Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you recommend if watch my DVD movies on Microsoft Surface tablet?

Beans

What do you recommend if watch my DVD movies on Microsoft Surface tablet?

What do you recommend if you I want to watch my DVD movies on my new Microsoft Surface tablet? It’s really a new tablet and finds no guide to tell how to transfer DVD movie to the tablet for watching, any of you can help?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: What do you recommend if watch my DVD movies on Microsoft Surface tablet?

Moved to other OS.

Is this the Arm version?

ARM runs Windows RT
    Windows RT has this new touch user interface called 'metro' that only runs apps you buy online from the microsoft app store. It doesn't run anything else. Its a lot like how an ipad works with itunes.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What is surface tablet???
    Best, Gnusci

"Never make a calculation until you know the answer." -- Wheeler, Spacetime Physics, pg 60.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

rip the movie to an .mkv file and transfer it over to the tablet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by gnusci View Post
    It is basically Microsoft's answer to the closed and censored Apple iTunes platform only with far fewer apps. As with the Apple case only apps approved by Microsoft via the Microsoft store can run on Windows 8 RT. This is not like the regular Windows at all.

The "solution" that some offer to the OP's problem is to rip the DVD to a format compatible with Windows Media Player. The trouble with this "solution" is that if the DVD in question is infected with DRM (virtually all commercial DVDs are) this more often than not involves breaking the DRM which under anti-circumvention laws in many jurisdictions is illegal. As a consequence the only solution I can recommend is for the OP to purchase another copy of the movies in question from the studios in a digital format compatible with the surface tablet.

Connecting an external DVD player via a USB port may also work if the tablet supports this; however this will defeat many of the mobile advantages of the device.
    Last edited by Dr. C; November 28th, 2012 at 08:54 PM.

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Interpreting whether usage is infringing or fair use is also technically illegal (i.e. impersonating a lawyer). With that in mind, I would only say that if you fear that you are violating the law, you should talk to a lawyer and not some random nobody on the internet.

That said, if you actually want a solution to your problem, try this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ts/PlayingDVDs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Can he just install Ubuntu on that thing?

http://requesttracker.wikia.com/wiki/InstallationGuides

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. C View Post
    It is basically Microsoft's answer to the closed and censored Apple iTunes platform only with far fewer apps. As with the Apple case only apps approved by Microsoft via the Microsoft store can run on Windows 8 RT. This is not like the regular Windows at all.

The "solution" that some offer to the OP's problem is to rip the DVD to a format compatible with Windows Media Player. The trouble with this "solution" is that if the DVD in question is infected with DRM (virtually all commercial DVDs are) this more often than not involves breaking the DRM which under anti-circumvention laws in many jurisdictions is illegal. As a consequence the only solution I can recommend is for the OP to purchase another copy of the movies in question from the studios in a digital format compatible with the surface tablet.

Connecting an external DVD player via a USB port may also work if the tablet supports this; however this will defeat many of the mobile advantages of the device.
    Best, Gnusci

"Never make a calculation until you know the answer." -- Wheeler, Spacetime Physics, pg 60.

Beans

Buying Digital versions of movies etc is the simplest answer.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by gnusci View Post
    This: http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US

Beans

Step 1: get your tablet out to the middle of an alley
    2: take a large hammer, preferably a sledgehammer
    3: smash the tablet into tiny bite size pieces
    4: never buy another microsoft tablet
    5: Buy a real computer, a laptop will be more suitable for a job like this anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast