Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME-flavoured Ubuntu Spin Coming

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: GNOME-flavoured Ubuntu Spin Coming

Am I the only one that see's all these.... official spins and kinda silly?

Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, Lubuntu, Gubuntu and whatever else....

All of these desktops can easily be gotten via the repo's anyhow, why not just kill them off, and during install ask the user if they want a different desktop.... since we're beyond a CD now anyhow....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Primefalcon View Post

All of these desktops can easily be gotten via the repo's anyhow, why not just kill them off, and during install ask the user if they want a different desktop.... since we're beyond a CD now anyhow....
    No I have been saying it for years, fragmentation is more our enemy than OSX or Windows.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    No I have been saying it for years, fragmentation is more our enemy than OSX or Windows.
    I don't think fragmentation is a problem, choice is good, but when we're beyond a cd, having all these seperate names... when the only difference is say Unity or XFCE.... well... since the underlying OS is the same anyhow just stick them all on the download image and at boot

have the top ones listed such as

which desktop environment would you like installed (at least for the major DE's anyhow).

Unity (recommended)
    Gnome Shell
    KDE
    LXDE
    XFCE

And then just let the package manager sort it out
    Last edited by Primefalcon; August 31st, 2012 at 12:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Primefalcon View Post

There's something that can be said for those who don't have access to the internet- who either wont use their setup for internet, or just cannot get networking to work- then what are they gonna do for GUI? :/

As you say we are past the CD limit, and how many of us really dont have a DVD drive? So perhaps a group could bundle all the DE into the same DVD, and you could choose at install which DE(s) you want. (Obviously after the fact, due to different release dates of each DE)

EDIT: Or maybe you were sayin' that all along, and i just now thought about what you said from another angle.
    Last edited by Jakin; August 31st, 2012 at 12:55 AM.

Beans

The key to Linux growth is the Corporate Desktop (we have the server segment already) the following is very important for this to happen... identity, reliability, trust and continuity of support.

Fragmentation does not engender this, I know I come from the Corporate sector and have experienced both sides of the bargaining table.

Alas we are seeing the same fragmentation with Android. There is such a thing as spoilt by too much choice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The key to Linux growth is the Corporate Desktop (we have the server segment already) the following is very important for this to happen... identity, reliability, trust and continuity of support.

Fragmentation does not engender this, I know I come from the Corporate sector and have experienced both sides of the bargaining table.

Alas we are seeing the same fragmentation with Android. There is such a thing as spoilt by too much choice.
    For awhile Red Hat and SUSE were the obvious corporate choices (and thus .rpm files were quite ubiquitous), but with SUSE being acquired several times and Ubuntu becoming so popular, that balance has shifted...

But yes, fragmentation is bad. It's unfortunate the Linux world can't settle on a single type of packaging, and other things (sound, display manager, etc...)
    Last edited by Mikeb85; August 31st, 2012 at 01:09 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
    For awhile Red Hat and SUSE were the obvious corporate choices (and thus .rpm files were quite ubiquitous), but with SUSE being acquired several times and Ubuntu becoming so popular, that balance has shifted...

But yes, fragmentation is bad. It's unfortunate the Linux world can't settle on a single type of packaging, and other things (sound, display manager, etc...)
    Classic Divide and conquer, except we are doing the dividing, MSFT and Apple are doing the conquering.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I think package managers and different file hierarchies do a lot more for fragmentation than desktop environments do. If we could have a standard file hierarchy and package manager, we would have a lot less problems. There is more to it than that, like dependency issues. But I don't think having choices of desktop environments is the main thing that causes fragmentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakin View Post
    As you say we are past the CD limit, and how many of us really dont have a DVD drive?
    How many people actually use optical media for installing Linux anymore, anyway? It seems like it's shifting a lot more to USB memory sticks. You can reuse them a lot easier, and they're smaller.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    How many people actually use optical media for installing Linux anymore, anyway? It seems like it's shifting a lot more to USB memory sticks. You can reuse them a lot easier, and they're smaller.
    I admit it, i waste optical media all the time The idea is that i can give to someone to keep and tryout. I also often get the dvd iso, for the other languages included.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The whole point of this is freedom and having multiple options.

I for one would rather have options than success. Success is such a foul objective for open source anyway. We do not need another successful OS that only brings one choice, we already have OS/X and windows for that.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast