Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Lubuntu close to being a "gnome-classic" replacement

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Getting Lubuntu close to being a "gnome-classic" replacement

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I've been working on this "on the side" and I'm definitely gaining ground, as they say a picture is worth a thousand words:

Attachment 229304

Attachment 229305

Attachment 229306

Attachment 229307

Caffeine works just as well as the old 'gnome-inhibit-applet' to control 'xscreensaver', and some people don't like the limitations of 'gnome-screensaver' now anyway.

I managed to get the "indicator-applet" to display cpu/system temps, but I need to rinse-n-repeat a few times before I can document how I did it.

The Clearlooks theme is easy to modify so it's fairly easy to get things to look quite "gnome-2-ish"

But there are a few minor frustrations ......... mostly just a matter of me needing to spend some time figuring out the LXDE and PCManFM config file structures, but there is absolutely no need for anyone to fear that the old desktop paradigm is dying

NOTE: This is a "mash-up" of both Quantal and Raring packages because some things are not yet available in Raring

BTW I'm sure that others will prefer Xubuntu/Xfce and that's just fine.
    Hi,

Just to make sure we are on the same boat/page. Are you trying to achieve similar experience/environment to GNOME 2 by using Lubuntu?

On a side note: Before my passion and obsession for Lubuntu started, I used to love GNOME2 and Ubuntu 10.04 was my favorite. Well, that is history now

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    Hi,

I have never seen "other" on Lubuntu since 10.04 until now. Are we talking about LXDE or Lubuntu?
    I honestly don't remember; I've installed LXDE on so many distros, and I don't have anything running Lubuntu at the moment. The "other" menu has been an annoyance for me in LXDE in general. That's why I found it notable that this was missing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    Hi,

Just to make sure we are on the same boat/page. Are you trying to achieve similar experience/environment to GNOME 2 by using Lubuntu?

On a side note: Before my passion and obsession for Lubuntu started, I used to love GNOME2 and Ubuntu 10.04 was my favorite. Well, that is history now
    Basically yes. In fact i can get almost everything to behave as though I were using Gnome 2. The one thing I haven't figured out is why in GNOME you can highlight text, then click anywhere on that page to copy or cut, but with Openbox/Lubuntu you must focus the mouse directly over the highlighted text. But Clearlooks still works perfectly in Lubuntu

And it looks like I may have Julien talked into pursuing a LTS for 14.04! I proposed 30 to 36 months.

Beans

Situation is improving bit by bit for users that would like to use GNOME but don't feel comfortable using GnomeShell:

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...e-1832713.html

The problem is you have to have decent GPU acceleration if you don't want to have slow DE but i do imagine this is not to hard to achieve nowadays. There are still issues like why can't i rotate the cube... but i do see possibility Classic Mode would become used/loved again. I don't think GnomeShell in the state it is today (the whole paradigm/concept) will become something used/loved by huge user base but i do see possibility for GNOME to pull it off with Classic Mode to some extent.

Beans

And imagine Ubuntu would give the edge to GNOME 3 Classic Mode again like it did with GNOME 2. It could work but yes now we have other "fancy shells" and we have to see what they will achieve first.

P.S. But it's nice to know there still is something we could call Classic Mode officially supported by GNOME team!
    Last edited by EgoGratis; March 31st, 2013 at 01:51 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I've been working on this "on the side" and I'm definitely gaining ground, as they say a picture is worth a thousand words:
    I love Lubuntu as well; the team is turning out some really amazing looking UIs and the whole system is still solid and lightweight.

When you're ready to write up a wiki page with all your tweaks and configs, let me know.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    The biggest annoyance for me in LXDE was always the menu. About half my programs would end up in "Other", even when they legitimately belonged in another category. It didn't look like there were any improvements to the menu in the pipeline, but I notice your menu doesn't have an "other" category. Is this fixed now or did you manually customize the menu?
    I'm using pure (= no other DE) 12.10 Lubuntu. I don't see "other". Could you put up a pic of your issue? Maybe in a thread of its own?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

xfce is closer to gnome classic than lxde
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I'm using pure (= no other DE) 12.10 Lubuntu. I don't see "other". Could you put up a pic of your issue? Maybe in a thread of its own?
    I appreciate that all the Lubuntu enthusiasts are ready to help me with this issue, but please notice the use of past tense in my post. I don't generally use LXDE anymore except on the occasional server or ad-hoc test system where I don't want to download a huge desktop environment. If Lubuntu has fixed the "other" problem in the menu, great; glad to hear it. I was *mentioning* that this was a problem for me in the past specifically because I did not see it in the OP's screenshots.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    I appreciate that all the Lubuntu enthusiasts are ready to help me with this issue, but please notice the use of past tense in my post. ...
    Ubuntu is used by people with varying grammatical competence. That's my excuse for why I don't parse posts punctiliously. Will do so in future

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast