Page 1 of 63 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Solution to Broadcom 43xx Card Problem (12.04 - Precise Pangolin)

Solution to Broadcom 43xx Card Problem (12.04 - Precise Pangolin)

Problem in Precise Pangolin 12.04 with the Broadband 43xx Wireless Card: Unable to download firmware for wireless. (Also works for 11.10, 11.04, 10.10 and 10.04)

From the 'Additional Drivers' section:

This package contains Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver for use with Broadcom's BCM4311-, BCM4312-, BCM4313-, BCM4321-,BCM4322-, BCM43224-, and BCM43225-, BCM43227- and BCM43228-basedhardware.
    Possible Solutions:

Solution 1: After installing with the alternate cd, I needed a cable and after updating, I was able to download the STA driver through the 'Additional Drivers' section.

Solution 2: Another option is here.

Solution 3: System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager > Search: firmware-b43-lpphy-installer > Click Mark > Click install > Close (This has been removed starting with 11.10 - Oneiric Ocelot. It may be installed with the Ubuntu Software Manager.)

Kontza found the solution (post #3), so thank him for it.

This solution fixed this problem on my Dell Inspiron 1545 with a Broadcom 4312 card. (Card Tech Specs: 0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01))
    Last edited by Sef; May 9th, 2012 at 05:20 AM. Reason: 1) Added Specs; 2) Updates
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Solution to Broadcom 43xx Card Problem (10.10, Maverik Meerkat)

I already installed it,with all dependencies on my dell 1525 but in's not working on Kubuntu. On same laptop,ubuntu partition,evetything is fine.
    Wired,isn't it ?!?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I also have an Inspiron 1545, with the same bcm4312 wireless card. I have never used the b43 driver, nor have I ever used fwcutter. All I have ver done is connect the wired connection right after install and enabled the sta driver. Any other time, even in prior releases, The b43 driver has caused me nothing but trouble and complication. I am really confused as to why so many people have had problems using the STA driver when it has always been such a straightforward simple solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I am new to Linux, and Ubuntu. Two nights ago while on irc.freenode.com #kubuntu I was assisted by EagleScreen in fixing this problem. He has the same BCM4312.

I was using the b43 driver by default in the install, and while my wireless NIC could detect networks, it could not complete the authentication process.

Updating to the STA driver, and restarting fixed all, and now I'm starting to get happy about the switch to Linux.

Now, if I can just find a fix for Bluetooth.....but that's another thread.

This fix worked on my Dell Latitude e6500.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnnytm View Post
    I also have an Inspiron 1545, with the same bcm4312 wireless card. I have never used the b43 driver, nor have I ever used fwcutter. All I have ver done is connect the wired connection right after install and enabled the sta driver. Any other time, even in prior releases, The b43 driver has caused me nothing but trouble and complication. I am really confused as to why so many people have had problems using the STA driver when it has always been such a straightforward simple solution.
    How did you install the STA driver and enabled it? Could you show me the steps (or maybe a link)?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmagic View Post
    How did you install the STA driver and enabled it? Could you show me the steps (or maybe a link)?
    I never really did anything Right after I installed Ubuntu I connected my ethernet card. awith the wored connection active now I went to system-->administration-->additional drivers My computer then did a search for availabe drivers and 2 drivers showed up, there was a b43 driver and the sta driver. I clicked o the sta driver and then pressed the activate button. After that all worked well. But I would recommend NOT using the b43 driver unless absolute last resort. I had that problem before. If you want the link where you can download the drivers from t not a problem, But the driver would have to be built first. Try this first though
    Code:
     sudo apt-get --purge remove bcmwl-kernel-source
     sudo apt-get install patch  
     sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source
    if it still doesn't work you can try
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get --reinstall install bcmwl-kernel-source
    One line at a time of course
    Last edited by johnnytm; October 31st, 2010 at 03:10 AM.

Beans

Red face Re: Solution to Broadcom 43xx Card Problem (10.10, Maverik Meerkat)

Hi,

Is anyone else seeing some connectivity issues with the Broadcom BCM43224? Is seems to connect just rather slowly compared to when I start the system with OSX.

V$H.

Beans
    Distro

sudo iwconfig eth1 rate 54Mb

where eth1 is my wireless card
    that fixes connection speed. but Icannot go higher for N speeds

Beans

this solution doesn't work in my case.
    Last edited by kerosine; November 7th, 2010 at 05:42 PM.

Page 1 of 63 1231151 ... LastLast