Page 12 of 128 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

When I run:
    alex@host:~$ sudo cat /dev/.udev/db/%2fclass%2finput%2finput6%2fevent6 | hexdump

It outputs the same info every time, regardless of whether the mouse moves. In fact, it outputs if the mouse doesn't even move.
    This has to be some special configuration on your Ubuntu. Have you used any other howto's to configure your mouse? btnx will only work if you get mouse events from an event handler.
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RVDowning View Post
    Actually my xorg.conf looks exactly the way you wanted. I added "modprobe uinput", a directory change, and ./btnx to /etc/rc.d/rc.local for Mandriva 2007.1 so that stuff would auto load.

Now I think I will add in revoco, and will have the "coolest mouse in town."

Thanks much for all your help.
    No problem at all. Did you get btnx to function fully? If it does, could you send me your InputSection from your xorg.conf file. This will help me deal with problems other users may have.
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by blazoner View Post
    Some problems with my MX 600 on a fresh 7.04 install:

1. Ctrl+Alt+Right (rear thumb button) only works if the mouse is over the desktop itself, not when it is over any window (firefox, OOo, etc.) Ctrl+Alt+Left works both on the desktop, and in windows, as per normal behavior.

2. The 100% button still only acts like a Left click, except in terminal, where it outputs the same as a middle click. I extended that delay to as much as 150 with no noticeable improvement.

3. The 100% button, the rear thumb button, and the left scroll wheel press, all register as paste (middle click) in terminal, and the left scroll wheel press then outputs a "C". This seems to be the common denominator between the buttons that are giving me problems.
    1. I'm not experiencing any of these problems. Anyone else have this?

For 1, 2, & 3, try using xev to see what kind of output you are getting for each mouse button press. Especially for #3: make sure xev doesn't report a middle click.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tim71 View Post
    Here's MX1000 data on 32bit system
    Support for MX1000 will be added in a couple of days.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Well, I've tried my MX 600 with both of my PC's now, and the problems are consistent with both, as are the hexdumps. I have no clue what to try next, so I'm including a text file with all the results I've accumulated so far.

Here's what's not working:

1. Ctrl+Alt+Right (rear thumb button) sometimes works if the mouse is over the desktop itself, not as often when it is over any window (firefox, OOo, etc.) Ctrl+Alt+Left works both on the desktop, and in windows, but only sometimes. ***This behavior is extremely sporadic, and the only way to make it work every time is to click and hold the right button first.

2. The 100% button acts like a wheel click. I extended that delay to as much as 500 with no noticeable improvement.
    I'll look at this later and try to think of something.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sjust View Post
    I just want ot let every one know that I fixed my problem. It seems the I forgot about a rules.d file from a previous configuration. Once I got rid of that btnx works great.
    I'm glad it works! Sorry I couldn't respond to your earlier post before, but it looks like I didn't even need to .

I'm not really even sure whether this program works for most people because most of the posts on this forum are the result of problems with btnx. I hope it's working like advertised .
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans

No problem at all. Did you get btnx to function fully? If it does, could you send me your InputSection from your xorg.conf file. This will help me deal with problems other users may have.
    Everything seems to work right. I think the thumb buttons are backwards as mentioned in another post, but haven't fixed it yet. InputDevice section of xorg.conf follows:

Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
            Identifier      "ConfiguredMouse"
            Driver          "mouse"
            Option          "CorePointer"
            Option          "Device"        "/dev/mouse"
            Option          "Protocol"      "auto"
            Option          "ZAxisMapping"  "4 5"
            Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "no"
            Option          "Buttons"       "3"
    EndSection
    Again, the distribution is Mandriva Spring 2007.1.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by daou View Post
    This has to be some special configuration on your Ubuntu. Have you used any other howto's to configure your mouse? btnx will only work if you get mouse events from an event handler.
    Don't let anyone tell you that you don't know your stuff. You were right! I had some rules leftover from using this guide previously: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=219894

I removed evdev and undid the things that were in that guide, then I copied the revolution MX config over the default btnx and now everything is working perfectly. Hell, I didn't even know I could use the mouse wheel to push it right and left. The config is really good.

Thanks a lot for your hard work daou and for troubleshooting everything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Firstly daou, thanks for the scripts, work and troubleshooting you have done. Much appreciated.

I am trying to understand how it would be possible for my MX510 to on middle-mouse click, I think the config file it is entitled "Mouse wheel press," for it to scroll a window. I believe this is the default setup for Windows for this mouse. Apologies if this has been gone over before, I didn't see it. Thanks again.
    Derek

Beans
    Distro

Well, I've tried my MX 600 with both of my PC's now, and the problems are consistent with both, as are the hexdumps. I have no clue what to try next, so I'm including a text file with all the results I've accumulated so far.

Here's what's not working:

1. Ctrl+Alt+Right (rear thumb button) sometimes works if the mouse is over the desktop itself, not as often when it is over any window (firefox, OOo, etc.) Ctrl+Alt+Left works both on the desktop, and in windows, but only sometimes. ***This behavior is extremely sporadic, and the only way to make it work every time is to click and hold the right button first.

2. The 100% button acts like a wheel click. I extended that delay to as much as 500 with no noticeable improvement.
    It sounds like you are getting a mouse button down event when pressing the C+A+Left and right combos. This will block the workspace switch functionality. For example, if I hold down my left or right mouse button and send the combo, no workspace switch takes place.

Perhaps your xserver is handling those extra mouse buttons after all (when you don't want it to, at least not with btnx). Try what worked for MX Revo users: change the Option "Protocol" to "auto" in your InputSection of xorg.conf. Right now your protocol is set to "ExplorerPS/2" and this might be a problem. Tell me what happens. If it doesn't fix the problem, I'll look at it some more.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Page 12 of 128 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast