Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheese Alternative?

Beans

Question Cheese Alternative?

Hello again!

I've got a webcam problem. Well, actually it's a software problem.

See, I use youtube regularly, but I can't record videos on my laptop. Everyone I've asked says that cheese is by far the best software available for linux users, but it saves in an unusable format: ogv, or ogg, or something in a "theora" codec. I have read in multiple places that a cheese software glitch makes it impossible to reformat video files recorded in cheese, and have been unsuccessful thus far.

Is there an alternative webcam application that will record video in a usable format? In the software center it says that wxcam is not available for my computer.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Cheese Alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by maryalesia View Post
    Hello again!

I've got a webcam problem. Well, actually it's a software problem.

See, I use youtube regularly, but I can't record videos on my laptop. Everyone I've asked says that cheese is by far the best software available for linux users, but it saves in an unusable format: ogv, or ogg, or something in a "theora" codec. I have read in multiple places that a cheese software glitch makes it impossible to reformat video files recorded in cheese, and have been unsuccessful thus far.

Is there an alternative webcam application that will record video in a usable format? In the software center it says that wxcam is not available for my computer.
    Chese really is the best webcam app available for Linux, even though it only outputs in stuff like ogv. If you want your video in a usable format, you can open your video in Pitivi video editor and export it to a format usable by YouTube. This takes a little bit of time, but it works.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_IronFist View Post
    Chese really is the best webcam app available for Linux, even though it only outputs in stuff like ogv. If you want your video in a usable format, you can open your video in Pitivi video editor and export it to a format usable by YouTube. This takes a little bit of time, but it works.
    I've tried, but it never loads. As in, I can leave it for an hour and come back and nada. The application doesn't freeze, it's just that nothing happens.

How long does it take when you use it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

VLC will do it. Media->Convert/Save, Capture Device tab, change settings as you like (Video device name can be blank) and hit Convert/Save. Choose a filename and a YouTube-supported format for Profile and click Start.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow1304 View Post
    VLC will do it. Media->Convert/Save, Capture Device tab, change settings as you like (Video device name can be blank) and hit Convert/Save. Choose a filename and a YouTube-supported format for Profile and click Start.
    Thanks! This will probably keep me busy for a while. I appreciate the help!

Beans

Also try Webcamstudio. It works very well, when it works.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_IronFist View Post
    Huh?? If it outputs files in unusable formats how is it the best??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

.ogv and .ogg are Free and Open source media codecs. If you wish to convert the files to the more common .mp3, .mp4 or .avi, you can use WinFF, which is probably the best program for this purpose.
    The above post definitely does not contain any sarcasm at all.

Beans

i like wxcam my self

read and install all the page tells you to

http://wxcam.sourceforge.net/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jerenept View Post
    .ogv and .ogg are Free and Open source media codecs. If you wish to convert the files to the more common .mp3, .mp4 or .avi, you can use WinFF, which is probably the best program for this purpose.
    This is true, but there's a bug in Cheese that prevents many converters from being able to handle files it saves. The formats themselves are fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast