Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resizing Eps/ps files

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Resizing Eps/ps files

Hi people

To publish a scientific article, I need to rescale all my eps figures to the appropriate size. I've tried googling around for ghostscript solution not no avail. Importing into inkscape isn't an option as it doesn't successfully import the figure

Does anyone have any suggestions or recipes

Cheers

Andy
    Last edited by vancheese; June 14th, 2010 at 08:12 AM. Reason: I pushed enter too soon before post was finished!

Beans

Re: Resizing Eps/ps files

If you're using LaTeX it's trivial. Just do something like this:

Code:
      \includegraphics[width=60mm]{myfig.eps}

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I know, but the journal wants the picture files submitted in the right size!
    For 95% of the time, that would work perfectly

Beans

What do you mean by the right size? Do you mean the embedded preview image? Or are they not able to process eps files?

I don't really understand why setting the width of the graphic isn't acceptable here.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vancheese View Post
    Yes, I know, but the journal wants the picture files submitted in the right size!
    For 95% of the time, that would work perfectly
    How about something like:
    Code:
    pstops 1:0@0.8 infile.ps outfile.ps
    which would resize all pages in infile.ps to 80% of their original size in outfile.ps.

H

Beans

Oh, that's a good program to know about.

Still, I don't get why scaling inside of the LaTeX document isn't acceptable. I haven't heard of this before. Asking you to scale the EPS sounds a lot like someone asking you to scale a TrueType font.

Beans

Maybe Image Magick would be an option for the job. Open your image

Code:
    display myimage.eps
    Resize and export it as a eps file.

Beans
    Distro

I found that I can do this all in scribus so I have!
    I will try out these tips too!

Thanks

Andy

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Chronon View Post

Still, I don't get why scaling inside of the LaTeX document isn't acceptable. I haven't heard of this before. Asking you to scale the EPS sounds a lot like someone asking you to scale a TrueType font.
    I know, But this journal is a bit silly, I am using their latex style file and it differs from what they ask from in the authors' guidelines
    Last edited by vancheese; June 16th, 2010 at 01:05 PM. Reason: improving the grammar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Lightbulb Re: Resizing Eps/ps files

Good day!

Chronon, you're completely right that it's a stupid thing to do, but nevertheless some scientific publications require you to do it, like the Journal of Chemical Physics. Which frankly seems to me like a useless pain in the *ss for all of us.

I guess they want to make sure that, even if authors work in oversized graphs, at least in this last step they will realise that the text they put in them is way too small to be read in the real size. At least, that's the only logical explanation that occurred to me.

I also find myself now on the need of resizing the EPS files again for this same reason.

In the past, I used some kind of graphics program to import the EPS, resize it, and then export it again. Sometimes converting first the EPS file to PDF format, because some programs import it better. Although I could make this solution work, I wasn't very happy about it: some programs mess it up when importing EPS or don't export them in very good quality.

So, since I knew that EPS graphs where defined using the Postscript programming language, I thought that it would be much neater to directly modify the code that generates the graph, to obtain the image in the required size. I explain here how I did it, in case someone finds it useful.

1. Install some kind of hexadecimal editor (I went with Midnight Commander).
    2. Open the EPS file with it and add the following line after the EPS header (where sx and sy are the factor values you need to rescale the image to the required size).
      Code:
      sx sy scale
    3. Edit the x and y values in the following line to define the corresponding new page size (otherwise your graph will have useless blank space or the image will be cropped).
      Code:
      %%BoundingBox 0 0 x y
      In one of the graphs there was this extra line and I also had to change the x and y values.
      Code:
      %%PageBoundingBox 0 0 x y

I don't know whether the experts will be horrified, but it worked perfectly for me.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Margaret Dumont; January 25th, 2012 at 01:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast