Thread: Which UBUNTU would be the best for my hardware?(Including Lubuntu,Xububuntu,etc.)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Which UBUNTU would be the best for my hardware?(Including Lubuntu,Xububuntu,etc.)

Intel Celeron CPU 2.66GHz
    1,24GB RAM
    64MB VGA

I would even install unsupported versions (like 11.04).I have 12.10 right now, an it's slow. I had 12.04 too: for the first days, it was fast, but then it became veery slow....

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Which UBUNTU would be the best for my hardware?(Including Lubuntu,Xububuntu,etc.)

It also depends on the graphics chip/card. So please post the specs of that!

I would suggest a lighter desktop environment than standard Ubuntu. And I would strongly recommend a version with support (to get security updates), unless you are not connecting to the internet. And you need a 32-bit version.

Xubuntu 12.04 LTS (supported until April 2015)
    Precise Gnome Classic Tweaks (supported until April 2017)
    LXLE (supported until April 2017)

or the new Lubuntu 13.10.

Do you intend to dual boot or replace the whole present system(s) on your hard disk drive?

Have a look at the following thread Old hardware, particularly the post #1 and #39-40.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Which UBUNTU would be the best for my hardware?(Including Lubuntu,Xububuntu,etc.)

I have a Intel 845G Chipset.
    (don't really know the specs of it...)
    And im planning to replace the current OS.

Beans

It's Unity that's slowing you down, because it requires 3D accel.
    Get whatever version of Xubuntu or Lubuntu you want, and you should be okay.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    It's Unity that's slowing you down, because it requires 3D accel.
    Get whatever version of Xubuntu or Lubuntu you want, and you should be okay.
    +1. DON'T install older versions. 11.** releases are no longer supported and you are heading down a dead-end street with that. Forget. 12.04 LTS, Xubuntu or Lubuntu for your specs. You can get even lighter (a minimal install would do the trick with a lightweight desktop environment also, but you'll get to that).

Good luck.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevensthunar View Post
    I have a Intel 845G Chipset.
    (don't really know the specs of it...)
    And im planning to replace the current OS.
    Then I suggest that you try the One Button Installer and you can easily install several tarballs and that way try several versions. The tarballs are smaller to download than the corresponding iso files, and the installation is fast and simple. If you decide to try Lubuntu 13.10, tweak it to use UXA acceleration for the graphics card. (This is described in README.pdf.) Ubuntu 12.04 LTS based versions (Xubuntu, LXLE, Precise Gnome Classic Tweaks) need no UXA acceleration (according to my experience with similar Intel graphics).

See more details in

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/phillw/OBI

Last edited by sudodus; November 3rd, 2013 at 04:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I started with 11.x Ubuntu on my little Netbook but 12.x versions just killed it. I ran the Gnome classic shell for a while which was a little better. Finally I went with Xubuntu 13.04 and now 13.10 but was prepared to go with Lubuntu if it was too slow.

I am a big fan of the Live USB Key or even CD Live version to try it out. I have tested lots of features and even installed SW to test the graphics.