Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu desktop vs server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Ubuntu desktop vs server

Hi

I currently run an SME server and understand most basic topics for setup and domain records but feel that I would like to install more packages that I would not be able to do on SME due to their templating methods of the server design.

I believe ubuntu server may be a better choice at this time.

Is there any reason to load the server version vs the desktop version ?
    I mean can I install all the features of the server version from the desktop software center ?

I know performance will be slightly lower this way but I only have minimum users and probably also use as a minecraft server too.

Will be installing on a supermicro server with (2X) Xeon E5320 64bit quad core processors = 8 cores/4GB/80GB sata

Please advise
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Ubuntu desktop vs server

Quote Originally Posted by AgentZ86 View Post
    I mean can I install all the features of the server version from the desktop software center ?
    Yes, the only difference between the "server" and "desktop" versions are the packages installed by default. Once the system is installed, you can install any package you wnt (so you can install "server" packages on a "desktop" Ubuntu, and vice versa).

A lot of people consider it a taboo to install any "desktop" package on a "server". They are wrong, of course, use what you are most comfortable with (but please avoid Webmin).
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

I believe that the server version has task scheduler settings tweaked more for server loads than desktop loads, but I think the difference is slight.

By default the server install doesn't include a GUI, but all the same packages are available for install if you want them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    I believe that the server version has task scheduler settings tweaked more for server loads than desktop loads, but I think the difference is slight.
    It used to but not any more, the Desktop and Server versions now use an identical kernel.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    It used to but not any more, the Desktop and Server versions now use an identical kernel.
    Do they use the same repos too ?

Basically I install the Desktop version on the rack mount server just to test the server for now, but which packages should I install to make it a complete server / desktop combo ?

Is there something in the repos I should install to get this fixed up as a server too ?

Thanks

Beans

Basically I install the Desktop version on the rack mount server just to test the server for now, but which packages should I install to make it a complete server / desktop combo ?

Is there something in the repos I should install to get this fixed up as a server too ?

Thanks
    Same repo's. The server version has A LOT less gunk installed - obviously, as there's no GUI.

So just think of Ubuntu Server as a really stripped, lean and mean version of Ubuntu Desktop - optimized to run on servers (as in, no UI)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

but which packages should I install to make it a complete server / desktop combo ?
    The packages to install depend on the roles you want it to have. There is no particular set of packages to "make" it a combo.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Install the server and add a graphical environment. That way, you will not install stuff that you don't need.
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom View Post
    Install the server and add a graphical environment. That way, you will not install stuff that you don't need.
    This is potentially dangerous advice, as some people would misconstrue this as "apt-get install ubuntu-desktop" which is NOT right.

I found at first I wanted the GUI as a crutch/fallback, but found that with the overhead, headache of upgrades, and general insecurity from a GUI made me want to go CLI full time. I haven't looked back, love every bit of it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Yes.

There is no rule as to what a "complete server" (or a "complete desktop") is. Install what you need.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast