Thread: Destination unreachable address unreachable (IPv6)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Destination unreachable address unreachable (IPv6)

Could someone shed some light on why this happens...

If I try and ping6 my own labtop (it's self) using the IPv6 address, it says (destination unreachable, address unreachable), when not connected to the local network.

Here is my /etc/network/interfaces file:
    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    iface lo inet6 loopback

# The local area network interface
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet6 static
    pre-up modprobe ipv6
    address fd51:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::1/64
    netmask 64
    When not connected to the local network, ping6 fd51:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::1 replies, (destination unreachable, address unreachable).

This may not seem a problem, when it's not connected to the local network, but their is security software on the laptop that uses that address to validate itself (and to others when connected to the local network), I have to use that ULA address, and I cannot use the labtop away from the office anymore since we moved over to IPv6.

Beans

Re: Destination unreachable address unreachable (IPv6)

I think you need to talk to your LAN's administrator.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ian-weisser View Post
    I think you need to talk to your LAN's administrator.
    He knows less than I do...

I actually set up a test server of my own using Ubuntu 14.04 server and IPv6 addressing to test if I could emulate this behaviour. I found that any static IPv6 addresses were ignored if there wasn't a hard link (i.e not connected to a router or a switch). Even though it had a static global address, it wasn't given a link local address and radvd wouldn't provide a default route. I added a link local address, but it wouldn't let me provide a default route (no route to host), whenever I tried. I still couldn't ping my own static global address (the ULA).

There must be a correct way to do this, otherwise, if this is by design, it sucks!

Beans
    Hidden!

Is the network you are using configured for IPv6? Some routers don't handle it well by default: mine are geared more towards IPv4.

On a side note, it's sometimes easier (and more appropriate) to reserve static IP addresses on the network's router.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Is the network you are using configured for IPv6? Some routers don't handle it well by default: mine are geared more towards IPv4.

On a side note, it's sometimes easier (and more appropriate) to reserve static IP addresses on the network's router.
    The network is local and uses a switch not a router. All client laptops have static IPv6 ULA (fd00 range) addresses. They work fine while connected to the switch... but not when disconnected. The unique local IPv6 address (which is set statically on each laptop) cannot be used (no route to host). This is a static local address and it cannot access itself.

If I was to set a static IPv4 address on my laptop to say, 192.168.0.1, and ran ping 192.168.0.1 in the terminal (while disconnected from any switch, router, etc), it would still respond to the ping. So, why doesn't IPv6?

Like I said in my previous post, we have security software which relies on this, and IPv6 doesn't seem to work this way. I think it has to have a route set, but I have tried ::1, ::/0, and setting a link local address, but it always says no route to host.