Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Install OpenOffice 3.2

Beans

Re: How To: Install OpenOffice 3.2

sorry, is there going to be an upgrade path for jaunty?
    this is the kind of thing that's very important for ordinary ubuntu users! please will someone official clarify. don't mean to sound annoyed and i do appreciate everyone's work but such a major part of the system must be properly maintained or it looks.. bad. unprofessional. again, no disrespect to anyone offering help here, these guides are appreciated.

i think if there is no technical reason why not then openoffice updates should be supported several ubuntu versions back, and in a timely fashion. it's not ok to say "upgrade to karmic/lucid". people have otherwise working systems and jobs to do, 9.04 isn't very old and we can't be risking a business by doing total system upgrades every 6 months. there are new features in OO.o 3.2 that are vital to some businesses like handling of passworded MS office files. i do feel this reflects on whether ubuntu want to be taken seriously as a business platform. i hope i'm making sense and not missing a huge announcement somewhere.
    Last edited by Smiff2; February 22nd, 2010 at 03:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Well,

OO3.2rc4 is still in Lucid, and the final release is actually rc5, so the bleeding edge Ubuntu is still slightly behind. My guess is that it might be another week or so before the 3.2.0rc5 (a.k.a 3.2.0 FINAL) makes it into Lucid and the PPA.

- CH
    Linux Registered User #434330

Beans

ok, I can wait but I hope I get some indication that 3.2 is available instead of looking for it but not a big deal either way. I reinstalled 3.1 and it opens up OO Writer in 2 seconds on the 2nd start. It takes 7 seconds the first time. I don't recall it being that snappy with the stock version (whatever that 3.1 OO version in a new Ubuntu install is called)

Beans

Cheers for the 'How To' guide, works perfectly! I am using Linux Mint 7 (based on Ubuntu Jaunty).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by ftw View Post
    ok, I can wait but I hope I get some indication that 3.2 is available instead of looking for it but not a big deal either way. I reinstalled 3.1 and it opens up OO Writer in 2 seconds on the 2nd start. It takes 7 seconds the first time. I don't recall it being that snappy with the stock version (whatever that 3.1 OO version in a new Ubuntu install is called)
    Probably because its less integrated into the Ubuntu installation?
    Linux Registered User #434330

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

after I extracted the tar.gz file and copied it to the desktop, I went into terminal and pasted
    sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/OOO320_m12_native_packed-1_en-US.9483/DEBS/*.deb

it then asked for my password and i entered it and then it said this

kylemchugh@Tuesday:~$ cd Desktop
    kylemchugh@Tuesday:~/Desktop$ sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/OOO320_m12_native_packed-1_en-US.9483/DEBS/*.deb
    dpkg: error processing /home/kylemchugh/Desktop/OOO320_m12_native_packed-1_en-US.9483/DEBS/*.deb (--install):
    cannot access archive: No such file or directory
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /home/kylemchugh/Desktop/OOO320_m12_native_packed-1_en-US.9483/DEBS/*.deb
    kylemchugh@Tuesday:~/Desktop$

This is after I changed to the Desktop folder from root. I get similar errors when I just put in the code with out going to desktop.

Help?

Beans

The installation worked for me but many features are missing. For instance, I cannot insert mpeg and mov movies in presentations. I uninstalled it an installed 3.1 again to get back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by RastaCalavera View Post
    after I extracted the tar.gz file and copied it to the desktop, I went into terminal and pasted
    sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/OOO320_m12_native_packed-1_en-US.9483/DEBS/*.deb

it then asked for my password and i entered it and then it said this

kylemchugh@Tuesday:~$ cd Desktop
    kylemchugh@Tuesday:~/Desktop$ sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/OOO320_m12_native_packed-1_en-US.9483/DEBS/*.deb
    dpkg: error processing /home/kylemchugh/Desktop/OOO320_m12_native_packed-1_en-US.9483/DEBS/*.deb (--install):
    cannot access archive: No such file or directory
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /home/kylemchugh/Desktop/OOO320_m12_native_packed-1_en-US.9483/DEBS/*.deb
    kylemchugh@Tuesday:~/Desktop$

This is after I changed to the Desktop folder from root. I get similar errors when I just put in the code with out going to desktop.

Help?
    Did you perhaps download a different language version of OpenOffice? The quoted command is for the US language version so you have to change the US part in the command to the language version you downloaded. In other words, check that the part after /OOO320-m12_native_packed-i_en is exactly the same as the filename you downloaded.

Do the same for the last command in the original post.
    But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
    I've got nothin' but affection for all those who've sailed with me. Mississippi: Bob Dylan
    Registered Ubuntu User # 23094

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Worked like a charm. Thanks a lot
    I reinforce the frail with lyrics that's real - Nas

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Xirev View Post
    Cheers for the 'How To' guide, works perfectly! I am using Linux Mint 7 (based on Ubuntu Jaunty).
    Actually I take it back. It screwed up language support for me. When I reinstalled language support, that screwed up OpenOffice, and I can't have them together. I got back to OpenOffice 3.0.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast