Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random lockups with Lubuntu 13.10 beta1 64 bit

Beans

Question Random lockups with Lubuntu 13.10 beta1 64 bit

Hello all,

Recently I installed the amd64 version of Lubuntu 13.10 beta1 alongside my still existing installation of 10.10.

There were a few minor bugs for which I submitted bug reports and generally the system runs well except for one big problem.

At apparently random times it'll completely freeze. No keys will work, not even CTRL+ALT+DEL of the SysRq key combinations, and no disk activity as well. The only solution when this happens is to cold reboot via the reset button.

During my three years of running 10.10 on the same CPU (and one year on the same motherboard), this NEVER happened. Even now when I boot into 10.10 there are no lockups. This leads me to think if this is possibly a problem with the newer kernel and drivers (v3.11 vs v2.6.35 in 10.10) not playing well with my old hardware?

Processor is Intel Pentium Dual Core E2140 1.6 GHz and mainboard is MSI G41M-P33 combo (Intel G41 chipset) for what it's worth.

The freeze-up particularly seems to happen when I close or open OpenGL apps like Flightgear or Firefox. I tested the RAM with Memtest86 and it is fine. I'm thinking it is a combination of flaky mainboard hardware and the new kernel...

Would downgrading to Precise help? Everything is fine except for this issue...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Random lockups with Lubuntu 13.10 beta1 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by santosh83 View Post
    Would downgrading to Precise help? Everything is fine except for this issue...
    It's likely, but noone can answer for sure. I would go for Raring, though. Please try and let us know the results.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Thanks!

Just to test if it is something solely specific to the newer version I've installed a heavy OpenGL app (flightgear) on both 10.10 and 13.10, and will test them both to the limit. I already know lockups often occur in 13.10, and if 10.10 manages to run fgfs without any lockup, then this would indicate that something to do with newer kernel/graphics code is not tolerated by my hardware.

Not that I can do much in any case... I can hardly stick with 10.10 anymore! I guess I'll have to bear with the irritation of these freeze-ups until I can get a new mainboard and CPU.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I don't see any indications that hardware is failing. Sounds more like the classical problems with a beta version.

If you want to isolate and report the bugs, which will be appreciated, it's better to compare 13.10 with 13.04 than 10.10.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!

We think that the current problem that Lubuntu Saucy will freeze is caused by a regression that recent kernels do not cooperate well with zRAM. See this bug report

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1227202

It is very reproducible with the installer and low RAM, but it can happen at other instances too, during the installation or after the installation in the installed system.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    We think that the current problem that Lubuntu Saucy will freeze is caused by a regression that recent kernels do not cooperate well with zRAM. See this bug report

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1227202

It is very reproducible with the installer and low RAM, but it can happen at other instances too, during the installation or after the installation in the installed system.
    This must be it. I remember that the install crashed at the very last stage too! Hopefully an update will soon patch this up. Except for this annoying problem I'm generally happy with 13.10... Thanks for the heads up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Two things I'd like to highlight, just to make sure the OP understands it clearly

1- Ubuntu 10.10 has reached its EOL already - http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2012/04/10/...april-10-2012/

2- Ubuntu Developmental releases are NOT for day-to-day usage:
    http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2013/09/06/...ta-1-released/

Thank you

@OP
    Please click on "affect me" on that bug

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    2- Ubuntu Developmental releases are NOT for day-to-day usage:
    http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2013/09/06/...ta-1-released/
    I see that, but since we're this close to another release I didn't want to install 13.04 and upgrade/reinstall again in just a few weeks!

Lots and lots of little bugs/rough edges but this issue was the only major obstacle here, and now it looks as if there's an easy solution (turn off zram) until things get patched, so I think I'll ride this beta train onto 13.10.

@OP
    Please click on "affect me" on that bug
    Done!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by santosh83 View Post
    I see that, but since we're this close to another release I didn't want to install 13.04 and upgrade/reinstall again in just a few weeks!
    That is your call and you are the only one who is responsible if anything might be broken
    Better Safe Than Sorry!

But, if you insist, since you are using Saucy, please, make sure to update your system daily:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Done!
    Thank you!

P.S.
    Get rid of your outdated 10.10 unless you have a good valid reason to keep it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    That is your call and you are the only one who is responsible if anything might be broken
    Better Safe Than Sorry!

But, if you insist, since you are using Saucy, please, make sure to update your system daily:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    Thank you!

P.S.
    Get rid of your outdated 10.10 unless you have a good valid reason to keep it
    I do run the "System tools->Software Updater" 2-3 times a day! But it doesn't do the 'apt-get upgrade' process right? I'll do that from the terminal then... As for 10.10, yes as soon as 13.10 is released and the dust settles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast