Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Install and use projectM music visualizer with pulseaudio support on Hardy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Howto: Install and use projectM music visualizer with pulseaudio support on Hard

Could be an issue with a compositing window manager?

Also, I'm running projectm in gnome, maybe it only affects gtk applications?

Sam

Beans

Re: Howto: Install and use projectM music visualizer with pulseaudio support on Hard

2.0 is working fine for me, however cmake has trouble detecting that pulseaudio is installed. i had to take out the pulseaudio checking lines in the cmake scripts to get it to compile, but it works great other than that

Beans

I installed the projectM and libvisual packages from the canonical repository for hardy. This got the libvisual plugins and the projectM libvisual plugin working in amarok. However, the projectM plugin did not behave well (graphical artifacts), and when I tried to bring up the menu (F1) the cursor locked and I could not recover without a restart.
    I installed using the current svn and didn't have any luck either. I have the projectM-libvisual plugin made, but amarok doesn't recognize it in amarok_libvisual.
    Code:
    amarok_libvisual
    libvisual CRITICAL: amarok_libvisual: visual_plugin_get_references(): Cannot load plugin: libgomp.so.1: shared object cannot be dlopen()ed
    jess
    bumpscope
    corona
    lv_flower
    infinite
    jakdaw
    lv_analyzer
    lv_gltest
    lv_scope
    madspin
    nastyfft
    oinksie
    When I run projectM-pulseaudio, I get this error:
    Code:
    projectM-pulseaudio
    dir:/usr/share/projectM/config.inp 
    reading ~/.projectM/config.inp 
    do_wait: drmWaitVBlank returned -1, IRQs don't seem to be working correctly.
    Try running with LIBGL_THROTTLE_REFRESH and LIBL_SYNC_REFRESH unset.
    projectM-pulseaudio: main/renderbuffer.c:2153: _mesa_reference_renderbuffer: Assertion `oldRb->Magic == 0xaabbccdd' failed.
    Aborted
    Finally, when I run projectM-test, I get the following output:
    Code:
    projectM-test
    dir:/usr/share/projectM/config.inp 
    reading ~/.projectM/config.inp 
    Screen Resolution: 1280 x 1024
    do_wait: drmWaitVBlank returned -1, IRQs don't seem to be working correctly.
    Try running with LIBGL_THROTTLE_REFRESH and LIBL_SYNC_REFRESH unset.
    configFile: /home/knielson/.projectM/config.inp
    MAX SAMPLES:2048
    No Textures Loaded from /usr/share/projectM/textures
    and the projectM window refuses to close. I compiled this with FBO turned off. When I compiled with FBO on, I got the same output followed by a seg fault, and no window.

I am using Gnome, and running on an integrated S3 ProSavage 8.
    Are these details helpful? What can I do to get things running?
    Last edited by fizyxnrd; October 14th, 2008 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Mis-pasted some output.

Beans

Well, I went ahead and installed projectM and libvisual through amarok on a friend's ubuntu system, and everything worked reasonably well. I'm forced to conclude that the S3 ProSavage GMA is just friggin' old. Hope this helps anyone with similar problems.

Beans

hi, i've tried to install projectm from synaptic, but after it installs the command isn't available... i've tried looking for the program but it seems it didn't got installed.. i've also tried doing the svn thing, but i get an error saying (on make):
    /home/rangua/projectm/projectM-Trunk/src/projectM-test/getConfigFilename.cpp:31:26: warning: character constant too long for its type
    /home/rangua/projectm/projectM-Trunk/src/projectM-test/getConfigFilename.cpp:32:34: warning: character constant too long for its type
    /home/rangua/projectm/projectM-Trunk/src/projectM-test/getConfigFilename.cpp:33:25: warning: character constant too long for its type
    /home/rangua/projectm/projectM-Trunk/src/projectM-test/getConfigFilename.cpp: In function ‘std::string getConfigFilename()’:
    /home/rangua/projectm/projectM-Trunk/src/projectM-test/getConfigFilename.cpp:31: error: invalid conversion from ‘int’ to ‘const char*’
    /home/rangua/projectm/projectM-Trunk/src/projectM-test/getConfigFilename.cpp:31: error: initializing argument 2 of ‘char* strcpy(char*, const char*)’
    /home/rangua/projectm/projectM-Trunk/src/projectM-test/getConfigFilename.cpp:32: error: invalid conversion from ‘int’ to ‘const char*’
    /home/rangua/projectm/projectM-Trunk/src/projectM-test/getConfigFilename.cpp:32: error: initializing argument 1 of ‘size_t strlen(const char*)’
    /home/rangua/projectm/projectM-Trunk/src/projectM-test/getConfigFilename.cpp:33: error: invalid conversion from ‘int’ to ‘const char*’
    /home/rangua/projectm/projectM-Trunk/src/projectM-test/getConfigFilename.cpp:33: error: initializing argument 1 of ‘size_t strlen(const char*)’
    make[2]: *** [projectM-test/CMakeFiles/projectM-test.dir/getConfigFilename.cpp.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [projectM-test/CMakeFiles/projectM-test.dir/all] Error 2
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    and i've also tried downloading the source and installing it, but when i do make install i can't find where the binary went (probably happens the same with the .deb).. here are the last lines of make install:
    -- Up-to-date: /usr/share/projectM/fonts/Vera.ttf
    -- Up-to-date: /usr/lib/pkgconfig/libprojectM.pc
    -- Installing: /usr/share/projectM/config.inp
    -- Up-to-date: /usr/include/libprojectM/projectM.hpp
    -- Up-to-date: /usr/include/libprojectM/event.h
    -- Up-to-date: /usr/include/libprojectM/dlldefs.h
    -- Up-to-date: /usr/include/libprojectM/fatal.h
    -- Up-to-date: /usr/include/libprojectM/PresetFrameIO.hpp
    -- Up-to-date: /usr/include/libprojectM/PCM.hpp

up from here all goes into /usr/share/projectM...
    help? please...

i'm using intrepid, amd64
    Last edited by Rangua; October 28th, 2008 at 10:02 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by durand View Post
    I'm trying to get this working in Intrepid but I'm getting an error at the start of compilation. I think this has something to do with new updates to svn.

I'm not sure what the problem is here

Thanks in advance.
    I had the same problem, but seem to have 'fixed' it now.
    The problem seems to be that FTGL.h is in lowercase (on my pc it was anyway - Intrepid 8.10) and thus it can't be found by the 'make'-command.

This is how i fixed it:

Before you do 'make'
    Code:
    cd libprojectM
    gedit Renderer.hpp
    then edit lines 28-30 from
    this:
    Code:
    #include <FTGL/FTGL.h>
    #include <FTGL/FTGLPixmapFont.h>
    #include <FTGL/FTGLExtrdFont.h>
    to this:
    Code:
    #include <FTGL/ftgl.h>
    /**#include <FTGL/FTGLPixmapFont.h> */
    /**#include <FTGL/FTGLExtrdFont.h> */
    after this, exit gedit
    and
    Code:
    cd ..
    make
    now the make succeeds, and you can proceed with
    Code:
    sudo make install
    Hope it works for you as well.

Beans

Re: Howto: Install projectM with pulseaudio on Intrepid

Just confirming this works fine for Intrepid.

Steps I used were:

Code:
    sudo aptitude install libglew1.5 libglew1.5-dev ftgl-dev libpulse-dev subversion cmake libvisual-0.4-dev libsdl-dev libqt4-dev build-essential
    Code:
    cd ~
    mkdir projectm
    cd projectm
    svn co https://projectm.svn.sf.net/svnroot/projectm/trunk projectM-Trunk
    Code:
    cd projectM-Trunk/src
    Code:
    ccmake .
    Now cmake will load. Press "c" to configure projectM. Highlight the CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE field, press enter and type "Release" there. Press enter again. Then highlight the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX field and change /usr/local to /usr/. Then press "c" again to configure it with those parameters.
    Had some warnings that looked like
    CMake Warning (dev) at projectM-libvisual/CMakeLists.txt:14 (ADD_DEFINITIONS):
    Policy CMP0005 is not set: Preprocessor definition values are now escaped
    automatically. Run "cmake --help-policy CMP0005" for policy details. Use
    the cmake_policy command to set the policy and suppress this warning.
    This warning is for project developers. Use -Wno-dev to suppress it.
    I went on anyway.

First make failed but lamelos' fix worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by lamelos View Post
    Code:
    cd libprojectM
    gedit Renderer.hpp
    then edit lines 28-30 from
    this:
    Code:
    #include <FTGL/FTGL.h>
    #include <FTGL/FTGLPixmapFont.h>
    #include <FTGL/FTGLExtrdFont.h>
    to this:
    Code:
    #include <FTGL/ftgl.h>
    /**#include <FTGL/FTGLPixmapFont.h> */
    /**#include <FTGL/FTGLExtrdFont.h> */
    after this, exit gedit
    and
    Code:
    cd ..
    Now cmake . worked
    Code:
    cmake .
    Quote Originally Posted by lamelos View Post
    Code:
    make
    now the make succeeds, and you can proceed with
    Code:
    sudo make install
    projectM-pulseaudio should be in Menu -> Sound and Video
    or cli
    Code:
    projectM-pulseaudio
    Worked today with svn revision 1198 on Intrepid.
    Custom Desktop / CPU: 4x2.40 GHz / Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 / RAM: 4Gb / Ubuntu Lucid (10.04 testing)
    Dell XPS 1710 / CPU: 2x2.16 GHz / Nvidia GeForce Go 7950GTX / RAM: 4Gb / Ubuntu Karmic (9.10)

Beans

I thought projectM was supposed to be in Intrepid repositories? I haven't upgraded yet.

Beans

Thanks to the folks working on this. I'm the kind of Ubuntu user that balks at 'programming' my machine - just want to reach into the repository and get what works. So I ditched MS Windows, bought a Dell 1525, went through the learning curve, upgraded to 8.04 Hardy and continued on the path of finding replacements for everything windows. I'm satisfied, except for that winamp-milkdrop thing. Found my way here. Hope one of you ubuntu projectm-libvisual-pulseaudio stalwarts will post a message letting us know when. Looks close. Many thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Seems like only the libvisual version is in the repos, not pulseaudio but compiling it was really fast and works great! Too bad I don't have a use for visualisations..

Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast