Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Edgy 6.10 from an .iso file

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: HOWTO: Install Edgy 6.10 from an .iso file

Quote Originally Posted by YodaJones View Post
    ...Does it matter that the Ubuntu Studio system is SATA and the laptops drive is ATA? I presume that the tower Ubuntu Studio system has both on the motherboard.
    Hi,

The whole dance above is to get grub on the drive without playing too much with the command shell.

I googled "Grub install" and most of the hits looked too painful, so I came up with this approach.

step (9) might need to read:

title Install Ubuntu
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/ubuntu7/vmlinuz vga=normal ramdisk_size=14972 root=/dev/hda1 rw --
    initrd /boot/ubuntu7/initrd.gz

note the bold difference.

I hope you are successful. Please come back to us either way

Beans

Hi John!

I finally was able to get back to this matter.
    I used your 9 step process with the change you suggested in your last post (/dev/hda1). I was able to get the setup to run, however when I got to the disk partitioning part of the installation I found myself in a loop because I was unable to create/modify the partitions on the drive.

So I did some checking and found that indeed installing grub alone is kind of funky, but I managed to get it working. I gparted the drive again by removing it from the insides of the laptop and installing in a empty USB drive caddy which I then plugged into a running Ubuntu system.

This time the installation ran like a champ!

You are not going to believe this part: When I finally got the laptop running the display is not working properly. It is af iff the display is divided vertically into thirds. On the left hand side of the screen you can see the menu's (applications, Places and System) however the center "third" and the right hand "third" of the screen repeat the normal right hand side of the screen (power off icon, date/time). I suppose that there is a display driver issue now.

This computer ran windows properly, so I do not believe that the problem is hardware. Also the text mode installation ran properly, although small since it seemed that the script vga=normal forces perhaps 640x480 mode.

This is a Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop. I am not sure what the display adapter is inside.

Some additional info: I can logon to the laptop, it is just impossible to do anything since everything that gets displayed is missing the right side, like menu's and dialog boxes. To logon I must do so blind because I cannot see the text box where the username and password go.

So this has been quite a ride. I struggled to get Ubuntu on this laptop (and it does run nice and quick!) only the display is a issue now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

@yoda, try to start in the recovery mode from grub. You can manipulate your video setting from their using the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf

At everyone. I just used the process with gusty. Had a text mode dapper install and I used its grub menu to do this. Made a /boot on another ext3 partition and dropped the alternate-gusty and the 2 files from the online archive for gusty in the folder. The install picked up the iso first time without me switching consoles. It warned me about not loading kernel modules and said the install will probably fail, well it didnt find my lan card but since i had the iso no network was needed anyway. It installed fine and booted perfectly

Beans
    Distro

Hi YodaJones,

Dr. Nick's suggestion about editing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file is valid but you might run into more problems for the following reasons:

Your laptop hard drive now has a copy of Ubuntu that's meant to run on your UbuntuStudio/Desktop system. You might get it to work by editing lots of files like the above /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, but it will mean more pain in the long run.

I personally think it will be easier to go back to this stage:

Quote Originally Posted by YodaJones View Post
    I used your 9 step process with the change you suggested in your last post (/dev/hda1). I was able to get the set-up to run, however when I got to the disk partitioning part of the installation I found myself in a loop because I was unable to create/modify the partitions on the drive.
    Choose the 'Manual' option on the below '[!!] Partition disks' screen:

I unfortunately do not have screen shots for the next section. You will need to specify your large partition
    hda2 as your root, home etc... proceed from here.

Choose not to install Grub as it is already installed.

You should now have a copy of Ubuntu installed but correctly configured for your laptop hardware.

It might not boot as the Grub entry will be configured for the UbuntuStudio/Desktop system? Try editing the Grub entry so root points to:

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-16-generic
    root (hd3,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic root=/dev/hda2 ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-generic
    quiet
    savedefault

notice root=/dev/hda2 change. Once you get into Ubuntu edit the menu.lst file so the root=/dev/hda2 edit is permanent.

Please come back to us either way. I know this seems like a very long painful process but you will be helping lots of people in a similar predicament.

Ciao

John

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nick View Post
    It warned me about not loading kernel modules and said the install will probably fail, well it didnt find my lan card but since i had the iso no network was needed anyway. It installed fine and booted perfectly
    Hi Dr. Nick,

did you choose the vmlinuz & initrd.gz files from the gusty download site?

John

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by john_spiral View Post
    Hi Dr. Nick,

did you choose the vmlinuz & initrd.gz files from the gusty download site?

John
    Yep, chose them from the gusty site and got the alternate cd via bit torrent. They had a /current folder and 2 others that had dates in them. I just got the one out of /current so maybe it was newer then the last iso released.

As I said It installed fine and I didnt have to drop to terminal 2 and run any commands at all, After I renamed all the other .iso files I had, it picked the alternate up automatically.

Due to the kernel modules I had no network card, but that didnt hurt at all. Network worked on first reboot and I had a kernel update waiting for me then, Which leads me to think that the kernel I had on the iso was the version just before the vmlinuz and initrd from /current causing the mismatch.

I imagine once gusty is final that issue will disappear.

Beans

Hi John,

I will have time tomorrow (Saturday) to try your suggestions.

Interestingly, when Ubuntu (7.04) boots the pre-login screens display perfectly.

I tried to use "Envy" but it said that there were no drivers for my card. I was able to determine that the laptop has a "Rage Mobility M3 AGP 2X" in case that helps find a solution.

John

I only have windows installed on the machine I am trying to move Feisty onto and my only boot option aside from the hard drive is to USB but I do not have the original USB floppy drive hardware the BIOS probably expects. Anyways, is there anyway to install GRUB without already having linux? Can I reference an ISO that is on a Windows partition? Is there any hope for me or should I start buying USB drives in the hope that one will be bootable?

Beans
    Distro

Just to confirm, Burning the iso as a cd image and booting off the cd are not a possibility in your case?

If you can that is always the easiest method, If not though thier is still some hope.

It looks like your machine doesnt have a boot from cd option from what you said.

You can install grub in windows from here
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/grub4dos/

and it can be setup to read the iso off a windows partition I believe. The only problem is this.

If you only have one partition then you will have to wipe your windows partition out in the installer, including grub and the .iso you will install from. You may be able to resize the partitions and work around it somehow.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Definitely the partitioning will be the problem. Cant boot with gparted LiveCD etc.

I would suggest pulling the Hard disk out and doing all the work on it in another, more modern PC. You can partition it while in Linux on another system [LiveCD or an install OS] and get the iso on to it all ready to go.

Also, unlike Windows, you could do the whole install on the other system and them plunk the HDD back into the original system and all done, ready for you to use.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast