Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: CJK in Wine (Chinese, Japanese & Korean)

Beans

Re: HOWTO: CJK in Wine (Chinese, Japanese & Korean)

Well, I'll try playing around with that, now that I know what might be breaking it I'm determined to find a solution... In free time.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by IFailAtLinux View Post
    Well, I'll try playing around with that, now that I know what might be breaking it I'm determined to find a solution... In free time.
    I found it!

I did a fresh Fesity install this weekend. It seems some old locale mappings are deprecated. I found some of my Chinese lines broke, and when I tested out Japanese, it was broke too.

This should fix it for you. Head back to page 1 and download the new 0.41 release.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by D-- View Post
    Next, prepare for a hellishly long download depending on which fonts you have installed (and if you live in, say, China, like me--our Ubuntu mirror sucks)

Code:
    # apt-get install ttf-arphic-ukai ttf-arphic-uming ttf-kochi-gothic ttf-kochi-mincho ttf-mikachan ttf-mona ttf-sazanami-gothic ttf-saxanami-mincho ttf-vlgothic ttf-alee ttf-arphic-ukai ttf-arphic-uming ttf-baekmuk ttf-unfonts ttf-arphic-bkai00mp ttf-arphic-bsmi00lp ttf-arphic-gbsn00lp ttf-arphic-gkai00mp ttf-arphic-ukai ttf-arphic-uming
    First off I want to thank you for this tutorial, I use it often and is more useful than any other CJK/Wine resource I can find. However, I believe there is a type-o in this instruction. I may be mistaken but I believe the font "ttf-saxanami-mincho" should be "ttf-sazanami-mincho". Also, most of these commands require the user to either use fakeroot or sudo. It would also be a lot easier to copy/paste your commands if you did not begin them with a character for the prompt.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ttf-arphic-ukai ttf-arphic-uming ttf-kochi-gothic ttf-kochi-mincho ttf-mikachan ttf-mona ttf-sazanami-gothic ttf-sazanami-mincho ttf-vlgothic ttf-alee ttf-arphic-ukai ttf-arphic-uming ttf-baekmuk ttf-unfonts ttf-arphic-bkai00mp ttf-arphic-bsmi00lp ttf-arphic-gbsn00lp ttf-arphic-gkai00mp ttf-arphic-ukai ttf-arphic-uming
    Now that you have begun to expand wineloc to include more languages, have you considered contacting the wine development team to see if they can use your strategy to possibly implement locales into winecfg?

One more thing, it appears ubuntu china may no longer be offering VeraSansYuanTi.tar.gz, is there an alternative source for this font? I am receiving 404 Not Found errors when trying to download the file, and I know it used to work.
    Last edited by Kanji_Man; July 7th, 2007 at 12:28 AM.

Beans

Anyone tried this in debian? We dont have the /var/lib/locales/supported.d/ dir. Do you think I could just skip the first steps and go right to "dpkg-reconfigure locales"?

Hmm... Why am I typing this?? It's not like I'm gonna wait for an answer before I try...

Beans

Hi, no idea about Debian.

Kanji_Man: Thanks for your info. I will get that fixed pronto. I have a GUI version int he works via PHP-GTK. It works exactly like AppLocale for Windows, and the response I've gotten has been pretty positive. If someone wants to rewrite it in another language, that's their business, but I only know PHP-GTK.

I use the console marks #/$ because that is standard in most guides on this site. It tells a user whether the command needs to be executed as root or not. I would never advise executing any command as root that does not specifically need to be.

I would love to repost Vera Sans YuanTi, but I cannot afford to host a 70MB high traffic file on my webspace. I've put it on RapidShare at (http://rapidshare.com/files/43354195...YuanTi.7z.html), but it would be nice to have it hosted somewhere more ... stable.
    Last edited by D--; July 17th, 2007 at 05:33 AM.

Beans

This is what i saw when i typed the command:wineloc -l zh_TW /path/to/executable.exe

WineLocale 0.41 - CJK Launcher for Wine (cli)
    Error: Specified file '/path/to/executable.exe' not found

Could you give me an easier example for dummies
    thx a million

Beans

thx.............the problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by petercool View Post
    This is what i saw when i typed the command:wineloc -l zh_TW /path/to/executable.exe

WineLocale 0.41 - CJK Launcher for Wine (cli)
    Error: Specified file '/path/to/executable.exe' not found

Could you give me an easier example for dummies
    thx a million

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by D-- View Post
    Code:
    $ wget http://download.ubuntu.org.cn/software/VeraSansYuanTi.tar.gz
    $ tar -zxpvf VeraSansYuanTi.tar.gz
    # mv VeraSansYuanTi /usr/share/fonts/
    # fc-cache -f
    # cp /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/fonts/fonts.conf.old
    # cp /usr/share/fonts/VeraSansYuanTi/fonts.conf /etc/fonts/
    I was setting up another system today and was reminded of a problem I have been running accross and it took me a bit to trace down the problem. The fonts.conf included int he VeraSansYuanTi package which gets replaced in the section above does not contain entries for the fontconfig cacche directories. This eventually causes fontconfig to start complaining about it. To resolve this issue I simply copied the cachedir headers out of the old fonts.conf and added them to the new one::
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/fonts/fonts.conf
    Locate this section:
    Code:
    -->

<dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir>
       <dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1</dir> <dir>/usr/local/share/fonts</dir>
       <dir>~/.fonts</dir>

<!--
    And change it to look like this:
    Code:
    -->

<dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir>
       <dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1</dir> <dir>/usr/local/share/fonts</dir>
       <dir>~/.fonts</dir>

<!-- Font cache directory list -->

<cachedir>/var/cache/fontconfig</cachedir>
    	<cachedir>~/.fontconfig</cachedir>

<!--
    I'd also like to point out that the ttf-sazanami-mincho font is still listed as ttf-saxanami-mincho in your instructions (x should be a z).

Thank you again for this tutorial and your hard work creating winelocale. I use these instructions often and they continue to be the best reference on the net for setting up multilingual wine and I am happy to report that this approach still works well with Gutsy.

Beans

the true type chinese fond verasansyuanti can't be downloaded from link above

try this out.

wget http://download.linuxsir.org/FreeTTF...yuanti.tar.bz2
    Last edited by sutem; November 14th, 2007 at 03:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I want to thank you. I spent too many hours trying to figure out how to run my school's required CoolMessenger (a Korean piece of software). wineloc finally did it! Great love to you!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast