightscribe on Dapper, if I can figure out how to get the software downloaded. No matter what source I try, the software is, according to the screen, downloaded by MPlayer. Okay, maybe so, but where does it go? I didn't know MPlayer was a download manager for .rpm, and I wonder if anyone who has already downloaded this software could give me any suggestions. (I have Nero Linux-trial version loaded, but no lightscribe)
    (Bumping) What if I delete Mplayer?) Never mind - that did it. Whew!
    Last edited by mervg; December 12th, 2006 at 04:17 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast