Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I upgrade to 12.10 Quantal Quetzal?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Question Should I upgrade to 12.10 Quantal Quetzal?

I was just wondering whether it would be a good idea to upgrade to the 12.10 release of Ubuntu. I'm not running anything mission-critical, and I do like to err on the side of new/unstable, but I was wondering what the general opinion is on it. Is is unusably crash-prone? Is it chock-full of new features? I'd kind of like this to be an open-ended discussion about 12.10 in general.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Should I upgrade to 12.10 Quantal Quetzal?

Hello, JamesTheAwesomeDude.

Which Ubuntu version are you using currently?
    In case the answer is Ubuntu 12.04 then my answer will clearly be: no, do not upgrade. What good reason should there be of giving up Ubuntu 12.04 which offers 5 years' LTS and which is quite stable by now in favour of Ubuntu 12.10 which is just one more short lived interim edition (end of life after 18 months )?

Kind regards,
    Karl
    "I killed her in pure self-defense", said the bear after crushing the mouse. "She threatened my life."
    War (What is it good for)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Community Cafe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I don't have anything "mission critical" either so I'll always (if you're in same boat) say to upgrade, especially as you mention you like to try out the latest.

I personally think it's actually MORE stable than 12.04 especially Unity but ymmv. I also feel that Virtualbox and some other software I use a lot run better.
    ]If in doubt, create a new partition or image your current set up and revert back.
    Linux is not windows // Ubuntu (Quantal:12.10) Guide
    Use descriptive thread titles // Linux... is... not... windows // OSX... is... not... Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

For me, i found an upgrade to offer benifits on my laptop. I couldn't get the Quantal kernel to install in 12.04 amd64, and the 3.5 kernel seemed to offer more stability for me, and so far has certainly proved it in my eyes- thus 12.10 was the way to go.
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Should I upgrade to 12.10 Quantal Quetzal?

I'm perfectly content with
    Ubuntu 12.04 and plan just to plod right along with it.

But if you want to try the latest, have fun.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you have to ask anyone's opinion, my answer is NO.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

So far there's been no clear reason for me to upgrade. 12.04 offers me everything I need and PPAs shore up the missing spots. Of course, I don't use unity.

Beans

A part of me thinks I should've went ahead and installed Kubuntu 12.04 instead of 12.10, as the only real upgrades are the Linux kernel, X.org server, and KDE Plasma. Linux can easily be upgraded as can KDE Plasma in 12.04.

The main reason I say is because I've found that a few PPA's (outside of Ubuntu/GNOME/Unity-specific ones) don't have packages for 12.10... at least yet.

Unless you want bleeding-edge software that PPA's don't quite upgrade nor provide, then I'd say upgrade to 12.10.
    Don't like Unity? Hate it? Not your cup of coffee? Ubuntu does provide choices. There's GNOME Shell, KDE Plasma, Xfce, LXDE, and now MATE and Cinnamon. Take your pick

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Do you have a specific reason? I always have a stable LTS install totally tweaked and customised as my main squeeze (in this case, Xubuntu 12.04 LTS). I need this solid install for study (cos can't afford the time to fix stuff on it mid-semester so xmas break is pretty much it). I also have three other partitions for my 'playthings'. I am in the middle of getting rid of 10.10 and 11.10 to make room for 12.10 and 13.04. Doesn't matter if they break or are in various stages of disarray.

That's what suits me.

If you have nothing 'mission critical' then it doesn't really matter what you install if you have the time to figure stuff out, tweak, and not necessarily have a stable system.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast