Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest possible computer uk?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cheapest possible computer uk?

Hi guys, my mum wants a new desktop on a MAJOR budget. I have configured a build for £111 but was wondering if there are cheaper builds? I don't want to use used components. I already have a case and hard drive for her. The pc will run ubuntu 12.04 or windows 7. It needs to be at least a dual core with 2gb ram.

Thanks for any help and sorry if this is the wrong section. I'm new here

Beans

Re: Cheapest possible computer uk?

Geez, 111 pounds is pretty low. WHat have you specced?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

2.4 ghz celeron, 2gb ram, as rock mobo and a 500w coolermaster psu. I will either use integrated graphics or use an 8400gs that I have lying around. I am trying to get it cheap enough to where she will consider it instead of buying a netbook for £80 (an absolute bargin, brand new from PC World) but I know it won't be fast enough for her. The system I would build wouldn't be blazing but faster than a netbook and whenever I upgrade from an i3 to an i7, I will give her the i3 and get her another 2gb of ram.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Raspberry Pi, i think that would be the cheapest route possible, note sure if that would have the power you want/need

you would be better off with a seasonic 300w psu for your last post
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Raspberry Pi probably isn't quite the power I would be looking for... Haha! I think I would prefer to use a 500w psu to allow room for upgrades to an i3 and a dedicated graphics card at some point

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

keep in mind how efficient modern GPUs are, unless you mom is a serious gamer, CAD user, or a bitcoin minor i doubt you will need over a 450w unit
    coolermaster's psu are really not that good (there GX 430 is ok), there is a reason they are not called powermaster
    http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

okies I like a challenge, how about this lot from Ebuyer? You already have the hard drive and case so..

Gigabyte Board - 36.99, audio, vga and lan
    http://www.ebuyer.com/350251-gigabyt...rd-ga-h61m-ds2

Intel Celeron - 29.76
    http://www.ebuyer.com/393562-intel-c...d-bx80623g465+

Corsair 4gb stick - 20
    http://www.ebuyer.com/235776-corsair...v4gx3m1a1333c9

Casecom 350w psu - 15
    http://www.ebuyer.com/169215-casecom...ex-psu-350watx

Grand total = 101.75

Any good?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AdamInNi View Post
    I don't want to use used components.
    Why not? You're severely limiting your choices given your budget. More than likely, you'll be able to find a used Core 2 Duo desktop instead of trying to hunt for parts if you look for a used machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by angryfirelord View Post
    Why not? You're severely limiting your choices given your budget. More than likely, you'll be able to find a used Core 2 Duo desktop instead of trying to hunt for parts if you look for a used machine.

Maybe I should consider it then... would it be safe enough buying used components?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

cpu and ram used should be no issue, those are things are usually don't go bad, personally i would look for a openbox motherboard before used
    things i would never get used are SSDs and power supplies (unless they are free/super cheap)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast