Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you like to answer a few questions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Would you like to answer a few questions?

I know K.Mandla is starting a series of interviews with people from the ubutuforums. It's hosted on his blog, but I wanted to do something different.
    When reading the Interview with Mike Basinger in this weeks newsletter, I got the idea about this post. It would be nice if we got to know one another by answering some questions. Just do a copy/paste on the questions and put in your answers. That way everyone who reads them will know a little more about you and your affiliation with computers, Linux and Ubuntu.
    If you feel uncomfortable with the first question or any parts of it, just answer no reply.

Tell as much as you’re willing about your “real” life — name, age, gender, location, family, religion, profession, education, hobbies, etc.

When and how did you become interested in computers? in Linux? in Ubuntu?

Do you use more that one operating system on your computer? If so, how many? and what are they?

Do you use more that one computer with Ubuntu? If so, How many?

How long after using Ubuntu before you join the forum?

Do you help others? Do others help you?

Are you a Linux Registered member? Are you an Ubuntu Registered member?

What distros do you regularly use?

What software do you regularly use?

What’s your favorite application? And what is Your least favorite?

What made you start using Ubuntu Linux?

Have you ever introduced others to Ubuntu? And if so, how many?

What would you like to see happen with Linux in the future? with Ubuntu?

If there was one thing you could tell all new Ubuntu users, what would it be?
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Would you like to answer a few questions?

Tell as much as you’re willing about your “real” life — name, age, gender, location, family, religion, profession, education, hobbies, etc.
    My name is Irv, I am a 69 year old male, married 47 years to the same lady I fell in love with. We have 6 children, 15 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren. We are both Christians. I am retired and my wife is just tired. I finished High School and have some college. I retired from an IT job, but do computer/Internet work from my home. My hobbies are computers, and fishing.

In 1978 or 1979 I bought my first computer. An Atari LX800. It was all up-hill from there. I have tried different flavors of Linux for the past 5 years but started using Ubuntu about a year and a half ago.

Do you use more that one operating system on your computer? If so, how many? and what are they?
    Yes, Ubuntu Linux and Windows XP.

I use three computers with Ubuntu. One laptop, and two servers. One server is running edubuntu.

I join the first time I logon. I believe it was the same day I installed Ubuntu.

Yes and Yes.

Yes and Yes.

Ubuntu.

Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice, Nvu, Evolution Mail (for the memos and calendar), Scribus, Eclipse, BibleTime, gedit, Krecipes, KmyMoney, Bluefish Editor, the Terminal, GIMP image editor, Xsane Image Scanner, K3b, not to mention all the games.
    I have two favorite; Firefox and OpenOffice. My least is Evolution Mail, I like the memos and calendar but not the mail part of it.

The first time I downloaded it and tried it, I just liked it. It was easy to use, but it took some getting use to. I guest I like it more then any windows I used because there was no hassle loading Anti-virus software. And I like the fact I could see what was happening under the surface. (at the line command) and in the package manager.

I have told many about it, and have install it on 13 computers for others so far.

I would like to see some standards across Linux distos. As far as Ubuntu goes, It is just going in the right direction. So the future looks good for it.

Use it, support it, because it has a real future. Or better said, “Try it, you'll like it!”
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

If you want those details from me, your gonna have to try and hack my system like every other spammer

But my bank card pin number is 33... ohh maybe not
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Vadim,19, male, Toronto Canada, still in university.

Probably at a young age. As for linux and ubuntu, I just got it this summer.

Nope, don't need anymore... just one does it.

Nope, just one laptop.

I think I joined right away or a short time after.

Yep, yep.

Nope, nope.

Just Ubuntu..

notepad++, firefox, openoffice, pidgin, liferea

Firefox I guess

Security.
    And Compiz looked amazing.

A few others, yeah. At least two of them use it as their main OS.

Evolve, become better, etc.

Have fun!

Beans

My name is Chris, I'm 16 from Tennessee, Knoxville area, and i'm male. I'm in high school, and i dont really care for religion.

My hobbies re IRC and learning about computers

In computers about 3 years ago, i got a computer in my room, (windows ME it was horrible) first night i got a virus. About a year ago i became interested in Linux, and i tested as many distros as i could, and i fell in love with ubuntu 7.10. I've been using Ubuntu for about a little over a month and i love every day using it, and learning it.

I Ubuntu as my main system, and i use virtualbox + windows xp to use mIRC (i know most people say it sucks, but... irc is almost impossible without it for me) one of these days i'll try something else, and only reason i use mIRC in xp is cause in wine it keeps disappearing

No, i have 3 systems in my house, 2 xp's and 1 Ubuntu

About a month after i started to use Ubuntu, but i've known about it for a long time, i use it regularly for my problems and usually find my answers

I love to help others but usually someone else gives a straight answer before i do, but i might give my 2 cents, i'm still a new, but i'm learning fast, and i use the forum as a whole for help

No, and no, i never heard of this until now

Ubuntu of course, why would i use anything else?

Banshee, amsn, compiz, beagle, limewire, deluge, xcruise (when i'm bored) firefox, virtualbox, ksnapshot, openoffice word processor (for school mostly) movie player, smplayer, and last but not least gwenview

hrmmm my favorite would have to be firefox lol in general that is, i always have banshee running though... and my least favorite? well they're all essential in my opinion, but i hate amarok it loads my music collection soooooo sloooow, (18,849 items last count)

I believe i forced myself to use linux, just to fit in with my friends, and the cool effects... but i use it as i would xp

Yes, i actually plan on burning some cds for my teachers and hand them a info sheet about ubuntu, and i try to mention when i can that i use linux, if i said Ubuntu most people wouldnt know what i was talking about. I dont think i've installed ubuntu on anyone's system or anything, but i showed a truck driver one time and he had previous knowledge of linux, he definitely was going to download Ubuntu after i showed him my desktop effects.

There's actually alot i'd love to see... i'd love to see linux be put into schools around the world, not just in poor countries, with full blown educational classes in PDF's and such for classes k-12. You essentially learn more when you use linux.

I am what i am because of what we all are.

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

I'm a 14 year old male, my name is Nathan Grubb. I'm in 8th grade. I live in Chewelah,WA.

I wasn't every really interested in computers until I found linux. I became interested in Linux sometime in the middle of summer break this year. I specifically joined these forums august,4th,07 so I guess that's the date I started using ubuntu

no, Ubuntu satisfies me

yes. 2.

probably maybe only a day or 2

yes, on these forums. Yes, many have helped with my problems

yes. no.

Ubuntu

Firefox. Thunderbird. Fluxbox.Gajim Pretty much the ones I use regularly
    my favorite app is firefox. my least favorite has to be..evolution.
    getting too many viruses on windows.
    EDIT: oh and I remember now, I saw so many amazing linux desktops!

Have you ever introduced others to Ubuntu? And if so, how many ?
    yes. 2. Neither use it though
    Not much, probably just more hardware support. Oh and yes at least a 10% market share

Linux is not windows
    Last edited by -grubby; December 17th, 2007 at 10:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I'm to impatient to fill this all out but I might get to it next week some time.
    すべてと、そして、すべてへのリナックスは自由を鳴らせました。
    Linux to all, and to all, let freedom ring.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I prefer to read K.Mandla's original Plus it's nicer to read it when the interviews come out occasionally, than having to sift through page after page in a thread.

Finally it's a shame because you are really taking someone elses idea and trying to mass produce it here.

As it once said on a bottle of perfume I used:

Innovate don't imitate

Recommended Resources: Ubuntu Linux Resources

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am William Small (well, not really, but I can't disclose my real identity without some trolls (former associates) waiting for the opportunity to find my identity.

I am currently a student, age 16. I work on computers, and solve different computer problems in my neighborhood, and build computers. I have my own blog, where I post alot of my discoveries and such at:
    http://php.8ez.com/drsmall/blog/

A few of my friends used different Linux distributions back when I was on windows, and I had no idea what "linux" even was. I was running Windows XP Media Center Edition, at the time, and the processor or something was bad on it. The system would freeze at random times, for no apparent reason.

I felt that if Linux would mess up my system, I wouldn't be out much, so I felt that I needed to try. This was back in November of '06. I ordered my first Ubuntu 6.06 cd from Shipit, which arrived in November, and I was playing around on it all that afternoon, from the Live CD.

That evening I asked my parents if I could install it, got their permission, and now I use Ubuntu and have never turned back

I have another system that runs LinuxMint, but I hardly ever do anything on it. It was just a test machine. My computer has two hard drives in it, and the second (80GB) has Ubuntu Server Edition loaded on it, and runs with Xorg, and VirtualBox. (I mainly designed an entire drive for VirtualBox).

LinuxMint derives from Ubuntu, so yes, I could say I do. My sister's computer also runs Ubuntu 7.04.

I joined the forums the same day, because when I installed Ubuntu on my sister's machine (that same night), GRUB totally wrecked, and I was on the forums looking for help. It turned out, she wanted Windows back, and lived with Windows for another 5-6 Months, until she finally braved it and wanted Ubuntu.

Yes, I am on the Beginner's Team, and I make it my main focus to help as many people as I can in the Absolute Beginners Area, and have learned alot of stuff, just from there. And yes, other's do help me. I won't name any names, that way no body gets left out

Yes, to both. Check my signature for that information.

Ubuntu 7.04

Mozilla Firefox, Terminal, IceWM, Xchat, Gaim, PcManFM

Probably my most favorite would be SSH. I absolutely love ssh for some reason. My least favorite, hmmm... Maybe mplayer. I never cared much for it's interface, but I have heard it is powerful. I prefer VLC over mplayer though.

Curiosity. I love to experiment, and I had used XP for years, and knew alot about it, which became boring over time. I wanted something new to try.

My sister. That's probably about all. I have told my friends, and some of the other pc tech's I know, but none of them use Linux or Ubuntu.

It would be grand to walk in BestBuy or Walmart and walk to the computer section and see computers lying around in boxes with Ubuntu stickers on them, rather than Vista stickers.

I would like to see Ubuntu make the market, and see alot of folk using it, as a every day desktop, and not have it just for 'linux geeks' anymore.

If you have a problem, use google and the forums to search out your problem first. There are alot of problems that have been answered already, so try that first. If you can't find an answer, or don't know how to word it right, start a new thread and ask the community.

Always ask your questions properly, search it out first, and be nice.

Dr Small
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Academic from prominent university (humanities), 30+ years old male, married, one kid. Project leader (not IT related). Not a computer freak by any means, but a long cold, dark winter force me to have several hobbies... sort of. I am a family man, but I need time alone from time to time to rest my ears.

If there was no Internet, I would use my pc for work for a few hours, then turn it off. And, open source is not vital to me, competent software is, however it was made, whoever made it.

I got interested in them when they could help me as productivity tools, and for rare gaming when I was 18.

Microsoft Windows for WORK, and Linux out of curiosity a few times a week. The lack of professional software force me back into Windows. Actually, this is written in a Windows session. I could easily live without Ubuntu, but I dare not remove it before I do a total reinstall of this PC... but... Never had to. Windows is running flawlessly after 4 years.

No. I have only one computer.

AFTER? I had to get help installing it and getting hardware working here.

Yes. Mostly in real life.

No, why should I. It is a waste of time, utterly useless. It is a number that does not change anything.

Only Ubuntu. I need more pro software, not more distros.

Microsoft Word, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator.

What’s your favorite application?
    Photoshop!

And what is Your least favorite?
    GIMP

Just curiosity. I was bored by the Windows XP theme (which I later changed to OpusOS with StyleXP).

No, I know no one who are interested, not even a few guys I know from computer science! I know none who need it.

Evolve faster, faster, faster in a user centered way. Let super geeks have their own StarTrek distro.

Dist-Update will break your system, something!
    Last edited by ImpressMe; December 30th, 2007 at 04:42 AM.
    Desktop Linux: No hay banda!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast