Thread: Totem Player shuts down when playing .mov files transferred from camera SD card.

Beans

Totem Player shuts down when playing .mov files transferred from camera SD card.

Firstly, I do in fact have the proper codecs (at least to my newbie knowledge) because I can go to apple.com/trailers and firefox plays all their trailers .mov files without a problem

So my question is...I've transferred a bunch of .jpeg's (plays fine) and .mov's (doesn't play) into /home/sony/Pictures/Panasonic Pictures and Videos/June 15, 2008 folder

How come when I double click on a simple .mov file, Totem movie player opens up and then shuts off?

Is there any way to watching a simple .mov files that's on my hard drive? I love ubuntu in the short time I've had this but something this simple is so aggravating!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Totem Player shuts down when playing .mov files transferred from camera SD card.

I believe this is happening:

Firefox has a .mov plugin working. But ONLY Firefox. Your OS does not have it. Here is how to fix it. Go to System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager and Search for "VLC". Mark for installation, and allow all dependencies to be installed.

Now right-click on the .mov file, and "Open with other application" Select VLC from the bottom. Now it should play.
    Angel's Egg: Go watch this, and then the movie. You have never seen anything like it.
    A shout-out to the Linux Mint team for their excellent port of Ubuntu.
    Use any OS worry-free with Derek's Virtual Box.

Beans

Re: Totem Player shuts down when playing .mov files transferred from camera SD card.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Nagato View Post
    I believe this is happening:

Firefox has a .mov plugin working. But ONLY Firefox. Your OS does not have it. Here is how to fix it. Go to System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager and Search for "VLC". Mark for installation, and allow all dependencies to be installed.

Now right-click on the .mov file, and "Open with other application" Select VLC from the bottom. Now it should play.
    Thank You for the tip. VLC does in fact opens up BUT!...now I can only hear the audio (extremely choppy) but no video?????

Am I missing another codec?

Thanks again for your help.