Page 51 of 90 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: La Vida- The Sims For Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Smile Re: La Vida- The Sims For Linux

Are any of those cartoonyourself sites open sourced?
    If they are then we can grab the code and have a look into it

There is still a major difference though, especially here:
    upload a pic of his and have him/her avatarized for da game.
    If I am not wrong, those avatars are 2D aren't they? Please do correct me if I am wrong.

La Vida is currently a 3D game, which is why I likened the possibility of creating a realistic avatar to the game Perfect World. It implements using the players image to help create a look-alike avatar. It's really not easy to be done though...since it's in 3 dimensions. It is very different from those cartoonyourself sites.

If you know of an opensource one, please share it here
    My knowledge is not perfect, but I do think that I put up some valid points.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: La Vida- The Sims For Linux

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    Glad to know its not useless! Editing the camera is what jumped out at me when I tried La Vida. I don't really know what else I could try since other endeavors seem quite significant and I don't want to ruin Mike's plan. I guess I'll wait and see what he says. Gonna hit the sack now, but I'll do some more digging in the code tomorrow.
    I'm more than happy to accept your code!

Especially because your awesome enough to supply diffs

Great work, can I ask a little more? woudl you mind making this into to class methods for the camera class? that we can use it as an API and other programmers can move the camera without knowing the math behind it.

I've applied your diff and put it in the trunk.

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by myromance123 View Post

If I am not wrong, those avatars are 2D aren't they? Please do correct me if I am wrong.

La Vida is currently a 3D game, which is why I likened the possibility of creating a realistic avatar to the game Perfect World. It implements using the players image to help create a look-alike avatar. It's really not easy to be done though...since it's in 3 dimensions. It is very different from those cartoonyourself sites.

Hmmm I think we need to mature a little before we can support this sort of stuff to be honest.

We have quite a few things that a far more important in terms of features, ( I'm not saying not a great idea though ), so it may be a long time before we get there on that one.

We need to streamline the avatar loading first then get the whole thing to work on a skeletal animation system instead of a fixed frame system like MD2 is

I'm really trying to keep it Python only but I'm starting to see the need for some C/C++ to make that sort of things fast enough.

Not that anyone will see that difference if they are just a Python programmer trying to mess about with the code.

By the way, I really think that it would be ideal for anyone wanting to learn python or even to experiment in opengl or 3d type stuff to have a go at tweaking stuff to do things slightly different. You dont have to contribute either but you could learn something and I'd be really pleased to hear anyones experiences even if they have nothing to give back.

Mike
    Last edited by Mickeysofine1972; April 24th, 2010 at 12:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Great Idea, good luck.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Freedom is measured in Stallmans.
    Projects: gEcrit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeysofine1972 View Post
    Great work, can I ask a little more? woudl you mind making this into to class methods for the camera class? that we can use it as an API and other programmers can move the camera without knowing the math behind it.
    yay

Is this ok?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5597392/lavida_camera_move.diff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Awesome, I've renamed the MoveCamera to Fly instead so we can type self..m_Camera.Fly(...)

Its now commited to the trunk and I'me gonna drop it into my branch too.

If you have any more please let me know, or if you have a lot few things I will add you to the sourceforge developers list.

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by myromance123 View Post

There are sites like sitepal that render 3D avatar for a image in a few clicks,but they ain't open-source.....so it's not like it's not possible ,but yes i agree that it gonna be very difficult keeping in mind that v r working wid MD2 and the number of developers.

How abt putting it on a TO-DO list?so that it can be worked upon once the project attracts a good number of developers....
    Last edited by justborn; April 24th, 2010 at 03:50 PM.

Beans

Thanks Mike for your quick feedback and action!

Alright, I don't really know what else I should work on, do you have any suggestions? Alot of things seem like big projects, such as the GUI and model loading etc that require coordination and I don't want to tread on anybody's feet. In the meantime, I'll keep exploring.

Anyway, since I didn't know what else to do, I just did more camera work I implemented zoom in and out, using the z and x buttons.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5597392/lavida_camera_zoom.diff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks Mike for your quick feedback and action!

Alright, I don't really know what else I should work on, do you have any suggestions? Alot of things seem like big projects, such as the GUI and model loading etc that require coordination and I don't want to tread on anybody's feet. In the meantime, I'll keep exploring.

Anyway, since I didn't know what else to do, I just did more camera work I implemented zoom in and out, using the z and x buttons.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5597392/lavida_camera_zoom.diff
    cool, To make a gui I plan on using the texturedRect stuff in misc_ui.py so if you wanted you could extend that to open and close when clicked with the right or left mouse buttons

Once we have the finish gui artwork we will be able to use those to say how they should look and feel so for the time being a coloured square would do for the background.

Mike

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeysofine1972 View Post
    cool, To make a gui I plan on using the texturedRect stuff in misc_ui.py so if you wanted you could extend that to open and close when clicked with the right or left mouse buttons
    I'm kinda confused, you mean implement an open() and a close() method for TexturedRect? What would be clicked to open and close it?

Page 51 of 90 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast