Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntume - Ubuntu muslim edition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Ubuntume - Ubuntu muslim edition

http://ubuntume.com Cool, since christians have theirs. Any thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Ubuntume - Ubuntu muslim edition

I think it's awesome to be honest.

Beans

I can see how these groups, be they based on Religion, Politics, Sexuality, whatever, may find comfort in creating communities of like minded people, and there may be benefits in that.

It concerns me though, because often it seems to me that such groups will be fairly vocal (not referring to any individuals here) about being ignored or treated unfairly, and then do something like this, which surely must remove them further from the community as a whole. Just a thought.
    ~~ Ubuntu Forums Firefox/Flock Menu ~~ Ubuntu User Number 206 ~~ Linux user number 403379 ~~

~~ If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything don't do it. ~~

Beans

my personal opinion; just as useless as Christian Edition. Things like this may attract more groups to Linux, but I'm just not a fan of using religion to do it. I guess I'm not a fan of religion at all.

my objective opinion; It's a free world, everyone has choices. If they really want to do this, great; Fun times for everyone

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If it serves a community, great!

The whole point of open source is the freedom to modify code to serve a purpose or niche.

Of course, since it is related to organized religion, there are bound to be people who will flame such efforts.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

what other version are made, and my question is why? What would be different?
    If something takes longer then an hour to do, you've done somethign wrong.

Kubuntu dapper and a half
    (kubuntu with the latest kde all the fixes of edgy none of the problems)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Foudre View Post
    From the website:
    Quote Originally Posted by FAQ
    Why a "Muslim Edition"?
    Ubuntu is a great distro, easy to use for a beginner user, with the most-used Office, Internet, Graphics and Video applications already installed. So we think that for Muslim users it could be great to have "out of the box" Islamic softwares and tools installed as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Main Page
    Ubuntu Muslim Edition customize the Ubuntu distro by installing islamic softwares (prayer times, Quran study tool, Arabic learning software etc.) and by changing its "look".
    Ubuntu CE, Ubuntu SE, and Ubuntu ME are no different in principle from Ubuntu Christmas/Ultimate Edition, Linux Mint, or Mepis (based on Ubuntu but with different default packages, artwork, etc.--in order to address a different need/audience). They will always remain controversial, though, just because some people have it out for anything related to religion.
    Last edited by aysiu; March 6th, 2007 at 07:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Foudre View Post
    CE comes with bible study software, ME with quran study software and prayer timer. (among other things, i guess)

Beans

I have nothing against what you are doing or your religion. However, I must say this is a major problem in the Ubuntu community.

The Ubuntuification of Linux has been going on for a few years now and seems to be getting worse. People view Ubuntu as being Linux with specific applications. And it is. However, this image also gives people the impression that in order to get other applications they must install a different version of Ubuntu. This of course started with Kubuntu. Now there is an Xubuntu, UbuntuCE, Linux Mint, Ubuntu SE, Ubuntu ME, and recently added to the list... Ubuntume. However, this image of specific applications with different Ubuntu based distros is really getting out of hand. Look around on the forums and you will see the fragmentation of these seperate distros. New Linux users are coming into this thinking that in order to get "X" application they must install the "X" version of Ubuntu.

Why not just make a simple script or metapackage that would install all these programs on a simple stock ubuntu install? Wouldn't that be much easier than re-inventing the wheel and making a completely new distro?

Although this is not geared towards just you, I'm including all Ubuntu offshoots...

ENOUGH ALREADY!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That's funny, tubasoldier--your profile says you're a Kubuntu user

I sort of agree with you, in that the titling of these offshoots can be confusing for new users who feel, as you say, "that in order to get other applications they must install a different version of Ubuntu."

But the offshooting itself isn't bad, especially since a live CD with everything as you want it is a lot more convenient than a script. I'm thinking particularly of people who have a slow or no internet connection. A modified Desktop CD with some Quran software is handy for a non-connected computer, but a script isn't.

Ever since Ubuntu CE first made waves (and sparked a lot of controversy), I've been very much in favor of these offshoots, but I'm still not in favor of people using the word Ubuntu in the titling of their offshoots. Linux Mint and Mepis are cool in my book for this very reason. They acknowledge being based on Ubuntu but do not confuse new users with too many options to choose from.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast