Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu One being forced on us through Update Manager

Beans

Angry Ubuntu One being forced on us through Update Manager

I Do Not use Ubuntu One. I had uninstalled it and the associated Ubuntu One Music Store through the Ubuntu Software Center YEARS AGO. I just checked, it is still uninstalled.

Why then is Update Manager wanting to install Ubuntu One client, Ubuntu One client Python libraries and Ubuntu One synchronization daemon library?

I feel it is being forced on me when I choose not to use it. I do not know how to remove it from showing up in Update Manager(I could only find posts with older Ubuntu versions that use Synaptics PM and do not apply to 12.04), and frankly should not have to if I uninstalled the applications, so I will have to uncheck it each time I update something. This is not acceptable.

This is the kind of BS that Apple or Google would pull. The reason many of us choose to deal with Canonical/Ubuntu, is because they are not a greedy publicly traded company that tries to force products down their customers throats.

I realize I may not get an answer from someone at Canonical, but I need to demonstrate my frustration with this decision by them.
    Last edited by DigitalGrinch; May 28th, 2014 at 08:28 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Ubuntu One being forced on us through Update Manager

Hello!

In a few days nobody will be using Ubuntu One, since it is being shut down. I doubt that Canonical has any intent to force it on you.

Odd, then, that updates are being offered.

What version of Ubuntu are you using?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalGrinch View Post
    I feel it is being forced on me when I choose not to use it. I do not know how to remove it from showing up in Update Manager(I could only find posts with older Ubuntu versions that use Synaptics PM and do not apply to 12.04), and frankly should not have to if I uninstalled the applications, so I will have to uncheck it each time I update something. This is not acceptable.

This is the kind of BS that Apple or Google would pull. The reason many of us choose to deal with Canonical/Ubuntu, is because they are not a greedy publicly traded company that tries to force products down their customers throats.

I realize I may not get an answer from someone at Canonical, but I need to demonstrate my frustration with this decision by them.
    Whoa, slow down there, buddy.
    Let's not leap to tinfoil-hat conclusions just yet.
    There's a chance that Major League Baseball and it's nefarious allies had nothing to do with it.

The usual answer is that you reinstalled, upgraded-to, or otherwise installed an application that depends upon ubuntuone-client.

The package manager will happily tell you:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove --simulate ubuntuone-client

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Hello!

In a few days nobody will be using Ubuntu One, since it is being shut down. I doubt that Canonical has any intent to force it on you.

Odd, then, that updates are being offered.

What version of Ubuntu are you using?
    UbuntuOne is going away? Great news.

12.04 LTS x64

Quote Originally Posted by ian-weisser View Post
    Whoa, slow down there, buddy.
    Let's not leap to tinfoil-hat conclusions just yet.
    There's a chance that Major League Baseball and it's nefarious allies had nothing to do with it.
    what? is this an inside joke or a joke from a movie I have not seen?

The usual answer is that you reinstalled, upgraded-to, or otherwise installed an application that depends upon ubuntuone-client.

The package manager will happily tell you:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove --simulate ubuntuone-client
    Thanks for that command, although it raises more questions.
    I did not have the client installed according to Software Center, so something else installed it, and prevented it from showing up there. What would be so sneaky?

This is what I just removed by taking out the --simulate of that command(after testing with it in)
    Remv gir1.2-ubuntuoneui-3.0 [3.0.1-0ubuntu1]
    Remv ubuntuone-client-gnome [3.0.1-0ubuntu1]
    Remv libubuntuoneui-3.0-1 [3.0.1-0ubuntu1]
    Remv libsyncdaemon-1.0-1 [3.0.2-0ubuntu2]
    Remv ubuntuone-control-panel [3.0.1-0ubuntu1]
    Remv ubuntuone-client [3.0.2-0ubuntu2]

All are related to ubuntuone, so not sure how it was re-added to my system, as I never installed any of these packages. Nefarious? yes, I think so

FYI I also had to remove python libs as they did not get autoremoved

Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove python-ubuntuone-client
    Last edited by DigitalGrinch; May 29th, 2014 at 12:52 AM.

Beans

what? is this an inside joke or a joke from a movie I have not seen?
    Well, I suppose so.

Thanks for that command, although it raises more questions.
    I did not have the client installed according to Software Center, so something else installed it, and prevented it from showing up there. What would be so sneaky?

Ubuntu's packaging system is _completely_ transparent and trustable. I've mucked about deeply in it for years.
    Canonical has _NO_ backdoor to install software without your consent. None.

Occam's razor suggests that you, not Canonical, not malware, not aliens, not Major League Baseball, not the Rotfang Conspiracy, likely did it at some point in the past few years. There are lots of ways to unknowingly add or reinstall software, and to overlook the 'are you sure?' dialogs. I've done it, too.

User negligence is understandably frustrating (been there!), but it's NOT someone else's nefarious intent.

Autoremove doesn't work for packages installed during the original install of Ubuntu. So either you have never removed python-ubuntuone-client on that install, or you manually installed it in the past. There is a very good technical reason for Ubuntu preventing autoremove on new-install packages: Users were mistakenly uninstalling big chunks of their system when trying to make minor changes that affected the -desktop metapackage.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

also Ubuntu one was actually a good cloud service. fast and reliable. but they couoldn't compete with others in pricing & capacity.

since they stopped it you can actually create your own service like that (if you have a server at home).

these kind of services have various uses, from simple backup, to sharing pcis with your closed circle of people, to sharing work and collaboration with remote offices.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Update manager's job is to make sure that updates go smoothly. Before it existed problems with problems with updating between versions were far more common than they are now. One of the things it does is makes sure that you have a reasonable set of default packages installed, as new ubuntu release can bring new packages, which an 'apt-get dist-upgrade' might miss. A side effect of this is that sometimes a package that you have chosen to un-install will get reinstalled.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Want to know why the ubuntuone-client is updated? Run apt-get changelog ubuntuone-client.
    ubuntuone-client (3.0.2-0ubuntu2.2) precise-proposed; urgency=medium

* debian/patches/00_farewell-u1.patch:
    - Pop up a notice when connecting the service will stop on June 1 2014.
    - Avoid trying to connect after June 1 2014. (LP: #1306225)

-- Rodney Dawes <rodney.dawes@ubuntu.com> Thu, 22 May 2014 21:26:57 -0400
    Not so scary even for the really paranoid.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There is another Ubuntu One that has/had nothing much to do with the UbuntuOne cloud storage offered by Canonical. I have just used this other Ubuntu One to log in to this forum. Ubuntu One is the the name of what used to be called Ubuntu Single Sign On.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_One
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    also Ubuntu one was actually a good cloud service. fast and reliable. but they couoldn't compete with others in pricing & capacity.
    It certainly wasn't as fast or dependable as Dropbox.

Ubuntu's packaging system is _completely_ transparent and trustable. I've mucked about deeply in it for years.
    Canonical has _NO_ backdoor to install software without your consent. None.
    They did have the ability to shift from OpenOffice to LibreOffice at the repo level so that one "update" removed OpenOffice and replaced it with LibreOffice. That's technically a little bit non-transparent, though certainly not a backdoor, either. (And I'm not knocking the decision at all, which was a good one.)
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast