Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Need a lightweight distro...

Beans

Re: Need a lightweight distro...

I have a Dell Latitude D520 which I believe is about 6 years old now that screams along with Slackware 14.0 and Fluxbox. Mind you it does a reasonable but not stellar job with kde as well . Nice solid machine...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Since I'm sort of stuck using a netbook as my primary computer, I decided to opt for running Ubuntu with Fluxbox. There's a learning curve, but once you're on the good side of the curve you can make the thing do what you want. It's minimal and fast, and it's good for maximizing useful screen space.

I haven't tried Openbox, but it sounds very similar. There's some stuff that works on one but not the other, but my research suggests similar functionality.

Xfce is pretty simple without being quite so minimal. It'd probably be a more comfortable jump for someone used to Gnome or KDE or someone who's coming from Windows. The paradigm is very similar even if some of the particulars are different. But it's light weight and fast.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SchmichaelM View Post
    Since I'm sort of stuck using a netbook as my primary computer, I decided to opt for running Ubuntu with Fluxbox. There's a learning curve, but once you're on the good side of the curve you can make the thing do what you want. It's minimal and fast, and it's good for maximizing useful screen space.
    I am running Fluxbox with an 8 core amd machine for the same reason .

Beans

You need a lightweight distro?

Here's the recipe,

1) The hard, but the nicest way; install the mini.iso and install LXDE (Not Lubuntu-desktop) and you are ready with a very snappy installation and with the Chromium 20.

2) The easier way; install Lubuntu, Ubuntu or Xubuntu and strip it to you own minimum.

In both cases, download remastersys and make your backup CD (not DVD), and then install your own just-made distro to a free partition and use Unetbootin and move it to a USB stick. (You can do the old way and burn a CD too.)

Now, you can carry your lightweight distro in your pocket, and when necessary bloat it with additional apps.

Good day!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    I am running Fluxbox with an 8 core amd machine for the same reason .
    Any reasons why one would use fluxbox instead of openbox?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Any reasons why one would use fluxbox instead of openbox?
    Fluxbox runs with plain text config files which are much easier for me to use than wrapping my head around the xml required by Openbox . I know the xml is not that hard but I am a little lazy...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Fluxbox runs with plain text config files which are much easier for me to use than wrapping my head around the xml required by Openbox . I know the xml is not that hard but I am a little lazy...
    Makes sense. i've never actually looked at openbox config files, only installed it, set my themes, installed tint2 & conky. Also not fond of xml files.

Beans

I got old pc.For internet i bean jusing BackTrack 5 Revolution.(with installing flash player,wicd,skype...)Speed is ok,but for setup printer or use bluetooth you need lots of time surfing and reading.Then i try linux puppy 5.3.3.Very small,very fest,simply for use,connect to web,select language and other things go vary easy.But with linux bodhi i can surfing the net,use bluetooth,printing...speed of bodhi linux on my machine (1.6 celeron and 446 mb RAM) is amazing.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234