Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Easy Ubuntu Clustering

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Easy Ubuntu Clustering

Hi All!

I'm researching for a paper for our company (sadly, the paper is proprietary) on how to use existing open source solutions for cluster computing and balancing the loads between computers that merely do spreadsheets or emails with computers that do intensive compiles/builds. Looks like I found the right source of info!

I'll try to catch up on all the info you've guys have written. Interesting stuff.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by punong_bisyonaryo View Post
    Hi All!

I'm researching for a paper for our company (sadly, the paper is proprietary) on how to use existing open source solutions for cluster computing and balancing the loads between computers that merely do spreadsheets or emails with computers that do intensive compiles/builds. Looks like I found the right source of info!

I'll try to catch up on all the info you've guys have written. Interesting stuff.
    Hello, punong_bisyonaryo.

It's a popular wish to harness all the 'idle' CPU cycles on under-used office desktops, but the people using them will not be very happy when your intensive compile/build makes their web browser go catatonic!

What works best under these circumstances is 'volunteer' computing:

http://www.volunteerathome.com/

The point about volunteer computing is that the donor computer decides when to volunteer its resources (e.g. when a screen saver starts up).

In contrast, MOSIX/openMosix was actually designed to work the way that you want to by using the idle CPU's on workstations but the computers all have to run Linux. In practice, though, it's difficult to avoid someone switching a computer off, or rebooting it in the middle of your job that has been migrated onto it. When that happens your job is lost...

Clustering systems are only as reliable as the nodes they contain: If you don't control the nodes, then you don't control the cluster. For that reason, most people build a private cluster LAN with dedicated compute nodes connected to it. Even if you do control your company's desktops, you will still have problems running cluster software on the public (company) LAN, because you will be using up a lot of the available network bandwidth migrating programs and data to and from 'idle' desktops.

I think there are circumstances where it might work if e.g. you take over the company LAN and reboot Linux on the desktop PC's during out-of-hours and run your compile farm then. This is common practice in University PC teaching labs that run Micro$oft Windows by day, but Linux HPC software by night

Good luck + please do post your conclusions here!

Bye,

Tony.

Beans

Well, somehow i found that dhcp can be set up as a daemon...
    A floppy distribution "eucaristOS" actually use this technique to set up cluster on old computers...
    However it does not support my network card... so sad...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Maybe we can take this information and start collecting it under https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Clustering ???

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by antony_css View Post
    Well, somehow i found that dhcp can be set up as a daemon...
    A floppy distribution "eucaristOS" actually use this technique to set up cluster on old computers...
    However it does not support my network card... so sad...
    Hello, antony_css.

Beware, eucaristOS is based on an even older version of openMosix than I'm using!

You could compile in support for your network card, if you download the openMosix kernel sources, However, I think you would be better off trying out the Kerrighed 'live' CD, which also runs DHCP for you:

http://www.kerlabs.com/dl/kerrighed-live.iso

Bye,

Tony.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by altonbr View Post
    Maybe we can take this information and start collecting it under https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Clustering ???
    Hello, altonbr.

OK, I've created a 'Clustering' page...

Bye,

Tony.

Beans

Hi all!
    I am trying to create a little home cluster with Ubunto 8.04 and Kerrighed, but I am facing some problems.
    I run the build.sh script located in wiki page, but at some point he run the command vi Makefile and stop waiting for something, what i have to do at this point? The comment say "# edit Extraversion" what i need to chage/edit?
    Thanks and cherrs

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by swisspipe View Post
    Hi all!
    I am trying to create a little home cluster with Ubunto 8.04 and Kerrighed, but I am facing some problems.
    I run the build.sh script located in wiki page, but at some point he run the command vi Makefile and stop waiting for something, what i have to do at this point? The comment say "# edit Extraversion" what i need to chage/edit?
    Thanks and cherrs
    Hello, swisspipe.

That build.sh describes the commands I used to compile the Kerrighed kernel under Ubuntu 8.04. You have to edit the 'Extraversion' in the Makefile if you are building a 'deb' because the kernel name must obey the Debian package name conventions. The build failed with the default Kerrighed 'Extraversion', so I tried changing it to:

EXTRAVERSION = -krg-2.3.0

That resulted in a valid Debian package name

The commands in "build.sh" only compile and package the kernel. I've not packaged the Kerrighed user-land tools yet.

Bye,

Tony.

Beans

I really wish to have a workable eucaristOS disk for my computers...
    Is it possible to merge the latest kernel in ajt's deb to the eucaristOS source?

Looking into the source directory of eucaristOS, I didn't find any related folders like "/boot" for me to replace the kernel... Isn't that because the disk does not use grub as bootloader?

BTW, I keep making stupid mistakes even when I tried to make the floppy image from the source. It crashes due to an unknown error...like the one below:
    $ sudo make all
    Building floppy image.../bin/sh: Syntax error: Bad fd number
    make: *** [floppy] Error 2
    What should I do?

Beans

Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast