Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to root Galaxy S (Epic 4g) on Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

How to root Galaxy S (Epic 4g) on Ubuntu?

I've spent all morning trying to find clear instructions for rooting an original Galaxy S on Ubuntu, with no luck so far.

So I come to you, Ubuntu Forums, to help guide me toward the bliss of having a rooted Android phone.

It is my goal to root my Galaxy S and install Jelly Bean onto it to give it an extended life.

Please, please help!
    In a ham and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved but the pig is committed

Beans

Re: How to root Galaxy S (Epic 4g) on Ubuntu?

check out the xda forums for your phone and take a look at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1076967
    Last edited by mamamia88; October 7th, 2012 at 09:48 PM.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well, I did, and found this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ht=root+ubuntu

...but I have no idea what to do with it. I made the files executable and ran the script in the terminal, but it didn't really work out.

So, as a last resort before I throw this thing out the window, was to inquire if anyone around HERE has had any success rooting the phone using the OS of choice around these parts.

Beans

you running gingerbread?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't know much about the Epic 4G, but every Samsung phone I've ever owned has been rootable by installing a custom kernel with Odin. In the case of Ubuntu, Heimdall or whatever it's called is probably going to be your go to software.
    That's what she said.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    you running gingerbread?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by AllRadioisDead View Post
    I don't know much about the Epic 4G, but every Samsung phone I've ever owned has been rootable by installing a custom kernel with Odin. In the case of Ubuntu, Heimdall or whatever it's called is probably going to be your go to software.
    Interesting, so you can install a custom kernel w/o having to root it? I have already have Heimdall installed so this development could be helpful. Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PuddingKnife View Post
    Yes.

Interesting, so you can install a custom kernel w/o having to root it? I have already have Heimdall installed so this development could be helpful. Thanks
    says specifically in that post that it doesn't work in gingerbread. can you downgrade?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It's quite easy to root them. You essentially need to flash the phone with a custom kernel. The kernel needs to work with your specific gingerbread build e.g. XXJVH or whatever it may be.
    The easiest way to do it is to just flash a custom rom and kernel all in one basically.

A good rom to flash is the CyanogenMod. I'm using it on my own SGS (but mind you I dont' have the Epic 4g)
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword...but Steven Seagal is mightier than the Pen AND the Sword. http://tinyurl.com/ybnsx2w
    Don't have Dropbox or any cloud-hosting yet? Click this -->http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1MDE3NzY5

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    says specifically in that post that it doesn't work in gingerbread. can you downgrade?
    I don't know how to downgrade, but thank you for your patience so far.

Quote Originally Posted by fontis View Post
    It's quite easy to root them. You essentially need to flash the phone with a custom kernel. The kernel needs to work with your specific gingerbread build e.g. XXJVH or whatever it may be.
    The easiest way to do it is to just flash a custom rom and kernel all in one basically.

A good rom to flash is the CyanogenMod. I'm using it on my own SGS (but mind you I dont' have the Epic 4g)
    So, is there a guide somewhere for that? I currently have Heimdall and Heimdall-frontend installed, but from there is where I'm getting lost.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well heimdall is the program you use to flash the firmware onto the phone. If you have that sorted already then the nextstep is to get the firmware to flash

Check http://forum.xda-developers.com for your specific device, theres tons of ROM's and information there.

Another website for a ROM is www.cyanogenmod.com
    Find your device and flash the Stable version. There's also a wiki there to explain the steps that you cover when you flash.

Personally I've never flashed using Ubuntu, I've only flashed via Odin in Windows, but then again the computer I had working didn't have any Ubuntu install but it should be similar.
    Goodluck
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword...but Steven Seagal is mightier than the Pen AND the Sword. http://tinyurl.com/ybnsx2w
    Don't have Dropbox or any cloud-hosting yet? Click this -->http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1MDE3NzY5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast