Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Linux Command Line Learning Resources

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Linux Command Line Learning Resources

Quote Originally Posted by sisco311 View Post
    Not the worst bash/shell tutorial I've read. This is the most polite thing I can say about it.

If by briefly you mean inaccurately and with bad examples, then you're right.

I don't recommend this tutorial, unless one wants to see some (most of the?) common errors that Bash programmers make.
    Agreed, but it was just something I encountered while a-googling, and thought "I know where I should post this". I didn't actually proof-read it (in fact it seems that you spent more time on it than I did). Happy bash-ing!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sisco311 View Post
    Not the worst bash/shell tutorial I've read. This is the most polite thing I can say about it.

I don't recommend this tutorial, unless one wants to see some (most of the?) common errors that Bash programmers make.
    Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    Agreed, but it was just something I encountered while a-googling, and thought "I know where I should post this". I didn't actually proof-read it (in fact it seems that you spent more time on it than I did). Happy bash-ing!
    Just reading over it, I guess I'm not knowledgeable enough to pass judgment on this one. Sisco311- if you feel it is very misleading and/or potentially dangerous, please let me know, or strike it from the index yourself.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cortman View Post
    Just reading over it, I guess I'm not knowledgeable enough to pass judgment on this one. Sisco311- if you feel it is very misleading and/or potentially dangerous, please let me know, or strike it from the index yourself.
    IMO, most of the online tutorials and published shell/bash books are relatively poor.

bash-hackers.org and Greg's wiki are good resources. For bash/shell related question I would recommend the #bash channel @ freenode.
    Last edited by sisco311; June 18th, 2012 at 05:11 AM.

Beans

Here's "AtomicFanboy - Linux Command Line Basic Reference v0.2" Some minor changes and information on text mode programs.

If anyone has anything worthwhile to contribute, PM me!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Atomic-Fanboy; June 19th, 2012 at 05:16 PM.
    "Zero zero zero zero zero zero one! Zero zero zero zero zero one one! Zero zero zero zero one one one! Zero zero zero one one one one! Oh, oh oh one, oh oh one! Come on sucker, now lick my battery!"

Beans

great list

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Working through gregs wiki and bash hackers is the way forward. I was reading an interesting discussion on the consequences of un-aliasing aliases in scripts as well. \rm <...> vs rm <...>

and... Well some one had to post this

http://www.smallo.ruhr.de/award.html

This should make you happy sisco311
    Last edited by matt_symes; June 27th, 2012 at 01:01 AM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

This thread is closed.

The information is now held on the community wiki at

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommandLineResources

Thank you for your thread and the work you have done in keeping it current and of use to the community.

A thread for discussion of the wiki can be found at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2015424

Support threads regarding the wiki and it's content should be created in a suitable forum.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112