Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any GUI app to configure samba / file sharing on XFCE 4.8?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Any GUI app to configure samba / file sharing on XFCE 4.8?

Hi
    I'm looking for an application to configure samba file/directory share under xfce 4.8, xubuntu 11.04.
    Is there something just like gnome in ubuntu, where you just right click on a folder and select share using a simple GUI?

TIA
    Sergio S.

Beans

Re: Any GUI app to configure samba / file sharing on XFCE 4.8?

One of the great disappointments is the disappearance of the following package:
    Code:
    thunar-shares-plugin
    It did for thunar what nautilus-share ( where you just right click on a folder and select share using a simple GUI ) did for Nautilus. It used to be there in previous versions but then it just disappeared.

You could install nautilus-share in XFCE which will bring with it just enough of Nautilus to make it work without installing all of Gnome.

Or you can install the following package:
    Code:
    system-config-samba
    It's a separate utility that creates classic samba shares but you can forget about any right click > share stuff. It also doesn't automatically modify permissions the way nautilus-share does and it can only be run after supplying sudo's password.

Beans
    Distro

Morbius1 thank you
    I have read about thunar-shares-plugin and also saw it in action with some old Mint XFCE version, was not able to install it by myself, I'm not very skilled at installing non .deb packages...
    I have just installed system-config-samba in xubuntu 11.10 beta in VM, it did not work.
    I tried nautilus share, however it took over thunar, and I can't go back to it, lol...
    I'll install in a spare HD just to try, I'll let you know later

Thank you for help!
    Sergio
    Sergio S.

Beans

I tried nautilus share, however it took over thunar, and I can't go back to it, lol...
    Not sure how that happened or if that's even possible. After it installs Nautilus you have to log out and login again fot the "Sharing Options" to appear and then double click /usr/share/applications/File Browser.
    I have just installed system-config-samba in xubuntu 11.10 beta in VM, it did not work.
    What do you mean it did not work? You get error messages?

Try running it from the terminal:
    Code:
    gksu system-config-samba
    EDIT: I have both of these implemented in Xubuntu 11.04 without any of your symptoms. Sorry for the bad advice.
    Last edited by Morbius1; September 16th, 2011 at 11:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro

It's NOT bad advice, I am the problem, I just have to say thank you again for trying to help me!
    Actually system-config-samba launched and worked, but I could not see the shared folder from my other ubuntu machine...
    I also installed GADMIN-SAMBA, which looks more complete app, however other box still not be able to see the shares on xubuntu.
    I'll be back home only on tuesday and try it again.
    Sergio S.

Beans

When you get back you might want to run the following commands which will provide you with information on how you are set up and give you error messages if it finds something that's wrong:
    Code:
    testparm -s
    Code:
    smbtree
    BTW, and this is just my personal prejudices, but Gadmin-Samba will render your smb.conf into an incoherent mess that no one except a Systems Administrator with 10 years of experience will be able to debug.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I was looking for a solution to sharing in Thunar under xfce 4.8 as well. What I have found to work fairly well is to just use a Thunar custom action to create samba usershares with the net command.
    Just create a custom action (Edit menu>Configure custom actions) to run the following command only on directories:
    Code:
    net usershare add %n %f "" Everyone:R guest_ok=y
    Note: The icon for the folder won't change, like it does for nautilus, but it does work.

To unshare a folder, use this command from a terminal:

Code:
    net usershare delete sharename
    where sharename is the name of the folder.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CryNGRoad View Post
    I was looking for a solution to sharing in Thunar under xfce 4.8 as well. What I have found to work fairly well is to just use a Thunar custom action to create samba usershares with the net command.
    Just create a custom action (Edit menu>Configure custom actions) to run the following command only on directories:
    Code:
    Note: The icon for the folder won't change, like it does for nautilus, but it does work.

Code:
    Thanks! It works 100%!!
    Sergio S.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CryNGRoad View Post
    Code:

Code:
    It not works for me. Shared folder appear but cannot be opened. When I click it, it will display error message like:

Need help. Thanks

Note: I'm using Xubuntu 11.10

Beans

What are the Linux permissions of the "shared" share?
    Code:
    ls -al /path/to/"shared"/folder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast