Thread: Nasty mean computer won't let me wrie to blank DVD-Rs???!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Nasty mean computer won't let me wrie to blank DVD-Rs???!!

Trying to write files to a blank DVD -R. So, I insert the DVD, and Ubuntu tells me I've inserted a "BLANK CD-ROM" and asks what I want to do. Hmm, I think. I inserted a blank DVD-R, ie a blank DVD-Recordable, not a blank DVD-ROM. But anyway, I select BLANK CD/DVD Writer. It goes through the motions, checking file sizes etc (which are all in order", then ejects the DVD, saying there's been some burn error. And it's still going on about the BLANK DVD-ROM, rather than the DVD-R it actually is. I've done this several times now, always with the some result, which suggests it's not me who's making a mistake. After all, the DVD-Rs have clearly printed on them TDK DVD-R RECORDABLE 16X | 120 MINS | 4.7 GB.

So, is Ubuntu misidentified the DVD-Rs with DVD-ROMS, hence the burn error? Or is it something more than that? And, most importantly (to me), how do I get round this? I have a bunch of DVD-Rs (not all TDKs) and I want to use them. Please don't tell me I've wasted my money on DVD-Rs! I am using Ubuntu 12.04.

Cheers!
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans

Re: Nasty mean computer won't let me wrie to blank DVD-Rs???!!

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    Trying to write files to a blank DVD -R. So, I insert the DVD, and Ubuntu tells me I've inserted a "BLANK CD-ROM" and asks what I want to do.
    Please don't tell me I've wasted my money on DVD-Rs!
    I think most recent drives handle both and are marked DVD±RW on the drive; but is it possible that this drive is one of the odd ones that only support plus R an not minus R?

Just a thought. Either way, "blank CD-ROM" is an odd message since ROM = Read Only. I wonder what that means.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You're trying to burn data to a blank DVD-R?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.10 Saucy Salamander

which burner program are you using? I've always had problems with brasero not liking my burners and doing exactly what you describe. I've always had luck with k3b, its for kde but it works so much better than most others.
    zealibib slaughter is a dwarven paladin of ill temperment played by a fat man of jolly temperment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

DVD-Rs are so yesterday. USB stick.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Slug71 View Post
    USB has its place but isn't for everyone. My DVD player takes USB sticks but not for playing videos, it's music only in that department.

As for calling a blank DVD-R a DVD-ROM, once it's written to, it will be, in effect, a form of ROM. Like someone else said, it could be one of those situations where the drive is a bit fussy about what kind of blank media it handles. The drive in my first laptop could read DVDs but not write to them: it would only write to CDs.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Slug71 View Post
    And exactly HOW is this helpful to the OP trying to burn DVDs??
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am writing data files to DVD as back-up. These files are .avi, .mp4, .jpg. I'm using the default "CD/DVD burner" in Ubuntu (Brasero perhaps?).

Strange thing. I can write movie files (.avi, .mp4, etc) fine to the DVD-Rs, but not my photo files (.jpg format files). Anyone know what's up with that?

As for the whole "DVDs are so yesterday, use USB media instead...", I own 5 USB sticks, a couple of cards, and a kazillion blank DVD-Rs. So I'd like to use them for something more useful than place-mats, y'know?

Anyway: all help gladly received. Cheers!
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans

I second the recommendation of K3B. I've used it for years, never had a single problem with it, on a variety of CD/DVD burners. Rock solid under gnome as well. Even Gnome3 and Unity.
    Last edited by r_avital; August 16th, 2013 at 06:23 PM.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...avital&t=45104
    "I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."
    ― Albert Einstein