Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dell precision M4700: Wireless failed after ubuntu 12.04 updating

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Dell precision M4700: Wireless failed after ubuntu 12.04 updating

Would you please get me a full diagnostic workup? Reboot so we start with a clean slate. With a working wired ethernet connection, do:
    Code:
    wget -N -t 5 -T 10 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script && chmod +x wireless_script && ./wireless_script
    It will download a script and create a text file in your home folder with wireless information so we can see the condition of your wireless at this time. The Mac address, WPA key and WEP keys are removed for your security. Reply back, click on the paper clip and attach the netinfo.txt file.

Thanks.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Ok, I will do it on Thursday from work. At home I do not have the possibility to do a wire connection.

Beans

Hi, here you are (attach) the output for wireless_script. Just in case I executed for both -35 and -37 kernels.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

I'm having similar problems but with the 3.2.0.38 kernel, which I just updated last night. However, when I try to load a previous kernel there are no other options (and so far I can't find the equivalent of menu.lst in grub2 to be able to add more boot options - I am looking in /etc/default but so far no luck). I've tried quite a few fixes after looking through quite a few threads on here but I think this one might be beyond me. Is it okay to ask for help in here or should I be posting in a different thread?
    Last edited by chemistrydiva; February 21st, 2013 at 01:02 PM. Reason: extra info

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by chemistrydiva View Post
    I'm having similar problems but with the 3.2.0.38 kernel, which I just updated last night. However, when I try to load a previous kernel there are no other options (and so far I can't find the equivalent of menu.lst in grub2 to be able to add more boot options - I am looking in /etc/default but so far no luck). I've tried quite a few fixes after looking through quite a few threads on here but I think this one might be beyond me. Is it okay to ask for help in here or should I be posting in a different thread?
    I suggest your own new thread since your card and driver details, etc. are likely not the same.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Hi, I attached the txt file reports last Thursday as you asked. I am not sure if you got them. Cheers.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rbaena View Post
    Hi, I attached the txt file reports last Thursday as you asked. I am not sure if you got them. Cheers.
    What explains this? How do you have two IP addresses when wireless is disconnected?????
    - Device: eth0 [Conexión cableada 1] -----------------------------------------
    Type: Wired
    Driver: e1000e
    State: connected
    Default: yes
    HW Address: <MAC address removed>

Capabilities:
    Carrier Detect: yes
    Speed: 1000 Mb/s

Wired Properties
    Carrier: on

IPv4 Settings:
    Address: 192.168.112.175

Prefix: 24 (255.255.255.0)
    Gateway: 192.168.112.1

Address: 161.116.78.36
    Prefix: 24 (255.255.255.0)
    Gateway: 161.116.78.254

DNS: 153.96.19.83
    Have you entered any settings in Network Manager manually?

Beans

No idea. Maybe it was an internet security measure at work. An external IP to give access to an internal LAN. Just guessing... In any case I was connected with a cable.

I only touched the password of the wireless in KnetWorkManager. Of course, I removed it several times to let KnetWorkManager to detect it again.

Beans

Hi, I had the same issue before but once I installed the latest version the problem seemed to have gone away. Otherwise I think you can fix it by downgrading the kernel to the one with an Ubuntu version that worked.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123