Thread: Upgrading to Firefox 3.6 on Hardy 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Upgrading to Firefox 3.6 on Hardy 8.04

I just upgraded Firefox from updated yet ancient version 3.0.17 to modern 3.6 using Firefox-stable repository

March 15, 2010 update: Firefox 3.6 works perfectly on Hardy 8.04 using firefox-stable repository

Quote Originally Posted by OUTDATED INFORMATION SINCE THE BUG WAS FIXED
    I ran into two problems.

1. Firefox packages conflicted. I had to manually force-remove firefox-3.0 to install firefox-3.6.

2. Firefox 3.6 was not able to start. It was giving some kind of an error message. I worked around the problem by creating a new profile. but my old 3.0 profile with all my stored passwords, bookmarks, etc is unusable in 3.6.
    Any solutions?

P.S. Thank you, Mozilla team and esp. asac, for making new Firefox available for Hardy LTS users. It's been a drag not having 3.5 as an option in repositories.

UPDATE.

Filed bug which was assigned high importance. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ox/+bug/513074 - BUG IS NOW FIXED

Also, found a workaround for a profile change.

start firefox as
    firefox -ProfileManager
    create new profile (let's call it new)
    firefox will start and display a blank look (without any of your extensions)
    close firefox
    go to directory .mozilla/firefox
    copy "important data and their files" EXCEPT User styles (see http://support.mozilla.com/en-U/kb/R...nd_their_files) from broken profile XXXXXX.default to YYYYYY.new
    do not copy anything else, esp User styles and extensions.

you will lose all your extensions, so you will need to manually download them.
    Last edited by michael37; March 17th, 2010 at 01:43 AM. Reason: update with a workaround

Beans
    Distro

Re: Upgrading to Firefox 3.6 on Hardy 8.04

...i think the latest version of firefox is not supported in 8.04

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by byStanderone View Post
    ...i think the latest version of firefox is not supported in 8.04
    It wasn't until January 24, 2010, when Mozilla Team released Firefox 3.6 for Hardy in Firefox-Stable PPA. See link in the OP.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by michael37 View Post
    I just upgraded Firefox from updated yet ancient version 3.0.17 to modern 3.6 using Firefox-stable repository

I ran into two problems.

1. Firefox packages conflicted. I had to manually force-remove firefox-3.0 to install firefox-3.6.

2. Firefox 3.6 was not able to start. It was giving some kind of an error message. I worked around the problem by creating a new profile. but my old 3.0 profile with all my stored passwords, bookmarks, etc is unusable in 3.6.

Any solutions?

P.S. Thank you, Mozilla team and esp. asac, for making new Firefox available for Hardy LTS users. It's been a drag not having 3.5 as an option in repositories.
    Agreed! Thanks for helping those of us that are taking advantage of the LTS idea in a work environment!

Also thanks to Michael for the tip to move your old profile. It didn't even occur to me until I read this post. I'm okay with resetting all of my prefs and add-ons for a newer version of Firefox.

Beans

I just upgraded to Firefox-3.6 by following the instructions at the Stable Repository, then
    sudo apt-get remove firefox
    sudo apt-get install firefox-3.6

and my profile, passwords etc. were already preserved!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fbrauer View Post
    I just upgraded to Firefox-3.6 by following the instructions at the Stable Repository, then
    sudo apt-get remove firefox
    sudo apt-get install firefox-3.6

and my profile, passwords etc. were already preserved!
    Good catch, the bug is now fixed and the problem no longer occurs.