Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: can't install google earth in 12.10

Beans

Re: can't install google earth in 12.10

fdrake , the second link you posted was one I had looked at before, unfortunatly i didnt upgrade from 12.-04 . i did a fresh install of 12.10 alone.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cabz View Post
    i found this refrence, i do not have the" multiarch with foreign architecturei386" file how do i create it? can someone send me a copy of it?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sworddragon
    Yes, on 64 bit systems you have to enable multiarch to get the needed packages. Check if /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/multiarch with the content "foreign-architecture i386" exists. If not create it and try again (you have to run "apt-get update" again).
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/multiarch
    Copy & paste in the text foreign-architecture i386
    Ctrl-x, "y" to save changes.

Beans

HOOOTIE WHOOO , I got it. I found this launchpad page

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...+build/3497127

and got the file installed after the above help on the "etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/multiarch with the content "foreign-architecture i386" exists. If not create it and try again (you have to run "apt-get update" again)." after that and the lb32 install google earth is now working .
    Thanks to everyone who helped me!

On a side note , during the install i got a message that the "foreign-archetecture.i386" is going to cause a hard error later and that i should remove it . if i do that will google earth still work?.

and again thanks .

Beans

HOOOTIE WHOOO , I got it. I found this launchpad page

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...+build/3497127

and got the file installed after the above help on the "etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/multiarch with the content "foreign-architecture i386" exists. If not create it and try again (you have to run "apt-get update" again)." after that and the lb32 install google earth is now working .
    Thanks to everyone who helped me!

On a side note , during the install i got a message that the "foreign-archetecture.i386" is going to cause a hard error later and that i should remove it . if i do that will google earth still work?.

and again thanks .
    just an update, i renamed the "foregin archetecture.i386" to " add-archetecture.i386" as instructed in the terminal window. google erath still worked .
    BUT upon doing a software update the system tried to undo all of the changes i made, it wanted to uninstall ia32-libs files and google earth. in the end I switched back to the "foreign arch" wording and I am gonna leave it at that. so all iin all it looks like this might just be a temporary fix until 13.04 is released..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

cabz, glad you got this working. Could you please mark the thread as 'Solved' under the Thread Tools menu? It will help others who might be having the same problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    cabz, glad you got this working. Could you please mark the thread as 'Solved' under the Thread Tools menu? It will help others who might be having the same problem.
    wiil do

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    Try
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch
    then retry installing Google Earth.
    well, this is just great - but WHERE do you type in this code - please walk me through step by step from the Ubuntu desktop since I am a "know nothing" when it comes to geek speak.

thanks ..........

Beans

fdrake , the second link you posted was one I had looked at before, unfortunatly i didnt upgrade from 12.-04 . i did a fresh install of 12.10 alone.
    I just installed the latest version of 12 - then downloaded Google Earth packager installer - ran the package installer - went OK - but, now, where do I find an icon or other indicator to Launch Google Earth? It appears to have installed Google Earth Stable, but there is no indication of any kind on how to launch the software.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wwwilkison View Post
    well, this is just great - but WHERE do you type in this code - please walk me through step by step from the Ubuntu desktop since I am a "know nothing" when it comes to geek speak.

thanks ..........
    open a terminal window, then copy and paste the command from this post into the window and hit enter

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wwwilkison View Post
    I just installed the latest version of 12 - then downloaded Google Earth packager installer - ran the package installer - went OK - but, now, where do I find an icon or other indicator to Launch Google Earth? It appears to have installed Google Earth Stable, but there is no indication of any kind on how to launch the software.
    go to the dash and type in google earth it should show up, once it is launched right click the icon and choose " lock to taskbar " to keep it handy.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234