Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: how to change repos to Saucy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: how to change repos to Saucy

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    apt-get update refresh the package listing, which tells the system these are the latest packages.
    running apt-get upgrade, or apt-get dist-upgrade will download and install the updated packages.
    Typically, it'll show you a list of packages that have updates, and a yes/no option if you don't want to install, or not.

There are other commands to look at in the man page
    Code:
    man apt-get

Thank's, looks like I'm fully up to date then.

Roland
    Toshiba Satellite Running Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

You are already on saucy, so not much more to update at the moment.
    Last edited by JMB74; April 27th, 2013 at 08:55 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Saucy makes me think of sauce, which makes me think of food, which makes me hungry. And people do crazy things when they're hungry.
    Possibly, Mark Shuttleworth have been here before...

http://www.saucysalamander.com/

Beans

Ubuntu kernel meta package is now pointing to 3.9, but it's not functional because linux-image-extra-3.9.0-0-generic is missing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Should be fixed with the coming final 3.9 kernel (not a big deal by the way, its only an issue with 1 meta-package)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pnarciso View Post
    Ubuntu kernel meta package is now pointing to 3.9, but it's not functional because linux-image-extra-3.9.0-0-generic is missing.
    I don't think that's the issue - they are not using the image-extra package any more. The issue is the change from 3.9.0-0 to 3.9.0.0 (subtle, I know!). The meta package points to 3.9.0.0 vs 3.9.0-0, and its image package isn't there yet, at least not on my mirror.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    I don't think that's the issue - they are not using the image-extra package any more. The issue is the change from 3.9.0-0 to 3.9.0.0 (subtle, I know!). The meta package points to 3.9.0.0 vs 3.9.0-0, and its image package isn't there yet, at least not on my mirror.
    If you try to install linux-image-generic, there's a dependency error that points to linux-image-extra-3.9.0-0-generic, but that package is not available anymore so, it's weird.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pnarciso View Post
    If you try to install linux-image-generic, there's a dependency error that points to linux-image-extra-3.9.0-0-generic, but that package is not available anymore so, it's weird.
    Wow, that is a bug in linux-image-generic, pure and simple. The version of the metapackage 3.0.0.1, but it points to a kernel version that's 3.9.0-0, and the -extra package at that. The 'extra' package has not been used for the last couple of rc's. Just a wrong entry in the metapackage, which I'm sure will get fixed quickly.

[edit: the linux-image-server and the pae metapackage both have the correct dependencies. But the appropriate actual image packages haven't propagaged yet, at least to my mirror...]
    Last edited by sgage; April 27th, 2013 at 02:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Wow, that is a bug in linux-image-generic, pure and simple. The version of the metapackage 3.0.0.1, but it points to a kernel version that's 3.9.0-0
    That is how it should be. That is how meta packages for the kernels work; so they can pull in new kernel versions by dependency on a dist-upgrade of the meta pack packages.

The x.x.x.x versus x.x.x-x version in the meta packages is deliberate in order to achieve that.

, and the -extra package at that. The 'extra' package has not been used for the last couple of rc's. Just a wrong entry in the metapackage, which I'm sure will get fixed quickly.
    That is the error here. -extra packages are no longer being built, so are not needed in the meta package. There is one wrongly there in the last meta upload, but it can't upgrade as the -image-extra package it depends on isn't there in the actual kernel build.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JMB74 View Post
    That is how it should be. That is how meta packages for the kernels work; so they can pull in new kernel versions by dependency on a dist-upgrade of the meta pack packages.

The x.x.x.x versus x.x.x-x version in the meta packages is deliberate in order to achieve that.

That is the error here. -extra packages are no longer being built, so are not needed in the meta package. There is one wrongly there in the last meta upload, but it can't upgrade as the -image-extra package it depends on isn't there in the actual kernel build.
    I get it now. Just too many 0's and such for my tired old eyes

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast