Page 11 of 177 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    Its good to have a system where we all start from the same point ...

am playing scrabble in Face book on it at the moment and its fine ....

In another thread a guy was saying that his gnome-shell is running fine (not using gNatty) but he can't use Unity or the classic choices. I replied with a Unity screenshot & told him we're not having that problem here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Is there anyway i could have the mesa (open source driver) to be shown under additional drivers list and switch between? I know i must remove - purge them normally, i just need it for a quick testing.
    I'm now using lxde and i can type faster but still it doesn't respond as it should.
    -I have never see a ratio like 1.41 while seeding. I guess all it takes is a good moto...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by philnice View Post
    Is there anyway i could have the mesa (open source driver) to be shown under additional drivers list and switch between? I know i must remove - purge them normally, i just need it for a quick testing.
    I'm now using lxde and i can type faster but still it doesn't respond as it should.
    -I have never see a ratio like 1.41 while seeding. I guess all it takes is a good moto...
    No way that I know of.

I ran ATI cards for about 15 years but eventually keeping drivers working, even in Windows, became such a hassle that I went with Nvidia on my last hardware upgrade. I wish they would come up with an elegant solution. When they were bought by AMD I hoped things would change but it seems that they focus on the hardware and drivers/software takes a back seat.

When you find the solution though make sure you tell us about it.

Beans
    Distro

question:
    I had desktop effects on ubuntu and ubuntu classic and for some reason they only work on classic.
    Any idea what happen to ubuntu and compiz, when I open compiz in ubuntu I can't make any checks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    No way that I know of.

I ran ATI cards for about 15 years but eventually keeping drivers working, even in Windows, became such a hassle that I went with Nvidia on my last hardware upgrade. I wish they would come up with an elegant solution. When they were bought by AMD I hoped things would change but it seems that they focus on the hardware and drivers/software takes a back seat.

When you find the solution though make sure you tell us about it.
    It's funny that amd does updates drivers frequently, but...
    -Of course i'll be back to report.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cecilpierce View Post
    question:
    I had desktop effects on ubuntu and ubuntu classic and for some reason they only work on classic.
    Any idea what happen to ubuntu and compiz, when I open compiz in ubuntu I can't make any checks.
    You mean you don't have them on natty? That's strange because you won't have unity running if compiz is disabled.

Beans

Possibly needs Alt+f2

compiz --replace
    or
    unity --reset

maybe .....

I will check mine as we both have similar setups now ........

If you have effects in one they should work in the others too must be one of the compiz settings that's messed up maybe
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________________
    Am back now .... play scrabble for 2 hours lols ..... and the temps of the Nvidia were great ..... 5 degrees lower than
    before ..... the other system was reaching 68 and higher ...... here I am at 63-64 constant .

Drops back to 58-59 after playing scrabble on the Flash game in Firefox .......
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; May 11th, 2011 at 10:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cecilpierce View Post
    question:
    When you write ubuntu do you mean unity? I'm guessing it's related to the way video is being detected in some way. You could try using Additional Drivers to see what drivers are activated &/or installed.

In gNatty I may have inadvertently introduced a problem by trying to package both the Nvidia & ATI driver. Purge, remove, uninstall the one that doesn't apply. You may have to use synaptic to completely remove it.

Another thing to try is re-installing compiz.

If you are doing frequent upgrades it's also possible that things got temporarily broken somehow.

Try exploring these suggestions and let us know how it goes.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    Possibly needs Alt+f2

compiz --replace
    or
    unity --reset

maybe .....

I will check mine as we both have similar setups now ........

If you have effects in one they should work in the others too must be one of the compiz settings that's messed up maybe
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________________
    Am back now .... play scrabble for 2 hours lols ..... and the temps of the Nvidia were great ..... 5 degrees lower than
    before ..... the other system was reaching 68 and higher ...... here I am at 63-64 constant .

Drops back to 58-59 after playing scrabble on the Flash game in Firefox .......
    Brilliant!

Beans
    Distro

Daily Upgrade

Well, the ricotz ppa just delivered an updated mutter & gnome-3 did the same with nautilus.

Downloaded & installed, going for a reboot. Wish me luck.

Page 11 of 177 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast